Four Flavours

MaxwellsDemon

How do you customize your bowl of noodle soup?

I usually add a couple dashes of fish sauce, half a chinese spoonful of sugar, and one small spoon (mini-ladle) of vinegared chilis. For the chili flakes, anywhere from half a chinese spoonful to one and a half, depending on the availability of tissues and if I have to kiss anyone later.

I like my lighter soups a little more sour, so I usually put an extra spoon of nam som prik, and darker soups I like sweeter, so I thrown in a full spoonful of sugar.

Whats your preference?

I just take it as it comes...kwiteo is OK with the traditional adornments and the mie ayam in Indonesia is good right from the hand cart...and the pho bo in Vietnam is good with the usual condiments; mint leaves and etc...never any fish sauce...

one could always have a peanut butter sandwich instead, I suppose...

I'm with the German Shepherd man - taste it first and if it needs something will add little at a time until I get it right.

By the way, in between Ladprao 35 and 35/1 there is a soup stall there that has the nicest soup I have ever tasted. there is a spice in there that I know, but can not put a finger on what it is. It is markedly different from any other I have tasted, I my usual lunch is soup noodles so I have tried a lot. If anyone has tried it, or pops past and does try it, what do you think that spice is? No point guessing unless you've tried it though.....