Do You Smell? Here Is The Cure...

Pseudolus

Got a phone call the other day from a mate I had not seen for a while. HE was calling me to tell me that the cure I told him about had fixed his problem. He didn't have a BO problem when I had met him last; it was an all encompassing smell like he was grubby, although he is quite vain so no way he was not properly washed a few times a day. He had been frustrated by it for a while, so I told him it was most likely the tropical environment meaning fungi or bacteria were growing on him, feeding from his sweat, and a shower would not kill them. The solution? Once a month stand in the shower, get a bottle of lime juice (as high % you can find in the super market), rub it all over (great way to find little cuts as well), wait a few minutes and then shower as usual. My theory was that it would raise the pH of the skin and thus kill anything growing on the skin. It worked and he is chuffed to bits.

So, on the basis that there is a good chance that 50% of the farang living here smell as well if the ratio on the BTS / MRT is counted as valuable proving ground, thought I would share it. He does it once a month / fortnight if its very hot, and is a very happy chappy

Enjoy :)

Mods - don't move to health if you'd be so kind so that as many people afflicted by this problem can see this and tell their smelly mates to give it a try.

i have read, that bacteria (from sweating) build up in the clothes, when they are only washed cold...

Totally untrue. Lived in the tropics of Australia for over 30 years and always washed clothes with cold water. Since living in Thailand wife only uses cold water. No smell

bacteria (and germs) DO build up in clothes, when washed with cold water.. cant find the source anymore, but i read that this is the main culprit when they smell quickly sweaty afterwards...

things like "vanish" need water on 40 degrees, to become effective...

but i just read :) , that putting the clothes in the freezer kills germs and bacteria as well...

bacteria (and germs) DO build up in clothes, when washed with cold water.. cant find the source anymore, but i read that this is the main culprit when they smell quickly sweaty afterwards...

but i just read smile.png , that putting the clothes in the freezer kills germs and bacteria as well...

A mate of mine also recently told me about the freezer trick too,

he bought an expensive pair of jeans and to prevent them from deteriorating in a washing machine,

he folds them away in the freezer and never washes them, and they stay looking brand new.

I reckon slicing a lime in two and using as soap would work ? With 2-3b a pop, not expensive. Then again, protex powder's got some antibacterial stuff in it too and I prefer the smell over lime, which easily reminds you of a lavatory.

but i just read smile.png , that putting the clothes in the freezer kills germs and bacteria as well...

It's a myth - it put the living creatures into stasis / hibernation and as soon as they warm up they begin multiplying again I think. Would work as long as you keep them in the freezer all the time you are not wearing them though perhaps. I might give it a try with a pair of pants and see what happens. Nylon pants.

I reckon slicing a lime in two and using as soap would work ? With 2-3b a pop, not expensive. Then again, protex powder's got some antibacterial stuff in it too and I prefer the smell over lime, which easily reminds you of a lavatory.

Indeed - I always use Dettol shower gel for this reason. However, the real pungent sickly almost vinegary smell is fungus, and antibac will not touch this so not the solution really. Fresh lime is idea, will whiten your skin, but hurt like the clappers of hell if it ends up on a cut :)

some vinegar in the wash is all it takes.

It will; the residual vinegar smell though I think is just as bad as fungi anyway. Lime juice has a higher pH and smell a lot nicer. Will bleach your clothes though if using neat lime juice and it's left on long enough :(

It will; the residual vinegar smell though I think is just as bad as fungi anyway. Lime juice has a higher pH and smell a lot nicer. Will bleach your clothes though if using neat lime juice and it's left on long enough sad.png

there is no residual vinegar smell. Try it and you will see.

on a side note, vinegar is amazing stuff. My wife makes it at out house here. She grows the mother vinegar herself and we have TONS of containers of vinegar. She uses it for everything to do with cleaning.

I used to always complain about how my freshly washed clothes would start smelling very funky just moments after I started wearing them and ever since she started using vinegar in the wash now they are very fresh all the time.

good info here http://www.lifescrip...CFSCTWAod81M57A

http://www.diylife.c...ust-for-salads/

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7651918_vinegar-washing-machines.html

http://www.diylife.com/2007/08/02/vinegar-laundrys-best-friend/

Edited by Jayman

It will; the residual vinegar smell though I think is just as bad as fungi anyway. Lime juice has a higher pH and smell a lot nicer. Will bleach your clothes though if using neat lime juice and it's left on long enough sad.png

on a side note, vinegar is amazing stuff. My wife makes it at out house here. She grows the mother vinegar herself and we have TONS of containers of vinegar. She uses it for everything to do with cleaning.

