EURO 2012: Thai Court Declines To Order Broadcasts

webfact

And so we come full circle back to the issue of GMM hijacking the FTA channels to air the tournament...coffee1.gif

Check out some of the European countries and how the content was shared between pay TV and FTA from country to country if you are actually interested in informing yourself on how this works in a non corrupt, properly regulated fashion.

Does it not strike you as strange that literally hundreds of countries aired the tournament and didn't turn it into the fiasco that Thailand has managed to?!

No, not hijacking. What they did was on-sell the rights to the football without encroaching on the rights of companies in other countries that have bought the EUFA feed.

Other countries have different laws, contracts and different environments, so it's difficult to compare how Sky and BBC work compared to GMM and FTA in Thailand.

It was happening. The courts reviewed the situation. It's still happening. Therefore, one can assume that the regulations allow this to happen.

If the laws/regulations are changed, what will probably happen is that next time there won't be ANY free to air broadcast of the football.

You're so right.

I understand True position, they sold something they didn't have, they got caught red-handed so they try to blame someone else for the fiasco.

But the worst is it works ! All these idiots who support True !

You're not happy to watch football free of charge with the shrimp mustaches ? So next time you'll have to buy a Grammy box.

Idiots !

Edited by JurgenG

Was in my Big C yesterday 2 salesmen standing under a huge euro 2012 sign at the entrance with loads of GMM boxes on a table at 1,500 bht telling everyone buy this item to watch the euro's only trouble is it finishes tomorrow Can see stock piles of these boxes being made redundant come Monday and I have to confess I will be made up if that happens I for one hope GMM go under they robbed the public of watching a football game, had no one bid for it in Thailand it still would have been shown on channels 3,5, and 9 as these are FREE channels !!!

And so we come full circle back to the issue of GMM hijacking the FTA channels to air the tournament...coffee1.gif

Check out some of the European countries and how the content was shared between pay TV and FTA from country to country if you are actually interested in informing yourself on how this works in a non corrupt, properly regulated fashion.

Does it not strike you as strange that literally hundreds of countries aired the tournament and didn't turn it into the fiasco that Thailand has managed to?!

No, not hijacking. What they did was on-sell the rights to the football without encroaching on the rights of companies in other countries that have bought the EUFA feed.

Other countries have different laws, contracts and different environments, so it's difficult to compare how Sky and BBC work compared to GMM and FTA in Thailand.

And the question is were they legally allowed to on sell those rights in the manner that they did, or did that infringe on Thai consumer's rights? Despite what some are trying to say that nobody has a right to watch soccer, consumers do have a right to believe that they are not being lied to when they purchase True Visions and the package they buy says it includes "free to air" channels.

Somebody redefined the term "free to air" to draw a distinction between terrestrial FTA and satellite FTA, thereby infringing those rights. It was either True, GMM, the FTA stations, or a combination of all of the above. The courts need to resolve this obviously, and new regulations need to be put forth to make sure it doesn't happen again.

you totally miss the point, nobody is saying everyone has the right to watch football, what is being said here is that GMM should not have hijacked the free channel network causing this debacle in the first place, they should not have been allowed to take over certain aspects of the free terestrial network, if they wanted to pay for the football rights and screen them to viewers - they should have done it with their own network - that is basically what went on here and I'm pretty sure some backhanders were exchanged to allow them to do so, it was fundamentally wrong and improper - it won't happen again I'd assume once the rules have been laid out

GMM bought the rights to UEFA2012 without the means to screen it on their network UEFA were conned and so were the Thai people and those that foolishly bought GMM boxes - the whole thing was a scam from the start

But they didn't hijack the terrestrial signals,

only the PASS THROUGH signals to other satellite downlinks.

And that based on the UEFA contract to

broadcast ONLY encrypted

if it goes out of the national foot print they are contracted with.

Deals could have been made between GMM Z and any and ALL

satellite providers in Thailand for retransmission of the encrypted signals.

The little ones didn't try and True wouldn't or didn't, or whatever happened.

It's never been said once anywhere GMM was unwilling to sub-license the signal,

as long as it was encrypted to other satellite services, with the exception of the

agreed upon terrestrial stations getting it,

but NOT a freebie pass through in the clear to wide footprint satellite.

The courts when with this

Edited by animatic

And the question is were they legally allowed to on sell those rights in the manner that they did, or did that infringe on Thai consumer's rights? Despite what some are trying to say that nobody has a right to watch soccer, consumers do have a right to believe that they are not being lied to when they purchase True Visions and the package they buy says it includes "free to air" channels.

Somebody redefined the term "free to air" to draw a distinction between terrestrial FTA and satellite FTA, thereby infringing those rights. It was either True, GMM, the FTA stations, or a combination of all of the above. The courts need to resolve this obviously, and new regulations need to be put forth to make sure it doesn't happen again.

If True are selling their services and saying that it includes free to air, then it's them that is at fault. If someone is paying True to get free to air, then it's hardly free to air, is it?

Once again, given that the courts have looked at the deal and said there is nothing legally wrong with it, one must assume that GMM WERE legally allowed to on sell those rights in the manner that they did.

Thai consumers still have access to free to air, but the ones that paid True for access need to find another method to get it.

Was in my Big C yesterday 2 salesmen standing under a huge euro 2012 sign at the entrance with loads of GMM boxes on a table at 1,500 bht telling everyone buy this item to watch the euro's only trouble is it finishes tomorrow Can see stock piles of these boxes being made redundant come Monday and I have to confess I will be made up if that happens I for one hope GMM go under they robbed the public of watching a football game, had no one bid for it in Thailand it still would have been shown on channels 3,5, and 9 as these are FREE channels !!!

I am very happy with GMM because they send Eurosport and I can watch the Tour de France and some more good sports, Thereby it is much cheaper then Truevision.

Who cares, there is only one match left !!!

Welcome to Thaivisa welcomeani.gifsignthaivisa.gif

Just so you know,

The news forum is where we indulge in pointless bickering over and over again, on the same subjects day after day, it's great fun. biggrin.png

Well he lasted long enough to see it, before the exit.

you totally miss the point, nobody is saying everyone has the right to watch football, what is being said here is that GMM should not have hijacked the free channel network causing this debacle in the first place, they should not have been allowed to take over certain aspects of the free terestrial network, if they wanted to pay for the football rights and screen them to viewers - they should have done it with their own network - that is basically what went on here and I'm pretty sure some backhanders were exchanged to allow them to do so, it was fundamentally wrong and improper - it won't happen again I'd assume once the rules have been laid out

GMM bought the rights to UEFA2012 without the means to screen it on their network UEFA were conned and so were the Thai people and those that foolishly bought GMM boxes - the whole thing was a scam from the start

But they didn't hijack the terrestrial signals,

only the PASS THROUGH signals to other satellite downlinks.

And that based on the UEFA contract to

broadcast ONLY encrypted

if it goes out of the national foot print they are contracted with.

Deals could have been made between GMM Z and any and ALL

satellite providers in Thailand for retransmission of the encrypted signals.

The little ones didn't try and True wouldn't or didn't, or whatever happened.

It's never been said once anywhere GMM was unwilling to sub-license the signal,

as long as it was encrypted to other satellite services, with the exception of the

agreed upon terrestrial stations getting it,

but NOT a freebie pass through in the clear to wide footprint satellite.

The courts when with this

If that was really the case and this is all really down to UEFA why were all cable providers also prevented from accessing the FTA channels? OR are you suggesting that somehow the cable "footprint" extends past country borders...