Buying Land In Isaan

Shrek

I am married to an isaan girl and we live in england.

Her family are in isaan and although we (both) have no immediate burning desire to return to thailand its a retirement option in maybe 10-12 years, so buying now would be an idea

What are the basic rules/steps - if I was in england i would just get a solicitor !

how do you prove boundaries, ownership

can i own or must my wife buy

if my wife buys how do i protect my self or is it just on trust

how do you register your onership

how do you know its not mortgaged to the hilt (as has happened to me once on a recent visit...asking price 50,000 at last minute owner told wife owed bank 100,000 on it)

How do i stop thai people colonising it while i am in england !

what other pitfalls are there ?

Her family are in isaan and although we (both) have no immediate burning desire to return to thailand its a retirement option in maybe 10-12 years, so buying now would be an idea

What are the basic rules/steps - if I was in england i would just get a solicitor !

how do you prove boundaries, ownership-----chanote [ land title and area]

can i own or must my wife buy-----------------wifey's or at least 51% [49% counts for nothing in los]if my wife buys how do i protect my self or is it just on trust---------trust [thats what marriage is about ]how do you register your onership-------umpher

how do you know its not mortgaged to the hilt (as has happened to me once on a recent visit...asking price 50,000 at last minute owner told wife owed bank 100,000 on it)----- a complete search [if money is owed the bank usually has the title deeds [chanote ]

How do i stop thai people colonising it while i am in england !--------you don't

what other pitfalls are there ?----------loads

best leave the buying of land with the misses and family, and get land prices to compare similar to what you are buying

best of luck

opothai

I also live in the UK, but frequent Thailand as often as i can, My wife and i have bought land and property over the years, we now have about 100 Rai in different parts of Buriram, if you trust your wife, why not buy, land only go's up in value, where ever it is, but not big bucks like the Uk, also buy some rice land and get the family to work it, you can get a percentage every year, Thai's work on 70%, 30% land owner, i have 40% as i do help them out with fertilizer etc, also the land will never be in your name, it will be in your wifes, to measure the land, look at the deeds and there will be numbers in corners of the plot, those numbers should corraspond with the concrete marker posts, the land registry office will measure the plot if asked, before paying anyone get your wife to study the deeds first, as there are so many titles, another thing is do you and your wife have children, if yes, in the long run they will benifit, thats the way i look at it.

Good Luck......................................... some guys will tell you you may need it, but touch wood so far i have been one of the "lucky ones", and a lot of guys who know me say the same, all the best..

Edited by Thaicoon

Hi Shrek and ms Shrek,

There is probably another small problem ( at least me an the misses had, she's living with me in Amsterdam) is. If your wife is living with you in England, you/she can't buy land at all, cause right now she isn't living in LOS. So what we did, we bought our land put it in Mom's name, and 1 year later she changed it in to my wifes name, parents are free to give there childeren property.

So find this out first.

The most answers are you already given above. And .............GOOD LUCK aswell.

how do you know its not mortgaged to the hilt (as has happened to me once on a recent visit...asking price 50,000 at last minute owner told wife owed bank 100,000 on it)

she buys and you get two thirty year leases. also, you can own any house you build even if she owns the land.

Hi Shrek and ms Shrek,

There is probably another small problem ( at least me an the misses had, she's living with me in Amsterdam) is. If your wife is living with you in England, you/she can't buy land at all, cause right now she isn't living in LOS. So what we did, we bought our land put it in Mom's name, and 1 year later she changed it in to my wifes name, parents are free to give there childeren property.

So find this out first.

The most answers are you already given above. And .............GOOD LUCK aswell.

my wife buys land in Buriram and sends the cash over by bank transfer to her sister, then when my wife visits thailand, she puts in her own name.

also the money must come from my wife not i, but hey guys, does that happen............

she buys and you get two thirty year leases. also, you can own any house you build even if she owns the land.

A 30 year lease and an "option agreement". A monumental difference :o

Hi Shrek and ms Shrek,

So find this out first.

my wife buys land in Buriram and sends the cash over by bank transfer to her sister, then when my wife visits thailand, she puts in her own name.

also the money must come from my wife not i, but hey guys, does that happen............

Even the Land Office now accepts "no it doesn't happen". You are freely allowed to give the money as a gift if you say you'll never want it back. But that sounds the same as every penny I "loan" my missus :D

It doesnt sound but it is, it is.

Only buy if you stay in thailand (holiday or more), learn just for fun to write and read the name of

your wife in order to check the contract.

If you dont know the relations between your wife and her parents be carefull.

I dont wanna be a bad guy but i saw too much ........... and even between brothers and sisters,

mommys and daddys.

Babies are great, (i have 3 of them) so if i go down my babies will have it :o

(Even them could be bad, but psychologically whom of you would really hurt or let your daddy and

mommy rotting).

The other thing is i tell everybody whom wants to know and whom I like " You have to take your land, go and pipi and sh... in every corner so that they can smell its yours (its a imaginationframe na), if not you could get problems.

Friend of mine didnt listened and like to stay samui and here in Isaan from time to time.

More and more him become the guest and the rest of the family the owners.

Thats why i dont like workers stay with me on my land. After a while .....

This is the way how it works. Even some guys maybe lucky :D

Life is an endless adventure !