Heavy Rain Warning For Phuket, Andaman

webfact

Heavy rain warning for Phuket, Andaman

Phuket Gazette

rain.jpeg

The most recent radar image of the region, taken just after dawn today. Phuket lies in the circle. Source: TMD

PHUKET: -- A strengthening of monsoonal conditions over the Andaman Sea has prompted the Thai Meteorological Department to issue a weather warning for all six Andaman coast provinces: Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun.

The warning, issued at 6am today, reads:

"A rather strong southwest monsoon prevails over the Southern Thailand west coast and the Andaman Sea. Abundant rain, and heavy to very heavy rain in some areas, expected over much of the windward side, with wind gusts. Flash flooding may occur in some areas. People should be cautious."

The wind-driven waves will become stronger, reaching two to three meters mainly in the Andaman Sea, especially in rain areas. All ships should proceed with caution.

A total of 89.4mm of rainfall was recorded at the TMD monitoring station in Phuket Town yesterday, with 74.1mm at Phuket Airport.

Ranong has the heaviest year-to-date rainfall in the 125-station TMD monitoring network, with 2,477mm recorded through yesterday.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16335.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-04

One day, maybe the Gazette might issue a bad weather warning BEFORE it arrives. But probably not.

That would be to much like a community service....once was a pleasant country read but as Phuket has grown it has still remained the same....do u ever read about local events being held where the average Thai goes....not the HiSo events....sorry all off topic

"Ranong has the heaviest year-to-date rainfall in the 125-station TMD monitoring network, with 2,477mm recorded through yesterday."

2477 mm is 2.477 meter!!! And that is only for yesterday....

Of course I am not saying they are wrong (they are Thai and I am just an ignorant farang), but somehow I doubt 2.5 m rain. Actually I just do not believe it wai.gif

Amazing Thailand indeed coffee1.gif

"Ranong has the heaviest year-to-date rainfall in the 125-station TMD monitoring network, with 2,477mm recorded through yesterday."

Of course I am not saying they are wrong (they are Thai and I am just an ignorant farang), but somehow I doubt 2.5 m rain. Actually I just do not believe it wai.gif

I think they are wrong too. I think year to date means the start of the year, whatever that is to a Thai, until now. 2.47 seems a good number.

I do however remember about 30 years ago in Cairns Nth. Queensland we had 51/2 feet of rain, that's 1.7 meters in 72 hrs.!! That's over 27 mm per hour average. At times it was 75 mm per hour! Yes there was major flooding but not at our place. No power for a week. We lived beachfront, but couldn't get to town, no problem, kick the gen set into life and dinghy instead of car.

That's not the TMD's fault but plain bad reporting from PG. Not unheard of. Even if the TMD would have said that, the reporter should have actually process the information before writing it to the news.

Wikipedia:

Ranong is located on the Kra Isthmus, a narrow strip of land that connects Thailand with the Malay Peninsula, on the west of the Phuket mountain range. It has a long coast on the Andaman Sea. The province is known for having the highest rainfall in Thailand, the rainy season there lasting for about eight months. Its annual rainfall in 1955 totaled 6,699.5 mm, compared to about 1,200 in central Thailand.

7 meters in year. Rain season is starting and the 2.5 meters seems ok from the start of the year.