Where To Buy A Tablet?

Prasert

Last week I had a look for a new android tablet in both MBK and Pantip. Two simple requirements:

- built-in GPS

- 7"

and if possible

- Honeycomb or ICS

- built-in 3G

It turns out that most sales people have no idea about what they're selling. One seller was waiting 20 minutes for a GPS fix inside MBK. I thought it was funny, as there's no way to get a GPS signal inside a building and I was pretty sure the tablet didn't have a GPS option.

In the end, the only option turned out to be Samsung. No tablets from ZTE or Huawei.

So where do I go for a better choice of tablets?

Budget?

There have been quite a few good threads here re" budget tablets.

I thing the integrated (takes a SIM directly) 3G requirement may force you towards a 'name' brand as the budget tablets typically require a specialized USB stick.

Further you should really research GPS capabilities or test them first as this can be a highly variable feature. For example, on the first ASUS Transformer they used a metal case which blocked the GPS reception, then replaced it with a plastic strip.

http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/spec/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_7-0_Plus_16GB.asp

http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/spec/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_7-7_16GB.asp

The Android 4.0.x requirement can probably be addressed via an upgrade on any name brand products with Honeycomb, which I still find better for Tablet use.

I thought it was funny, as there's no way to get a GPS signal inside a building and I was pretty sure the tablet didn't have a GPS option.

Obviously nobody told Samsung Tab that as have no problem getting GPS location inside home.

Budget - I guess I'll be looking at the price range 8k-11k. Huawei Mediapad was 9900 at Tesco in May (but no longer available). Samsung Tab 2 is 12600 so anything more expensive must be better quality.

I'll be using the tablet for application testing, so Android v3.2 would be good to test compatibility. The app I'm working on relies on location services, so GPS is a requirement. 3G-sticks don't provide location services, so built-in 3G would be nice.

I thought it was funny, as there's no way to get a GPS signal inside a building and I was pretty sure the tablet didn't have a GPS option.

Obviously nobody told Samsung Tab that as have no problem getting GPS location inside home.

Are you sure you get a GPS signal? Cell towers provide location services too, but slightly less accurate.I'm pretty sure a GPS signal will not reach the 4th floor in MBK....

I saw a ZTE model in Lotus Pattaya, but this was in May as well, same time they had the Huawei model you mentioned. Was more expensive at 10900 I think, but felt very solid and nice ergonomic shape.

Was tempted, but their demo model was out of battery, couldn't find the charger and could not get exact model nr./specs from the sales person, important as they have a few very similar looking models (V9, V9+, v9 lite etc) but with different specs such as 3G frequencies, cpu, android version, screen resolution etc...

I have seen the brand Ainol in Pantip but since those tablets are without gps or 3g I didn't really look at it.

ZTE: the model at Tesco was V9+. Runs v2.3. ZTE plans to put more equipment on the Thai market in Q3 of this year.

i will be traveling to Bangkok next month , so can anyone confirm that i can find the Ainol Tablet in Panthip ? and do Ainol have a booth or it is sold by various shops there ?

I bought an Ainol (with brand name HeroTab) there in June, 4k baht. No telephone or GPS ability, the wifi connection is pretty good, better than my laptop.

The is a counter on the same floor as the eating area, toward the southeast corner of the building. There was also a shop/booth near to to it that had a big HeroTab sign up a month ago but they've taken it down.

No way of knowing if this will still be the case when you get here, these things change fast. It's worth looking around.

And of course be sure it's working before you pay for it.

I have seen the brand Ainol in Pantip but since those tablets are without gps or 3g I didn't really look at it.

ZTE: the model at Tesco was V9+. Runs v2.3. ZTE plans to put more equipment on the Thai market in Q3 of this year.

Most cell phones in the market currently perform as wifi hotspot , so for me this eliminate the need of 3g in tablets , here it is worth to mention that a 3g dongle(usb) can be used on ainol novo7 elf2 if needed .

As for this tablet being without gps i agree with you that it is a drawback , however since i have an android smartphone with me this is not a big issue either since i have gps on the phone , and by using this application(below) i can transform the tablet to behave as a gps enabled device

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.comptonsoft.tgps_lite&hl=en

i will be traveling to Bangkok next month , so can anyone confirm that i can find the Ainol Tablet in Panthip ? and do Ainol have a booth or it is sold by various shops there ?

I bought an Ainol (with brand name HeroTab) there in June, 4k baht. No telephone or GPS ability, the wifi connection is pretty good, better than my laptop.

The is a counter on the same floor as the eating area, toward the southeast corner of the building. There was also a shop/booth near to to it that had a big HeroTab sign up a month ago but they've taken it down.

No way of knowing if this will still be the case when you get here, these things change fast. It's worth looking around.

And of course be sure it's working before you pay for it.

Thanks for the advice , was the ainol you bought: ainol novo7 elf ?

Most cell phones in the market currently perform as wifi hotspot , so for me this eliminate the need of 3g in tablets , here it is worth to mention that a 3g dongle(usb) can be used on ainol novo7 elf2 if needed .

As for this tablet being without gps i agree with you that it is a drawback , however since i have an android smartphone with me this is not a big issue either since i have gps on the phone , and by using this application(below) i can transform the tablet to behave as a gps enabled device

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.comptonsoft.tgps_lite&hl=en

Using a phone (or smartphone) as a wifi hotspot drains the battery very fast.

Only viable for short online stints, or when hooked up to the charger...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7" for 12,600

It's the best all-rounder on the market. And works as an IR remote.

I've looked at em all, unless you want to play games, nothing else comes close.

7 inch is too small for me, I like it for reading and if it gets too small I must wear my glasses or change page all the time.....

7 inch is too small for me, I like it for reading and if it gets too small I must wear my glasses or change page all the time.....

You also have 7.7", 8.9" and 10.1" ..... the 10.1" is about 16k

(the 7.7" is more expensive as it has a different and supposedly better screen)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

https://play.google....tgps_lite&hl=en

Using a phone (or smartphone) as a wifi hotspot drains the battery very fast.

Only viable for short online stints, or when hooked up to the charger...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

It is true , using wifi hotspot drains battery fast , however depending on what smartphone you own , it can still manage to give you at least 4 hours of wifi hotspot with 3g on. i will use the tablet mainly during travel ; to watch movies, play some games while on the plane , bus , train , , and surf the net for short period of times to find restaurants and attractions in the area i am traveling to , so i don't think i will need the internet for more than 1 to 2 hours max while going around , so i think i will be ok with wifi hotspot through smartphone . in addition most malls and department stores offer free wifi to their customers , as well as all decent hotels offer free wifi

The 10.1 is a bit weak on everything. I am looking at the TF700t. But of course it is more expensive and not available.

(So I admit it is not fair to compare).

The 10.1 is a bit weak on everything. I am looking at the TF700t. But of course it is more expensive and not available.

(So I admit it is not fair to compare).

The Asus TF300 3g is a contender @ 20k with the keyboard Vs Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 @ 17k

32G of ram Vs 16G, and the extra 5hours battery life from the keyboard.

Who would want an Anal Tablet?

Edited by TommoPhysicist