I used to always complain about how my freshly washed clothes would start smelling very funky just moments after I started wearing them and ever since she started using vinegar in the wash now they are very fresh all the time.

http://www.ehow.com/...g-machines.html

http://www.diylife.c...ys-best-friend/

Sounds interesting indeed - how does the still the vinegar then? Can you make whiskey with the same device?

http://www.ehow.com/...g-machines.html

http://www.diylife.c...ys-best-friend/

Sounds interesting indeed - how does the still the vinegar then? Can you make whiskey with the same device?

honestly, she learned it from some older thai lady on TV at night. Then she just started making it. I had no idea what it was at first she was making. Fermented fruit and water with brown sugar starts the process and the good bacteria start to multiply. No still is needed. And yes, this is like making jail toilet wine...

google how to make vinegar and you will find many different methods

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_make_acetic_acid

Edited by Jayman

Have any of you tried "soap" i hear it works really wellsmile.png

not for killing mold in your laundry.

soap works by raising the pH and vinegar (and lime) work by lowering it. Both have the effect of killing some bacteria and molds. Soap also works by lowering the service tension of the water to allow it to penetrate stuff and remove the grime.

Edited by Jayman

Soap is the worst possible thing you can wash with for so many reasons because soap these days is not as good as the old fashioned soaps especailly the pH balance soaps that are popular. . Mostly though all it does in tropical climates is become a food group for bacteria and fungus. However, I assume you are being a smarty pants tongue.png

Edited by Pseudolus

My theory was that it would raise the pH of the skin and thus kill anything growing on the skin. It worked and he is chuffed to bits.

Sorry to be pedantic, but if you put anything acidic on, you will be lowering the PH, not raising it

It will; the residual vinegar smell though I think is just as bad as fungi anyway. Lime juice has a higher pH and smell a lot nicer. Will bleach your clothes though if using neat lime juice and it's left on long enough

I have no idea which is more acidic, vinegar or lime juice. You state that Lime juice has a higher PH than vinegar, that means that lime juice is less acidic than vinegar. Is that really what you meant to say?

To save any confusion, I would suggest that those that do not understand the PH scale stick to saying that it is more or less acidic. That way, there is no confusion.

i understand you first have to wash your laundry with "soap" (detergent) and then rinse with vinegar...

depends a bit on the washing machine you use... the ones here on the compound are pretty silly...

i tried to fill in boiling water, but couldnt run that fast to bring it... they are draining the water approx all 5 minutes, and refill then with new cold water... and so is your soap gone - and any hot water filled in...

didnt really understand that technique, in addition they damage the fabric as none other ever...

they wash only cold, the washing result is really BAD, and the fabric gets damaged...

an amazing piece of engineering...

so, not sure, when you will fill in the vinegar into the machine... (lol)

dont think, that a 5min-rinse will do...?

Edited by dingdang

Soap is the worst possible thing you can wash with for so many reasons because soap these days is not as good as the old fashioned soaps especailly the pH balance soaps that are popular. . Mostly though all it does in tropical climates is become a food group for bacteria and fungus. However, I assume you are being a smarty pants tongue.png

More like a sweaty pants laugh.png

• Like 1

My theory was that it would raise the pH of the skin and thus kill anything growing on the skin. It worked and he is chuffed to bits.

Sorry to be pedantic, but if you put anything acidic on, you will be lowering the PH, not raising it

It will; the residual vinegar smell though I think is just as bad as fungi anyway. Lime juice has a higher pH and smell a lot nicer. Will bleach your clothes though if using neat lime juice and it's left on long enough

I have no idea which is more acidic, vinegar or lime juice. You state that Lime juice has a higher PH than vinegar, that means that lime juice is less acidic than vinegar. Is that really what you meant to say?

To save any confusion, I would suggest that those that do not understand the PH scale stick to saying that it is more or less acidic. That way, there is no confusion.

Correct - no, I mean lower. I am not a chemist lol. but you catch my drift. Lime juice is 1-2 pH, home brew vinegar can be anything I guess from 2-4.

I posted several links on using vinegar in your washing. It is to be added to the pre wash or post wash cycle. It has enormous benefits and is very safe on the material. It makes your towels softer and kills the mold that is hard to get rid of with cold water washing here in Thailand.

I don't know about showering with it but my wife uses her home made stuff to spay on herself after she gets out of the shower and the vinegar smell is gone within minutes. We just went to koh samui last weekend and I forgot to take my deodorant but she had her homemade vinegar and even though the smell was very strong when you spay it on it's gone very fast and I have to admit it kept me smelling fresh. You can use a bowl of vinegar in a room to remove the smell of smoke. Vinegar in the wash is also great for removing smoke smell from clothes. You can soak a piece of bread or a towel in vinegar and throw it in the car under the seat to keep you car smelling fresh.

do some research and you will be amazed at all that vinegar is good for.

and for pH.. that is a function (p) of Hydrogen (H). The lower the number the more concentration of hydrogen and the more acidic it is. The higher the number the less acidic and 7 is neutral. Over 7 you are looking at alkaline(basic)

In chemistry you will notice most acids have H2 or some just H at the beginning where as basics have OH (hydroxide) at the end.

Edited by Jayman