Thinking Of Buying A Civic

Hi guys,

The wifey wants to get a small/medium car to drive around in and so do I :)

Having a look at small to medium sized cars, I am thinking maybe a Honda civic.

Anyone got a new Civic? Any advise? Anything?

I was liking the Ford focus, but I think it looks like shyt..

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered a Honda City will be delivered by the beginning of September so my daughter as a first time buyer will qualify for a rebate, turned out a very good deal. :)

We were told Civic's do not qualify for a rebate.

I quiet like the new Civic. Like a bigger City. I bought my wife a City and it cost 650,000. Not sure if this price bracket fits the tax exemption.

Sister in law has a Focus which I've driven a few times.

Definitely stronger, better quality, handles rough roads well and has good dynamics. The blnker on the other side drives me insane. Suppose you'd get used to that pretty easy.

Civic, Focus a toss up I'd say. Personal taste should prevail.

The new Focus (August launch) wipes the floor with the Civic in terms of performance, driving dynamics, specification, technology and looks (subjective of course). The only thing the Civic wins on is residual value. If you like the Civic check out the Corolla Altis as well as its on a par with it.

Yeah, the only thing with the focus, inside it looks like the Ford Ranger which I have already. I want something a little different.

And I think the New focus looks weird.

I will go around and have another look at both.

At the moment, I am thinking the Fiesta, Civic, Focus.. Leaning towards the Civic, but I have not test driven any just yet

I have the top end 2010 Civic 2.0 and very happy with it. Perhaps the only complaint is that the 2.0 comes with 17" low profile, high performance tires making for a moderately bumpy ride on rough roads, at least compared to my previous car, but the road handling is excellent.

Anyone know the waiting time for Civic? Starting price is less then 800k, focus is close to 1 mil.

Civic has more models and more options...prices 773000-1124000....Focus(959-1,079) is OK with only 4 models,but I would wait for the diesel...

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw a new Civic in Chiang Mai, red plates and all. At first I thought it was a City as the rear end change was significant and closer to the City then the previous Civic.

post-566-0-79549700-1341827776_thumb.jpg

Thought the old Civic, whilst long in the tooth now and in need of replacement, did have some interesting design features about it. Certainly nothing like as boring as the Atlis.

This new Civic however seems to have ventured down an extremely conservative path. Looks completely anonymous on the road. On top of that, this model has been plagued with build issues when introduced in other countries, to the point that the launch date for Thailand was repeatedly delayed - in addition to the delays caused by the floods of course.

Focus seems like a much more desirable option, although it's a shame they can't be a bit more competitive on price. Of all the manufacturers, Ford needs to get its pricing right. People here are all too happy to buy Honda or Toyota, unless there is a very compelling reason not to. Ford has almost managed it with Fiesta, which does undercut the opposition on price and spec, and sells quite well. They need to do the same with the Focus.

I think the Focus is competitive on price the 4 door prices are 1.6 759,000-929,000 and 2.0 959,000 - 1,069,000. The 5 door prices are; 1.6 809,000 - 839,000 and 2.0 969,000 - 1,079,000. The specification is much higher than any of the other manufacturers. For example the top model has Xenons, sunroof, climate, auto lights, auto wipers, auto park, city stop, cruise, bluetooth, 6 airbags etc. I bought the top model 5 door for my wife and it should arrive next week. They might have made a mistake by not offering a 1.8 but I don't know how much bhp the 1.6 develops.

I think the Focus is competitive on price the 4 door prices are 1.6 759,000-929,000 and 2.0 959,000 - 1,069,000. The 5 door prices are; 1.6 809,000 - 839,000 and 2.0 969,000 - 1,079,000. The specification is much higher than any of the other manufacturers. For example the top model has Xenons, sunroof, climate, auto lights, auto wipers, auto park, city stop, cruise, bluetooth, 6 airbags etc. I bought the top model 5 door for my wife and it should arrive next week. They might have made a mistake by not offering a 1.8 but I don't know how much bhp the 1.6 develops.

