Power Adapter For Macbook Pro - Where To Buy?

MaciejKlimowicz

Half a year ago? Get it replaced for free at any Apple authorized dealer in BKK, any iStudio. It does come with a 1 year warranty. Normally you won't need a receipt of purchase either.

How is it broken, and what is broken? Some Mac repair shops can probably fix it if it's the cable or the magsafe plug.

There are no 3rd party power adapters for Macs as Apple doesn't license their patented MagSafe plug. I think it's probably because they think that 3rd party power adapters are poor quality and good chance they'll blow up your Mac - can't really blame them. The MagSafe system is cool but not something I'd trust a no-name chinese hardware maker to create clones of.

Half a year ago? Get it replaced for free at any Apple authorized dealer in BKK, any iStudio. It does come with a 1 year warranty. Normally you won't need a receipt of purchase either.

How is it broken, and what is broken? Some Mac repair shops can probably fix it if it's the cable or the magsafe plug.

There are no 3rd party power adapters for Macs as Apple doesn't license their patented MagSafe plug. I think it's probably because they think that 3rd party power adapters are poor quality and good chance they'll blow up your Mac - can't really blame them. The MagSafe system is cool but not something I'd trust a no-name chinese hardware maker to create clones of.

It just stopped charging. The magsafe light flashes for a sec and than it's gone.

There are no 3rd party power adapters for Macs

The thing is I HAD a third party adapter. I boutgh it together with my secondhand macbook. It was a strange construction - a big power adapter like the ones used for pc laptopos and a cable with the magsafe plug. It stopped working after a couple of months.

I'll give it a chance in an iStore (I didn't buy the power adapter there so I don't have a receipt - I got it in a funny little unauthorised mac shop in Panthip) and if that doesn't work ill try the adress mentioned above.

Thanx!

Mac

Wot? You had a 3rd party power adapter - which would clearly be unsanctioned by Apple, and definitely not sold anywhere in the first world - and it broke? Well.. you might have to get an original next time then, they do come with a 1 year warranty ;)

An Apple dealer is definitely not going to replace or fix a 3rd party adapter.

Mine got a little wonky after 3 years but I fixed it by spraying it with Sonax. These little connector pins are spring loaded and I guess something got stuck in there. If in the USA I'd actually go and return a power adapter no matter how old, just tell them it kind of starts smelling and it gets really hot and they'll likely replace it for free. In Thailand it's unfortunately a different story.

I got it on eBay, together with my Macbook. No idea where it originally came from.

Anyway - the one I have to deal with now is the original one. I got it a couple of months ago here in Bangkok, but not in an apple store. And it broke too...Yeah - I had two broken power adapters in less than a year...

I'll give replacing it in an iStore a try and if this doesn't work I'll have to get a new one.

Cheers,

Mac

I think you have problem with voltage spikes on your poower line,you need surge protect or。

That's a possibility. If the replacement Apple power adapter also breaks then it's probably the power lines in your house.

Another, maybe simpler solution is to get an extension plug with a switch and surge protector. I don't know if those surge protectors actually work, but the switch is useful - always turn it off, then plug in, then turn it on. That way you avoid the zap that happens when you plug into a live power outlet.

Zapping seemed to be particularly bad in my in-law's house years back, it seemed like a sizable flash of lightning every time I plugged in... and that's where my PowerBook G4's power adapter died. I don't think that was a co-incidence.

one more thing:

if you have 2 defected power adapters - it is possible to make one good out of two failed?try!it is not difficult.

For sure you have 2 good proprietory cables,take one of them and attach it to output of new power brick with the same voltage and output current.

any maker will do,must have the same output voltage and bigger output power,then previous one.It is possible,that you used underpowered adapters before,which did not meet specification of your comp.