Best Way To Bring Imac To Thailand

TheShockMaster

I'm moving over to Thailand in September and I've got a 24" iMac that I would ideally like to bring with me but it weighs 11kg plus if I got a proper hard flight case for it it would probably add another 2-3kg on top of that.

What would be the cheapest way of getting it over to Thailand from the UK? I'd imagine excess baggage would cost a fortune.

Thanks for any advice you have.

it's gonna be much cheaper to buy the machine new .. and just carry the harddiscs here.

or can you wait about 3 weeks for it sitting on a Boat ?

but then there is still the glory thai-customs, if you have bad luck they make you pay for another 2 new iMacs to get it in the country.

Thanks for your input. As I suspected, it would be best to sell it in the UK and buy another in Thailand. I have a MacBook pro so will probably just use that and purchase a large monitor to attach to it. Thanks folks

That would be a good option... buy a mac mirror!wink.png

when I moved here I did bring my Imac, but got hit with "taxes and fees" at customs.... it is a figure that is just made up.... rolleyes.gif

I forget how much now, but had a bunch of other things too... although it was cheaper than buying a new one (freight and taxes)

It depends if you can sell the present one for a good price..... wink.png

tha Apple community is quite big in THailand too. .. so you also can easy get a used screen n good condition for much less money.

everything has a network connection here at my place has a apple on (or in) it (well not the xbox) ;P

but i bought most of the stuff of the street from private hands ...

Mac peoples not fuc_king around too much so its easy and safe doing business

Edited by nullx8

A friend of mine just put his in a suitcase, pad it enough, make sure you have enough luggage allowance, and you're good to go.

Works very well, I've since bought it off of him wink.png

Of course luggage allowance from Europe is usually a joke so it kind of depends what kind of deal you have, what airline, what ticket, etc. They're all different but it seems by default they only want you to bring 20kg... a separate box shipped will probably cost you around $100. Id put the iMac and the padding in the big suitcase (I have a Samsonite that would easily fit it), and if you find you have too much weight put whatever else you have in a separate bag.

The airlines charge crazy fees for excess luggage but there's always companies at the airport who will do it for a fraction.

PS: ^ the above was a 24" iMac also.

Edited by nikster