How Much Does It Cost To Drive From Chaing Mai To Bangkok?

tvaddict

one way

.... in a standard diesel pick up?

.....any good stopping points on the way to break up the journey?

..... are the roads ok or is there any specific danger point to be aware of?

thinking of doing this journey next week

other options being to fly or get the train

but fancy taking the car so we've got some transport whilst up there

cheers for your answers

one way

.... in a standard diesel pick up?

.....any good stopping points on the way to break up the journey?

..... are the roads ok or is there any specific danger point to be aware of?

thinking of doing this journey next week

other options being to fly or get the train

but fancy taking the car so we've got some transport whilst up there

cheers for your answers

What truck do you drive?

surely you know what mileage you get.

Most roads are ok the 1 after Nakhon Sawan is shit.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

To my recollection it's about 1500 baht fuel one way, however these will be roundly condemned by our fellow members, with some saying 2000, 800, and 1237.84 baht. Yes, we have members so inclined that they count the decimal points at the pumps.

As for dangers.............anyone who looks like a Thai, avoid.

• Like 1

Hi tvaddict. See my earlier post for more info: http://www.thaivisa....bkk-and-beyond/

Can't help you much with fuel costs as I drove down in my LPG fueled Camry and I did not pay much attention to exactly what it cost. Probably around 1,000 baht, so I would think double that for a diesel pickup.

I found all roads to be good. There was a nice looking restaurant/ resort on the left hand side with a large and easily accessible parking lot about 3 hours south of here. Nice, clean toilets. No clue as to name or exact location. Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Even though I needed the car because of carrying a lot of stuff and a lot of off the beaten path travel and it was a considerable savings for the two of us, I would probably never do it again. Even with two sharing the driving and a comfortable car it was a bit too much. I wanted to try it once, but will most likely go back to flying when I need to travel. Or even 1st class bus if no air service where I am going, if further than 5 hours away.

You already have a car but for other they might be intrestrested in the promotion I saw by "thai rent a car" at CNX airport also found on their website

200 baht + vat + fuel costs for a one way 2 day max rental from cnx to bkk

anyone know why they offer this promotion? do they really have that many one ways coming from bkk and if so why? i guess they found it easier to use their customers to transport the cars back then to pay transport costs out of pocket

To my recollection it's about 1500 baht fuel one way, however these will be roundly condemned by our fellow members, with some saying 2000, 800, and 1237.84 baht. Yes, we have members so inclined that they count the decimal points at the pumps.

As for dangers.............anyone who looks like a Thai, avoid.

Didn't realize you were pregadigatel. Or some thing like that.tongue.png But you were rite about the number of different opinions. Were you in a standard diesel Pick Up what ever that is.thumbsup.gif

I would personally factor in other costs besides fuel; it's a 700km drive, so that counts towards your regular maintenance, oil change, tyre wear and so on, so you can add a bit for that. And there is some risk built in of getting into an accident or getting some damage along the way, like something causing a small crack in your windscreen, etc.

Fuel wise, most diesel trucks can easily do 12.5 km/liter so you're looking at 700 / 12.5 * 30.5 baht = 1708 Baht for fuel only. Yes, some get better mileage especially if you're willing to drive slow.. Or mileage could easily be worse too with some trucks, especially when keeping your right foot down.

Either way, driving by yourself costs more than flying. Fill the car with 2 more people and it becomes a better deal. On the other hand of course, you save money and gain convenience by having a car at the other end, and not having to rely on taxis.

My favorite place to stop: Kamphaeng Phet. It's exactly half way, on the main road, and there is actually a remarkable amount of historical stuff to see there. Or if it's a leisure trip and you can spend more time, then Sukhothai and Sri Satchanalai have even more, of course, but then you're a bit off the main route.

Roads are all good, except if there's some construction going on. Nothing to worry about, though.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

WHAT! You're using a single number for fuel cost, even though the price of fuel gets less as you get closer to Bangkok? You need to factor in that fuel gradually drops in price by about one baht as you get to Bangkok. ;)

• Like 1

It's fun and of course a good way to see some country.

Watch the grooved tracks on the highway north of Bangkok, south of Singburi. The 'ruts' were no worries on a motorbike, but a bit of a surprise changing lanes with the pick up. My 3 L Nissan used about 4000 baht for the return trip including some driving around Bangkok. Hope you have more than just your compulsory insurance though!!!

