Bicycling In Northern Thailand / Doi Mae Salong/ Youtube Vids(4)

burgdawg

Bicycling in Northern Thailand February 2012

At least folks can get an idea of what the terrain looks like in this part of the world....across into Myanmar briefly(border town of Tachileik) and then dropped back down south to Mae Chan.

Mae Chan is north of Chiang Rai and WEST of Hey #1.

Peeled west and began the tough climb to Doi Mae Salong in Hwy #1130. Very steep, pretty countryside.

Then dropped out of Doi Mae Salong south on Hwy#1234 to #1089

This terrain is primarily what the vids are about. Uphill, my speeds were 4-8kmph. You bet I walked a few stretches, I was gassed(fatigued).

Downhill? In excess of 75 kmph.

I had pleng Isaan (Tai music) pumped into my ear phones, so doing these downhills are exactly the same songs I was listening to as the terrain

revealed itself under my bottom bracket. Tai music may not be to everyone's liking, but once you are hooked, there is no going back. or, just mute the YouTube soundtrack.

The vids are really just of one area: Mae Sai, Tachileik, Mae Chan west to Doit Tung. Doi Mae Salong and then south to Mae Ai.

Made it from Doi Mae Salong to Chiang Dao in one epic 160km day.

Next day was 78 km to Chiang Mai. My vid cards were filled up by the time I dropped into Mae Ai, which is near Fang and where Hwy#1089 turns into #107. Had enough space for still photographs.

From Chiang Mai east to Den Chai, 210 km. Then south to Uttaradit. Said goodbye to the mountains at Uttaradit, but with the flat terrain

came tremendous temps...as in 101F at 10pm at night arriving at Phitsanulok on the Chao Phraya River. I was cooked. Rested that night and the following day.

Then split at night. Night touring is fine by me, but then one is competing with heavy lorries (trucks) and buses.

Pedaled onto Nakhon Sawan, another 125 km south of Phitsanulok. I was facing "The Beast." That is, pedaling around and through all the khlongs (canals) of Bangkok.

I punched my ticket and took an aircon bus back to Pattaya. I needed to rest. Spent about $10-$20 per day for all expenses: food shelter and excellent meals and coffee. I would pedal from 6am until 11am, Eat a big lunch, get a massage and pass out. Rehydrate and rest.

Begin pedaling again by 2-3pm and pedal until 10-11pm. Find a place and shower, wash togs and sleep.

About a 900km run in all in less than 10 days....

fun run....nice way to spend winter months.....

burgdawg

enjoy.........

Bicycling in Northern Thailand Part 1

Bicycling in Northern Thailand Part 2