Pubs That Sell Guiness In Cm

wildpikey

Being from the states, I have never had a Guinness. In fact I am not one who is much on beer at all. My self I am a SangSom drinker but I think I will venture out to the Old Bell one night and see what all talk about Guinness is about. Maybe I will be a convert.

The first time I had a Guiness was in a pub in London. I forget the year - maybe 1978. I was hooked. Awesome stuff but not cheap.

The first time I had a Guiness was in a pub in London. I forget the year - maybe 1978. I was hooked. Awesome stuff but not cheap.

It most certainly would be cheap if we could get 1978 (even London) prices........ biggrin.png

It's like Beer Lao Dark. There was a local dark beer for a while but that never was a hit.

The dark Beer Laos is more like a German dunkel, highly carbonated and quite sweet.

Guinness is a viscous, dry stout, with low carbonation.

Not even remotely similar!

Exactly. The color of the beer is a very poor predictor of what it tastes like -- there must be at least a dozen very different styles of beer that are very dark in appearance.

Beerlao dark is back in town at the moment for the first time in 6-9 months. No similarity with Guinness but a fine drink in its own right. Personally i dont think its much like a Dunkel either. Less viscous and syrupy.

i thing the local dark beer was called Black Dragon, although i could be wrong. It was a shame it disappeared (years ago now) It wasn't brilliant. but it was a welcome change from lager in the days before imported beers.

Hi Pedre

Order a case of Fullers Porter next time you talk to BKK and try that - excellent burp.gif

Fuller's Porter already adorns my drinks fridge Sir! As does London Pride. And fine drinks they both are!

Good news !

Hi Pedre

Order a case of Fullers Porter next time you talk to BKK and try that - excellent burp.gif

Fuller's Porter already adorns my drinks fridge Sir! As does London Pride. And fine drinks they both are!

Have you considered adding any German beers to your bottled beer line up? It's conspicuous that you seem to carry almost every bottled beer that is distributed in North Thailand except for German and Belgian beers. Don't they sell?

Hi Pedre

Have you considered adding any German beers to your bottled beer line up? It's conspicuous that you seem to carry almost every bottled beer that is distributed in North Thailand except for German and Belgian beers. Don't they sell?

About 50 meters from the O Bell is the Number 1 bar .( go further down Loi Kroh and its the first laneway on your right .) .Its owned by a Belgian Falang and he sells 100s of different Belgian Beers

Hi Pedre

About 50 meters from the O Bell is the Number 1 bar .( go further down Loi Kroh and its the first laneway on your right .) .Its owned by a Belgian Falang and he sells 100s of different Belgian Beers

Yes, I know that there are other places to buy those beers. Just curious why the Red Lion and several high-end (by Chiang Mai standards) restaurants carry German beers but not the The Old Belle. My guess is that if they thought there was money in it they would be selling them.

Never really understood the ubiquitousness of Guinness myself. I mean is it really that good, or is its success merely a result of clever marketing & smart business?

If you enjoy a dark one, and ever find yourself in sunny Scotland, check out the Williams Brothers' 'Midnight Sun'. A truly heavenly porter!

Never really understood the ubiquitousness of Guinness myself. I mean is it really that good, or is its success merely a result of clever marketing & smart business?

If you enjoy a dark one, and ever find yourself in sunny Scotland, check out the Williams Brothers' 'Midnight Sun'. A truly heavenly porter!

Its not just marketing .Guinness has an unique taste .Some people hate it but others like myself are lifetime drinkers of it .It has copy's in Ireland such as Murphy's and Blemish which are very similar to Guinness .

PS ,About Number 1 bar ,they also give you a special glass for different types of beer .Its a common thing done in Belgium .

Its not just marketing .Guinness has an unique taste .Some people hate it but others like myself are lifetime drinkers of it .It has copy's in Ireland such as Murphy's and Blemish which are very similar to Guinness .

I don't hate it, but I honestly don't see/taste what the fuss is all about. And call me cynical, but all this talk of secret ingredients just screams of a clever marketing ploy to me, a la Coca Cola or KFC. Which is really what it has become - a mass produced, mass marketed, global product.

Anyway, each to their own, but give me a Midnight Sun over a Guinness any day! (not that I've got a hope in hell of finding one in LOS anytime soon.)