Going to Bangkok a good stop is Nakhorn Sawan as it has a bit to see and side trips and it is an easy drive from there to Bangkok it also an excellent hotel for round 900 baht...the Bonito Chinos. Tak has a nice hotel with a view over the river which can be very nice in the morning. My fuel costs are high. more like 2500 each way.

Edited by harrry

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

imho the cost of driving to Bangkok can be equal to the costs of the deaths of every person in your car. Overnight VIP bus, on a weekday, 'mo better, me thinks. I assume the price is higher now than the 900 baht I paid a few years ago.

Also consider: last year a friend of mine from CM drove to Bangkok: he was stopped four times by highway-police in or around Bangkok, who evidently look for farangs with out-of-area plates. 500 baht "tea money" per stop.

best, ~o:37;

I done it many times (about 20 ) in my Toyota ,Hiace diesel 3 litre.Around B2,000 to Pattaya from CM so Bkk around B1,500.Roads mostly good all the way .Nackon Sawan is a good place to overnight at half way and has cheap hotels .

Also consider: last year a friend of mine from CM drove to Bangkok: he was stopped four times by highway-police in or around Bangkok, who evidently look for farangs with out-of-area plates. 500 baht "tea money" per stop.

best, ~o:37;

And why would anyone pay 'tea money' if all their papers are in order. Does not make sense to me and I have driven many times out of my car plates area. Sure I get stopped, but show my papers maybe a car search and then I am on my way with a cheerly wave and a smile.

• Like 1

Diesel....2000 baht give or take... depending how you drive.

Not quite sure if the roadworks have finished but the road between Lampang and Tak used to be contra-flow.

Also the road between Tak and Nakhon Sawan is ususally in a poor state of repair so stay sharp. Also many hiden policemen

As mentioned Kamphaeng Phet is a good stopping off place. I ususally fuel at PTT stations for the benefit of the 7-11 and western style toilet facility.

Unless you really want to go into the town of Nakhon Sawan use the by-pass.

I normally leave at 0600 and arrive at 1600 or so. I don;t poodle a long but I don;'t hammer it either.

Most folk take the highway 11 and the Highway 1 all the way down.

Approximately 50KM north of Nakon Sawan you will see a remarkable geological feathue called 'Ghost Mountain'

Enjoy

Be safe

May, this year, CNX to BKK, gas oil, about 1800B, started at 10:00 and arrived at 18:00.

Most of the road is good, except road between Tak and Nakon Sawan.

Met policemen in checkpoints between cities, but nobody asked me to stop.

Whether choose by car, not only for fuel, other things should also be considered, using of tire, maintenance, especially safety!

Take Care, and be safe!

smile.png

Edited by Caibiao

If you keep at 110 or less you should not have much trouble with the bib. It is mainly over that they start pulling people up. It is not the cop you see...one up the road has phoned your number through.

My Toyota close 2ooo bahts

Agree about K Phet

JJJ g uest hous fine 500 night

3/4 star Phet Hotel about double great night

and Kiiti Pochana of Najing one of the betst Chinese nanjing fan in the world.I moved there from Nanjing Uni so have some grouunding

Hysterical park place to park mia noi while at banana club les's or the balcony of love etc.

Also very cheap golf with ball finders

Edited by RubbaJohnny

If you keep at 110 or less you should not have much trouble with the bib. It is mainly over that they start pulling people up. It is not the cop you see...one up the road has phoned your number through.

Yeah, I used to drive at safe speed. Safety is the most important thing.

One month ago, I drived to Phuket and back to Chiangmai, met some policemen in the checkpoints between cities, many times, without being asked to stop for one time! thumbsup.gif

• 3 months later...

Probably B1,500 to 2,000 for the petrol. Agree that N. Sawan is a lovely place to stop; it's a fairly large city, but with lots of sights and restaurants. Many inexpensive restaurants too. I think it is well worth doing this a couple of times just to see the variety of the Thai countryside and to get to know different areas. Yes, flying is faster but it is also boring and more expensive (if you take a few people with you in your own transport). The roads are good but the drivers are not!