Cycling Over Laos Border/ Putting A Mountain Bike On Bus

sk1max

I know a lot of guys in Chiang Mai cycle, I was thinking of putting my mountain bike on the bus to Nong Khai and cycling over to Laos and cycling back to Chiang Mai.

My question is are there any problems or restrictions taking a bicycle over the border? and is it safe/convenient to put a bike under the bus?

I do a lot of cycling but have never used a bus or crossed a border.

Thanks for any advice guys.

Edited by sk1max

I've ridden in Lao and can give you details if you are interested (pm me), but can't help with the border crossing as I jumped on a cargo boat for a ride across the mighty mighty Mekong, but can't see why there would be a problem, I've ridden across the Thai/Burmese border. Have fun!

I've ridden in Lao and can give you details if you are interested (pm me), but can't help with the border crossing as I jumped on a cargo boat for a ride across the mighty mighty Mekong, but can't see why there would be a problem, I've ridden across the Thai/Burmese border. Have fun!

How was riding in Laos? I have not explored much off the beaten path yet but want to. No problems?

Absolutely amazing, rode the Ho Chi Mihn trail using a map by GT Riders (available in CM) as a rough guide. No problem except portable water and places to sleep. Well once came upon a group with knifes who wanted money to cross a bridge but all worked out well. I rode towards the Vietnam border for a week and saw beautiful scenery and had incredible encounters with people, some I can only imagine have never seem a white man. The tracks were pretty tough in points and it was very hot etc. so I suggest training for what you plan on doing. Stayed in villages of true hunters and gatherers, no chickens or veg plots, it took some begging but they didn't want me to leave in the morning. First time I've encountered tribal topless women in S.E. Asia, that kind of thing. Have pictures if your interested and more info of route etc. Best way to see, smell, hear and feel the country!

• Like 1