Samsung Ps59D550 59 Inch Plasma - Anybody Have One?

Will27

Hi Trend Setters

Have not been looking for a new TV as I'm happy with my Panasonic 50 inch.

BUT, was out and about yesterday and saw A/N reduced from 50 000 Baht

to 39 000.

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/archive/PS59D550C1MXXY

I'm not interested in extra's etc, just a big screen and this seems to fit the bill at a great price.

Would be interested in any opinions on quality and price etc.

Except from TongueThaied who hates all things Samsungbiggrin.png

Regards

Will

Great price, piece of junk. Don't buy it. Samsung's look good and have a great picture (at first) but they are unreliable junk and there is no service or parts available for dicontinued models. Stick with Panasonic or Sony. I have a friend that has a big Samsung plasma and it has horizontal lines through the picture and they can't get it fixed. Stuck. And it's only three years old.

And there's a reason I hate all things Samsung. I bought a top of the line MP3 player (cost me over 12K baht)and the touchscreen stopped working after 11 months -- repaired under warranty. Three months later it went out again. I took it to the Samsung shop and was informed that the model was discontinued and parts and service were no longer available. The recommended a Galaxy. I had a Samsung clothes washer that to motor went out on after three years (guaranteed for five). they informed me that only the motor was warranted, not the service. They wanted travel fees and labor fees to look at it, which would have cost more than the motor itself. They wouldn't just give me the moptor, so I tried to buy it. They won't sell you the parts. I junked it and bought a Hitachi. Another friend bought a Samsung LCD TV and the remote went out after three months. Remotes are excluded from their warranty. Cost him over 1,000 baht. Did I mention my wife's beautiful Samsung cell phone? Touchscreen went out right after the warranty expired. We had it repaired (1,300 baht) and it went out again four months later. Trashed it and bought a Nokia. I am building a house and was doing extensive research on appliances. One consumer site about refrigerators (gave Electrolux and Siemens top ratings for reliability) had Samsung refrigerators on a "Do Not Buy" list. No surprise there.

Whatever. I wish you luck my friend. My ass still burns over that MP3 player. I have a Sony now and have been quite happy with it. If I sound bitter, it's because I am.

Edited by TongueThaied

• 2 weeks later...

Samsung service is killing sales. Doesn't matter what one buys, if it breaks the buyer is just out of luck, period. Wife purchased a top of the line Samsung frig/freezer 2 years ago at a Power Buy Bitec sale. Two weeks ago she reported that it died. Called Samsung on a Friday morning. Was told they would call back the following Monday to set up an appointment. Well they did call and the "repairnam" showed up on that Thursday evening. Confirmed it was a bad compressor which would have to be put on order. Oh, even though the compressor has a 5 year guarantee it's gonna cost 2000 Baht to fix the thing, transportation / service charge. Funny thing is the repairman told us the new compressor costs 2000 baht. It's now the following Wednesday and still no word on when the repair MIGHT happen. I'm ready to bin the thing and replace it with anything but another Samsung.

Bottom line: Samsung quality = 0 Samsung service = 0 Samsung guarantee = 0

At least in your case with a T V U can easily bin it after it dies within a year or two and go out and buy a good T V.