Thanks for that info. Must admit those starting figures are lower than i thought they were. I still think though, even considering the high spec, Ford needs to be more aggressive with its pricing in order to make an impact on the market. Might mean making a loss, but it is in my opinion what it would take to make it an established brand here and remove that fear of high parts costs and high depreciation. It has worked to a degree with the Fiesta. Now they need to take the same approach with the new Focus.

Congrats on your new car. I take it its the current Focus sold in Thailand you are getting and not the one soon to arrive? If so i'm surprised that anyone would buy an outgoing model when the new one is so close, but i guess you got a good deal? The 999,999 they were offering the diesel for, certainly was attractive.

My wife's new car is the new 2.0 Focus with 170 bhp. I ordered at the Bangkok motor show. I expect it to arrive next week. I could have had grey this week but we want black.

Do you know the weight of the new focus?

My wife's new car is the new 2.0 Focus with 170 bhp. I ordered at the Bangkok motor show. I expect it to arrive next week. I could have had grey this week but we want black.

Do you know the weight of the new focus?

By memory, from an article read on a French site, around 1.300 kgs.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'm looking around too.

Went to Honda Pattaya last Saturday.

The stock of cars (mainly City's, Civics and Brio's) is huge but obviously, they're all sold.

Delivery times for a Civic is estimated to 2-3 months.

The only car that was available was a Freed.

The thing that amazed me in the new Civic was the dash-board...........jeezzzz..........what was that with "Paradise by the Dashboard-light"? It was as if the dashboard was designed by the Nintendo R&D-department.

I see. Didn't think the new Focus was quite so close to hitting the streets. Anyway, a great car. Congrats. Happy motoring to your wife!

I will Vote for the Honda Civic since the factory is in Thailand.

You will not regret for the new Civic. This article says all of it:

http://www.carsut.co...s-the-sunlight/

A second hand one will do too, 100,000 km on the odometer does no harm:

http://www.carsut.co...m-does-no-harm/

However, the Ford Focus is not bad too:

http://www.carsut.com/topics/ford/

My advice:

If u want a long lasting car - I will vote for the Civic

If u want a car with more features to play around - that will be a Focus

If u want a small car that is easy to drive around town (I assume for your wife) - go for Fiesta

Edited by loveinbangkok

All of the other cars in discussion here are built in the region, so don't really understand that comment.

That articled seemed a bit too one-sided for my liking.

Beneath a picture of the rear end of the Civic - which has to be one of the most uninspiring and bland design efforts in its class - they say "everyone was vowed after seeing this car at the motor show". Assume they mean "wowed". Really? Can't imagine how anyone besides a member of the Honda marketing team could possibly be "wowed" by this.

• Like 1

The ''Vowed'' was aimed at the German folk with dosh. laugh.png

Or they vowed not to buy it after seeing the rear...it's pretty ugly and has an unclean unfinished look about. I'll stick with my 7th gen I think:)

I thought the same about this, but.........................smile.png

post-41816-0-55636100-1343289976_thumb.j

All of the other cars in discussion here are built in the region, so don't really understand that comment.

Beneath a picture of the rear end of the Civic - which has to be one of the most uninspiring and bland design efforts in its class - they say "everyone was vowed after seeing this car at the motor show". Assume they mean "wowed". Really? Can't imagine how anyone besides a member of the Honda marketing team could possibly be "wowed" by this.

Have to copy the rear-part.

It looks like the rear of an Accord from 2003-2004 or maybe older.

But hey, I don't have to look at it! whistling.gif

Ordered my Civic yesterday, will be delivered in 2 weeks.

Have to copy the rear-part.

It looks like the rear of an Accord from 2003-2004 or maybe older.

But hey, I don't have to look at it! whistling.gif

Ordered my Civic yesterday, will be delivered in 2 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, whilst i find it terribly uninspiring, especially when compared with the Civic that came before it, it's a Honda and as such in Thailand, will make for a reliable and practical drive that will make the bank manager happy when you come to sell it. I know there are some who don't care about such matters as practicality and resale value, and like to buy purely with their hearts in mind, but for me, with my budget, they are all to a degree, much of a muchness, and so then why not buy the one that makes most practical sense?

Congrats on the new car. Please let us know how you get on with it.