Driving To Bkk And Beyond

Hi all, I will be Driving to BKK tomorrow morning, I will be there for a few weeks and will also make a trip out to Chantaburi and also to Koh Chang and maybe go further south and try to get out to some of the beautiful islands down there as well since I am down that way anyway and will have my car for easily getting to ferry boats. A real trip around Thailand that I have always wanted to do but never did, because when going down before it was always short trips and flying was easier. On the way down I won't have time for stopping and will simply be trying to make good time on the highway.

Has anyone driven down lately? How are the highways? What is the posted speed limit and what can you safely get away with (in the states the police will not bother you if you are within 20 km of the 120 km limit) I fortunately have a map that shows locations of LPG stations along the way, which will be handy. Google maps estimates the trip at 11 plus hours for the 700 km trip which seems to be a considerable overestimation if the highway is good. I should think that I could easily be cruising at an average of 110 or more in my Camry. Even with 2 or 3 gas/pee breaks along the way it shouldn't take much over 7 hours I should think. We will be bringing plenty of food and beverages in the car so that a lunch stop won't be necessary. I hope to get out of town by 8:30 AM and arrive BKK before 4 PM. Is this not realistic? Is the highway not so good once out of the Chiang Mai area?

I bought this Camry used a few weeks ago and have had two of my local mechanic shops go over it pretty thoroughly and replace anything that they thought might be needed as well as anything obvious.. Can anyone recommend a good garage where they speak good English and where I might go today to have them think of anything else that might need replacing on a older Camry and then just do it today. I went to Toyota yesterday to try the same thing but it was a wasted trip. I am trying here to apply several ounces of prevention rather than wait till something unseen wears out while out in the middle of nowhere.

I will later do another post to see what suggestions everyone has for places to visit while out and about and on the return trip, but will keep this topic to the essential pre-departure issues.

Thanks all for any help with this.

Ive drove down and back twice in the past 3 weeks, the roads are ok on the way there but watch the section between Nakorn Sawan and Tak on the way back as there are alot of potholes. I have done it in 7-8hrs on all four legs at a steady speed with just a few stops for refuelling and toilets. I always set off around 5am and this gets me to BKK way before the 2pm-8pm rush starts. I set off after 10am on the way back to miss the morning rush and I got home about 5:15pm but I live 25km past Chiang Mai City.

Edited by thaimiller

LPG along the way is not an issue, they are everywhere.

I use the PTT stations for rest areas, clean toilets, and always quick eats along the way

I drive monthly down. Roads all good (except the pot hole area that they have been working on) Depending on where your going 7 -9 hours should do it. I try to stay out of BKK and it's traffic by using the toll ways #9 around the city center. Have fun

Is that Camry teal in color?

There's is too many of those LPG station on the 11, quite the disappointment when your needing a gas/pee/watering stop and pull into a LPG only station.

Look at Slash's site if you want to select side roads for your route, Capt Slash has covered more roads in Thailand than most, and your hard pressed not to find a report covering a route you may want to try.

drunk.gif

Perhaps better off in the motoring forum rather than in a regionally specific forum that doesn't cover the regions you are asking about, I suspect you will get more info there

//MOVED//

If you still looking for an English speaking mechanic to check your car,give this man a call 053-225468...his shop is on 107 just North of the super highway,about 200m,look for Dickham's banner,on the left...

Thanks Thaimiller and all others for your helpful information. I have rearranged things so that I can hopefully get off by 7 AM latest.

So, what is the maximum speed that the law officials will find acceptable?

LPG along the way is not an issue, they are everywhere.

I use the PTT stations for rest areas, clean toilets, and always quick eats along the way

I drive monthly down. Roads all good (except the pot hole area that they have been working on) Depending on where your going 7 -9 hours should do it. I try to stay out of BKK and it's traffic by using the toll ways #9 around the city center. Have fun

Perhaps better off in the motoring forum rather than in a regionally specific forum that doesn't cover the regions you are asking about, I suspect you will get more info there

//MOVED//

I very much doubt it. biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Thanks Thaimiller and all others for your helpful information. I have rearranged things so that I can hopefully get off by 7 AM latest.

That's a tricky question....they can pull you over for anything ...and nothing whatsoever....official speed limit is 90km/hr,so anything over is in question,but there are just a few speed traps on the way to BKK,so you may just get lucky...I was pulled over for driving on the fast lane(common thing)...a couple of 100 baht bills comes in handy...

Hi funcat, Why were you pulled over for driving in the fast lane? Is it restricted to cars with special passes or to cars with 2 or more people? Or do you mean by this expression that you may have been a tad over the speed limit?

I was pulled over for driving on the fast lane(common thing)...a couple of 100 baht bills comes in handy...

Hi funcat, Why were you pulled over for driving in the fast lane? Is it restricted to cars with special passes or to cars with 2 or more people? Or do you mean by this expression that you may have been a tad over the speed limit?

The rightmost lane is supposedly for passing only, stay in it too long and the Brown Meanies will get you. It's also an oft used excuse to pull you over for a little tea money (no they don't buy you tea).

That's a tricky question....they can pull you over for anything ...and nothing whatsoever....official speed limit is 90km/hr,so anything over is in question,but there are just a few speed traps on the way to BKK,so you may just get lucky...I was pulled over for driving on the fast lane(common thing)...a couple of 100 baht bills comes in handy...

I to was pulled over for speeding, south of Ang Thong, driving in the lane. Officer said he was going to ticket me for speeding (on a D-Tracker !?!), telling me the speed limit is 90 kph. 400 b and I was on my way - with a simile from the officer. On all my trips to BKK noticed plenty of BIB working the highways surrounding Bangkok.

I was pulled over for driving on the fast lane(common thing)...a couple of 100 baht bills comes in handy...

Crossy pretty much answered this question...I can only add that most people drive on the fast (right) lane,because the left one is sometimes chewed up by the big tracks and have lots of damage(mostly between CM and Nakorn Sawan)...this is easy money for a BIB.

I normally don't drive fast,because I usually have my family with me and safety is a priority....

The rightmost lane is supposedly for passing only, stay in it too long and the Brown Meanies will get you. It's also an oft used excuse to pull you over for a little tea money (no they don't buy you tea).

The law in Thailand says drive in the left lane except when passing. Often misinterpreted especially for motorcyles. But yes sitting in the outside lane if the other lanes are clear....

In Europe it's called lane discipline.

As for the BKK trip I would not worry about the trip down it is when you get here that the fun starts!

Edited by VocalNeal