Hi Pedre

Well we do sell Erdinger Weissbier which is kind of German! But really there is a limit to the fridge space we have and the stock we can carry, so we sort of decided to concentrate on British and Australian beer so we've got VB, Coopers Pale and Sparkling ales Fosters & BeerLao Dark, plus of course Kilkenny on draught.

As Anto says, number 1 bar, run by my good friend Freddy, is located just down the road from us and he sells a massive range of Belgian beers. Little pieces of Belgium Australia and Britain in the heart of Loi Kroh Rd!!

Hi Pedre

Well we do sell Erdinger Weissbier which is kind of German! But really there is a limit to the fridge space we have and the stock we can carry, so we sort of decided to concentrate on British and Australian beer so we've got VB, Coopers Pale and Sparkling ales Fosters & BeerLao Dark, plus of course Kilkenny on draught.

As Anto says, number 1 bar, run by my good friend Freddy, is located just down the road from us and he sells a massive range of Belgian beers. Little pieces of Belgium Australia and Britain in the heart of Loi Kroh Rd!!

Try the weihenstephaner dunkelweizen or the paulaner heffewiezen and I bet that you'll look back and wonder why you were once wasting your shelf space on Erdinger. You are putting in a good effort on your bottled beer selection, just a few blind spots is all.

BTW, you're serving your Fullers way too cold. Sure, it warms up quick here, but it's darn near freezing straight out of your fridge and you're pouring into a ice frosted glass to boot.

Edited by OriginalPoster

try the weihenstephaner dunkelweizen or the paulaner heffewiezen and I bet that you'll look back and wonder why you were once wasting your shelf space on Erdinger. You are putting in a good effort on your bottled beer selection, just a few blind spots is all.

BTW, you're serving your Fullers way too cold. Sure, it warms up quick here, but it's darn near freezing straight out of your fridge and you're pouring into a ice frosted glass to boot.

Getting British or European beers or wines to a satisfactory temperature in the tropics is always very difficult and I quite understand your concerns. For the record, we don't generally use ice frosted glasses unless requested to do so (although staff don't always follow that policy!! - or any others!) If you get a Thai room temp glass, Pride should come up to temperature in under 5 minutes. Not perfect but as good as its possible to get in LOS. I stock Erdinger partly on request and partly because a very affable German called Gunther came to see me a year so ago and gave me a light box, trays, beer towels and mats, menu holders and all manner of other goodies that I've now had to cover up as Chiang Mai prepares to turn itself into a meditation city, and that kind of generosity deserves some loyalty in return!

not sure if it's improved but the Olde Bell never used to 'top up'

I have not been there for two years but last time a girl pulled me a pint and it has way too much 'head' and I asked for it to be 'topped up' and she said the 'owner' said it was not allowed. Wish they had the 'levels' marked here in Thailand on the glasses but this was definitely WAY below a normal pint so it may be the cheapest but are you getting a pint???

I have not been there for two years but last time a girl pulled me a pint and it has way too much 'head' and I asked for it to be 'topped up' and she said the 'owner' said it was not allowed. Wish they had the 'levels' marked here in Thailand on the glasses but this was definitely WAY below a normal pint so it may be the cheapest but are you getting a pint???

Are you talking about a Guinness pint ? ..Was in the Olde Bell a few days ago to check it out ,and the Guinness had a normal head on it .It was B195 so still cheaper at the Red Lion further down the road past the Burger king and the German Restaurant at B180 .

Are you talking about a Guinness pint ? ..Was in the Olde Bell a few days ago to check it out ,and the Guinness had a normal head on it .It was B195 so still cheaper at the Red Lion further down the road past the Burger king and the German Restaurant at B180 .

yes Guinness pint - if they had the mark on the glass you could tell if it WAS a full pint - at the Red Lion they are VERY careful to give me a FULL pint with the black stuff nearly at the top but maybe things have improved at OIde Bell so I'll go check it out again to be fair

In the UK and Ireland the head is fullsome - but that's because they have the legal pint marking on the glass and the glass is made oversized to accommodate some head

try the weihenstephaner dunkelweizen or the paulaner heffewiezen and I bet that you'll look back and wonder why you were once wasting your shelf space on Erdinger. You are putting in a good effort on your bottled beer selection, just a few blind spots is all.

