Phuket Expat's 'Last Wishes' Hang In Limbo

webfact

Phuket expat's 'last wishes' hang in limbo

Phuket Gazette

ex.jpeg

The passport photo of the late Dave Leo, whose last wish was to have his ashes scattered in Chalong, Phuket.

PHUKET: -- Staff at Vachira Phuket Hospital are awaiting instructions from the British Embassy in Bangkok regarding what to do with the body of a British national who was found dead in his rented room in Chalong two weeks ago.

The body of Michael David Leo, 59, was discovered on the bed of his accommodation near Chalong Pier on the night on June 20.

However, Chalong Police said Mr Leo’s body is still being held at Vachira Phuket Hospital, where staff are awaiting instructions based on the wishes of the late Mr Leo’s relatives back in the UK.

Police recovered two notes near the body. In one, the London-born Mr Leo made it plain he intended to take his own life in order to end physical suffering from an unspecified physical condition. The note reads as follows:

"To whomever finds me,

I am sorry to do this but I can’t take the pain in my body anymore. Better for me to die now than to suffer the pain anymore. I want to say sorry to everyone who help[ed] me before and took care of me. Please cremate me and scatter the ashes in the road in front of A.P. Bar and ATM2. That way, I will not leave Thailand. Please do not send my body back to England. Thai people show me how to live a good life and I am happy to live here for 5 years. I have never met such beautiful people with such good hearts.

Please forgive me,

Dave

I love Thailand"

The second note, addressed to a Thai woman, was also recovered.

No valuables were found in the room, but police recovered two passports issued to Mr Leo along with some clothes and two 10-tablet packages of the drug Alprazolam. One package was empty.

Alprazolam (trade name Xanax) is a restricted drug in the benzodiazepine group that in Thailand is available by prescription only. Although those caught in possession are subject to arrest, the drug is sold over-the counter by some pharmacies in Phuket, especially in areas popular with tourists.

Despite the notes and the prescription drugs found in the room, police said that an initial examination of the body by doctors failed to confirm the exact cause of death.

A source at the British Embassy confirmed that the late Mr Leo’s relatives in the UK were aware of his passing.

Meanwhile, doctors at Vachira Phuket are awaiting his relatives’ decision as to whether his body should be sent out of Phuket for autopsy or cremated according to Mr Leo’s last wishes.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16350.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-05

His use of English and the grammatical areas make me question the authenticity of the note.

A seriously distressed person, or someone who has already taken some drugs could explain this, but if anyone knew him, they might be able to shed some light on this.

RIP.

Sadly you do not have any rights over your own body when you die. Your NOK is the one who decides what is done even if it goes directly against your wishes.

Edited by harrry

Sadly you do not have any rights over your own body when you die. Your NOK is the one who decides what is done even if it goes directly against your wishes.

Harry i think you are wrong, his note is like a will and should be adhered to.

R I P.

Harry i think you are wrong, his note is like a will and should be adhered to.

R I P.

Since the 1800’s the courts have made decisions to the effect that nobody owns your body after your death, however, your Executor does have certain duties in relation to it.

One of the first duties of your Executor is to arrange for the funeral. If there is a dispute between family members about the arrangements then the Executor has the final say, even overriding the views of your spouse.

Directions in your Will about your funeral are not binding on the Executor but are usually followed. Your estate is responsible for paying your funeral costs provided they are reasonable.

http://www.northlake...ic/Default.aspx

I understand UK is similar except that you apparently cannot be cremated unless you have agreed.

Embassys usually seem to favour foreign distant relatives despite your express wishes over common law wives and sometimes over registered ones.

Edited by harrry

I empathise with this man's last wishes (and don't share the conspiratorial doubts of some about the situation), but I suspect that the authorities in few countries would allow somebody's ashes to be scattered in a public place. It's a touching request--and it's good to see someone saying such positive things about Thailand and its people--but I think it's unlikely that his request will be met.

I wish someone could have found Him some alternative pain treatment, available here is both western and Thai and Chinese medicines and treatments.

I agree with him about the Thai's being mighty fine too. I also plan to be buried here. R.I.P.

His use of English and the grammatical areas make me question the authenticity of the note.

A seriously distressed person, or someone who has already taken some drugs could explain this, but if anyone knew him, they might be able to shed some light on this.

RIP.

I met Dave several times over the years and more recently when he had just returned from the Uk he was happy and just relieved to be back in Thailand. At know stage had he ever mentioned any serious medical condition. I agree the use of English makes me think that there may well be more to this than meets the eye as is ever the case.

RIP.

I met Dave several times over the years and more recently when he had just returned from the Uk he was happy and just relieved to be back in Thailand. At know stage had he ever mentioned any serious medical condition. I agree the use of English makes me think that there may well be more to this than meets the eye as is ever the case.

The pain he was referring to could well be a metaphor for a broken heart.

Edited by Valentine

Sad story, his note could be considered his last will and testament and doctors at the hospital should abide by it. I hope that they would do the same for me.

then please make sure you can pay for your cremation. He should at least have worn a 2 Baht gold chain, and stated in his letter that the chain was intended to cover the expenses for hospital examination, cremation and shattering of ashes.

An illness so severe does not excuse the absence of steps taken. R.I.P. fellow !

Edited by crazygreg44

Sad story, his note could be considered his last will and testament and doctors at the hospital should abide by it. I hope that they would do the same for me.

then please make sure you can pay for your cremation. He should at least have worn a 2 Baht gold chain, and stated in his letter that the chain was intended to cover the expenses for hospital examination, cremation and shattering of ashes.

An illness so severe does not excuse the absence of steps taken. R.I.P. fellow !

And if he had, the chain would have probably been long since gone.

The doctors really can't do anything, it is the family that has to take action and show some respect for him.

Poor git.

This is a problem with people coming out here. They loose all their senses.

Usually its too much of a good thing that gets people in the end. This was his way out. Could have been avoided with a little compassion from his friends etc... But looks just like another broken heart story. If it was over a woman then you have to be fairly shot in the head to want top your self. Id never do that to my self even if Angelina Jolie dumped me for Brad Pit.

If it was a genuine physical pain that could not be treated, or a terminal pain that needed constant drugs then i guess that was his only option. Mind you if i was in severe pain i probably want to get it over and done with also. Its a shitty live to lead.

RIP.

I'm guessing it was the reporters error. Or maybe it was translated into Thai for the investigators and the journalist translated back to English from their notes?