Another Sin Sot Question

krisb

nang sao. anyways its getting a little bit off beat now although its good hearing the chat! end of the day, im gonna pay something. i dont wanna be the 1 the local ladies gossip about next! haha. its all good, shes worth it to me. i just wanted a little feedback from others experience which has been great thanks really appreciated. suppose a little goes a long way.

Edited by krisb

• 2 weeks later...

This is the 21th century, even in Thailand. Sinsod is an archaic tradition.

My youngest son married a well off girl from a wealty family (factory with 1000 employees) no Sinsod was paid, because he had a good reputation, good career prospects and had is own house.

I recently re-married (widower) with an woman who had no children, never married before en had a good carreer. No Sinsod was paid or asked for.

Non of my children ever paid any Sinsod or was asked for.

My deceased wife was totaly against Sinsod, but when a boy came to ask to be married with her only daughter, she asked a sinsod that she know he could not pay even in a million years, because its was a boy with no good future, bad reputation and family history. So the wedding was off.

6 months later her daughter stopped the relationship.

So sinsod can also be a tool to chase away unsuitable suitors.

• Like 1

Sin Sod is a tradition and a must have in thai and many Asian cultures wedding. If you marry here in Australia in a western style, then I dont think there is a need but if there is a Thai ceremony invovle then there should be Sin Sod. To us, Sin Sod is even more important than the ring because Sin Sod is the way to pay respect to her parents (you are taken their daughters away from them)

With the amount, you can negotiate to fit in with what you can afford. It is similar to the ring, the bigger the better but if you cant afford then small is generally fine tongue.png

P.S - Im a Lao girl and we share similar tradition and cultures between Thai/ Lao

'Sin Sod is a tradition and a must have in thai"

If its a must please explain why I didnt pay it.

If its a must please explain why there was none at the last Thai wedding I atteneded in Bkk.

'Im a Lao girl and we share similar tradition and cultures between Thai/ Lao"

Really?

So in your country what happens to the sin sot, is it just for show and is it returned afterwards?

Is sin sot payable for girls who have been married before?

Are you talking about sharing similair customs between Lao and Issan people?

Would be interested to hear what customs and traditions you share and have in common with lets say, those from the south of Thailand.

Are you Lao or Thai? Hmmm, who knows the culture better?

Over 10 years in Thailand maybe near 100 Thai friends married, Lest than half paid or received Sin Sod. More modern Thais do not. Usually only the older Issan want it. Almost all I know who paid it to a modern family gave it back, The ones in Issan used it to pay fo rht ewedding and party. But are you really getting married or just the Thai traditional one the Thailand or any other country does not reconise ?

Any woman married before would not get it from a Thai man, nor would any woman with a child.

My wife never asked, I never gave any, and from my heart I help the family when and how I wish. They are thankful

• Like 1

Sin Sod is a tradition and a must have in thai and many Asian cultures wedding. If you marry here in Australia in a western style, then I dont think there is a need but if there is a Thai ceremony invovle then there should be Sin Sod. To us, Sin Sod is even more important than the ring because Sin Sod is the way to pay respect to her parents (you are taken their daughters away from them)

With the amount, you can negotiate to fit in with what you can afford. It is similar to the ring, the bigger the better but if you cant afford then small is generally fine tongue.png

P.S - Im a Lao girl and we share similar tradition and cultures between Thai/ Lao

If its a must please explain why there was none at the last Thai wedding I atteneded in Bkk.

Really?

So in your country what happens to the sin sot, is it just for show and is it returned afterwards?

Would be interested to hear what customs and traditions you share and have in common with lets say, those from the south of Thailand.

Read the excellent posts numbered 32 & 34.

Also notice Kh thuk hasnt bothered to come back after being shot down in flames, didnt even bother getting into how the Thais refer to their Laos cousins.

You carry on beleiving what the Issan princesses pass off as Thai culture onto the gullible farang kwai.

• Like 1

Really?

Read the excellent posts numbered 32 & 34.

Also notice Kh thuk hasnt bothered to come back after being shot down in flames, didnt even bother getting into how the Thais refer to their Laos cousins.

You carry on beleiving what the Issan princesses pass off as Thai culture onto the gullible farang kwai.

But I should believe you? giggle.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, Cheaper to get married in Thailand hands down. Only 2 million Baht SinSot in Thailand, but be careful if the greedy Mother in law wants it in AUD, 2 Mill AUD would make her a rather expensive trophy.

Hey, Cheaper to get married in Thailand hands down. Only 2 million Baht SinSot in Thailand, but be careful if the greedy Mother in law wants it in AUD, 2 Mill AUD would make her a rather expensive trophy.

Geez, noones gettn 2mil in any currency.