Getting British or European beers or wines to a satisfactory temperature in the tropics is always very difficult and I quite understand your concerns. For the record, we don't generally use ice frosted glasses unless requested to do so (although staff don't always follow that policy!! - or any others!) If you get a Thai room temp glass, Pride should come up to temperature in under 5 minutes. Not perfect but as good as its possible to get in LOS. I stock Erdinger partly on request and partly because a very affable German called Gunther came to see me a year so ago and gave me a light box, trays, beer towels and mats, menu holders and all manner of other goodies that I've now had to cover up as Chiang Mai prepares to turn itself into a meditation city, and that kind of generosity deserves some loyalty in return!

I suppose that it’s not the end of the world if it’s too cold for the first few minutes after the pour, but generally I’m not one to let my pints sit around for 5 minutes after they’ve been presented to me. Probably you would get 10 times as many complaints if you served it too warm rather than too cold, so I’ll concede that it’s wise to err on the side of too cold.

But the first time I ordered a London Pride in Chiang Mai I was offered the beer with no glass, instead the bottle was in one of those foam “beer condoms” to keep it cool. When I asked for a glass, I was brought a 300 ml mug with ice in it. That was the end of the world.

don't forget to sign up for a Gold Card first: the discounted price is only available to local residents.

As to the quality, as we all get our Guinness from the same supplier and that supplier cleans the pipes, the quality should be pretty much the same in all 5 establishments that sell it: The Pub, The Red Lion, The Olde Bell, UN Irish and O'Malleys.

You obviously didn't have a chance to read page one of this thread. You seem very keen to make your point

don't forget to sign up for a Gold Card first: the discounted price is only available to local residents.

As to the quality, as we all get our Guinness from the same supplier and that supplier cleans the pipes, the quality should be pretty much the same in all 5 establishments that sell it: The Pub, The Red Lion, The Olde Bell, UN Irish and O'Malleys.

You obviously didn't have a chance to read page one of this thread. You seem very keen to make your point

and the point about top-up? I have not been for two years but... and I don't mind spending, for what is a very expensive beer here, but want a full pint (as I get at the Pub and RL) not a glass with lot's of white froth at the top and a refusal to to-up a glass that is obviously not full (unless it's in a glass with marking showing I'm getting a full pint - I don't drink the white stuff).

Maybe it was just a one-off? staff training issue? I hope you will agree that spending 195/180 whatever deserves a full measure :)

and the point about top-up? I have not been for two years but... and I don't mind spending, for what is a very expensive beer here, but want a full pint (as I get at the Pub and RL) not a glass with lot's of white froth at the top and a refusal to to-up a glass that is obviously not full (unless it's in a glass with marking showing I'm getting a full pint - I don't drink the white stuff).

Maybe it was just a one-off? staff training issue? I hope you will agree that spending 195/180 whatever deserves a full measure smile.png

I was obviously not behind the bar that night, apologies for that, but I usually am and I will always give you a full pint of Guinness. If anyone is unsatisfied, and I'm not there, give me a ring and I can sort out most problems (the number is on our business cards)

For those of you unhappy about the price of a pint of Guinness, Wednesday is members night with special deals on all kinds of things. Next Wednesday and the Wednesday after, we will be selling Guinness for 165 Baht (and Kilkenny at 150 Baht) You'd need to come in before Wednesday ​to sign up for a Gold Card if you dont already have one, then you qualify for the members offers.

I was obviously not behind the bar that night, apologies for that, but I usually am and I will always give you a full pint of Guinness. If anyone is unsatisfied, and I'm not there, give me a ring and I can sort out most problems (the number is on our business cards)

For those of you unhappy about the price of a pint of Guinness, Wednesday is members night with special deals on all kinds of things. Next Wednesday and the Wednesday after, we will be selling Guinness for 165 Baht (and Kilkenny at 150 Baht) You'd need to come in before Wednesday ​to sign up for a Gold Card if you dont already have one, then you qualify for the members offers.

excellent response as I sort of gathered that you would never knowingly condone it (staff probably got it confused).

I'll pop back in soon and try it out! thank you and I appreciate it