World Top University Lists + Best In Asia

I don't think anyone seriously suggests that there are no good faculties in Thai universities.

Rather it is the systematic corruption, plagiarism and nepotism heaped on to the top down educational policy of instilling obedience to form over inquiry and substance.

Thailand's top university by reputation is also frequently in the press over allegations of plagerism, accademic awards for sale and nepotism.

It is in the very nature of the systematic problems within Thailand's university education system that no sooner will a faculty achieve a good reputation, than it will become the target of those who will cheat, pay or pull strings to get their share of the accademic glow.

But at Least the female student uniforms are pleasing to the eye, so I guess all else can be ignored.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update.......I've just noticed that Chulalongkorn University comes in at number 171 in the World list. Credit where credit is due and my apologies for not catching it before I posted my OP.

Well done Chulalongkorn University wai.gif

Mahidol Uni # 229, also well done wai.gif

I'm pretty underwhelmed by that. Thailand is the 31st biggest economy in the world, 20th biggest country by population, and (flame suit on) a relatively established and developed democracy in the context of this region. It has a fair sized middle class, and ought to be able to have at least one world class university, but it just hasn't. While tiny Hong Kong has 3, Malaysia and Singapore both manage to get into the top 100, as do Korea and China (so we can't blame language).

Surprised by India's relatively lackluster performance there.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone seriously suggests that there are no good faculties in Thai universities.

Rather it is the systematic corruption, plagiarism and nepotism heaped on to the top down educational policy of instilling obedience to form over inquiry and substance.

[...]

That sounds about right. It's quite top down at least in a kind of "rubber stamp" way. Many things at faculty level seem to require approval from the top, but quite often things are not necessarily quality controlled. Sometimes there seems the be more discretion for faculty members to do as they like than in comparison to UK universities. This is providing no one has taken offence, regardless whether the own initative (or the lack of it) is good or bad in terms of the quality of eduction.

Edited by Morakot

I graduated from Oxford 6 years ago and did not keep any of my old essays.

If you google "sample Oxford essay" I am sure you will find some examples.

Sweet. Predictable, but sweet.

It would have been nice to talk about Oriel, but not now.

Something now tells me that a hundred or so of my fellow Oriel "compatriots" may also be members of this forum. And we wouldn't want them all to share my little secrets, would we? Imagine the shame of those drunken evenings at the Turf Tavern becoming public!

I went to Univ.

It's all about subtlety.

a. the Turf Tavern.

b. Browns.

c. rowing in the Cherwell.

d. did you live in Summertown or on the Cowley Road?

e. the "Fools on the hill".

f. shopping in Cornmarket Street.

When I mention any of the above, I don't need to say any more.

Have more than thou showest;

speak less than thou knowest.

You talk too much. That's what gives you away.

Edited by CurryAfficionado

I graduated from Oxford 6 years ago and did not keep any of my old essays.

If you google "sample Oxford essay" I am sure you will find some examples.

Sweet. Predictable, but sweet.

It would have been nice to talk about Oriel, but not now.

Something now tells me that a hundred or so of my fellow Oriel "compatriots" may also be members of this forum. And we wouldn't want them all to share my little secrets, would we? Imagine the shame of those drunken evenings at the Turf Tavern becoming public!

I went to Univ.

It's all about subtlety.

a. the Turf Tavern.

b. Browns.

c. rowing in the Cherwell.

d. did you live in Summertown or on the Cowley Road?

e. the "Fools on the hill".

f. shopping in Cornmarket Street.

When I mention any of the above, I don't need to say any more.

Have more than thou showest;

speak less than thou knowest.

You talk too much. That's what gives you away.

Do you mean "The Turf"?

It is a mistake to believe the world ranking of Thai universities matters within the Thai university society - for a few individuals seeking international recognition it does matter, but for the most part the Thai university system supplies badges and membership for wider society.

I've personally witnessed the Chula Club in action in a number of Thai corporations, they monopolise key posts and direct the recruiting and rewards systems to favour other Chula graduates, and in extreme, graduates of their own 'class'. It's not unusual therefore to see Thai CVs which provide details of University, course and then the statement 'Class of 2002' etc.

Moreover, I've also witnessed the exclusion of individuals with qualifications from overseas universities, on more than one occasion I've heard the statement 'we are seeking graduates of Thai universities' and I've heard statements along the lines of 'A doesn't think the Thai way' - 'A being a Thai who was educated overseas'.

Amongst my social circle are a handful of Thai graduates of masters programs at some of the world's top universities, I have discussed this issue with them and they all report that they have experienced difficulty obtaining employment in 'wholly Thai organisations' whereas internationals organisations bit their hand off when they applied

The Top down policy I refer to of encouraging obedience to form over inquiry and substance, comes from a bit further up the ladder than at the faculty or even university level.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

It is a mistake to believe the world ranking of Thai universities matters within the Thai university society - for a few individuals seeking international recognition it does matter, but for the most part the Thai university system supplies badges and membership for wider society.

I've personally witnessed the Chula Club in action in a number of Thai corporations, they monopolise key posts and direct the recruiting and rewards systems to favour other Chula graduates, and in extreme, graduates of their own 'class'. It's not unusual therefore to see Thai CVs which provide details of University, course and then the statement 'Class of 2002' etc.

Moreover, I've also witnessed the exclusion of individuals with qualifications from overseas universities, on more than one occasion I've heard the statement 'we are seeking graduates of Thai universities' and I've heard statements along the lines of 'A doesn't think the Thai way' - 'A being a Thai who was educated overseas'.

Amongst my social circle are a handful of Thai graduates of masters programs at some of the world's top universities, I have discussed this issue with them and they all report that they have experienced difficulty obtaining employment in 'wholly Thai organisations' whereas internationals organisations bit their hand off when they applied

The Top down policy I refer to of encouraging obedience to form over inquiry and substance, comes from a bit further up the ladder than at the faculty or even university level.

Sorry that's what I meant, the Office of the Higher Education Commission *approving* (or rubber-stamping) individual courses for degree programmes here in Thailand. In the UK the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education provides guidance, which are internally applied within departments or faculties.

Interesting to hear about Thai graduates with Western qualifications not always being accepted. I've heard that in some public sector organisations in Thailand, degrees from good US or UK are well appreciated.

Thailand's top university by reputation is also frequently in the press over allegations of plagerism, accademic awards for sale and nepotism.

It is in the very nature of the systematic problems within Thailand's university education system that no sooner will a faculty achieve a good reputation, than it will become the target of those who will cheat, pay or pull strings to get their share of the accademic glow.

But at Least the female student uniforms are pleasing to the eye, so I guess all else can be ignored.

Its fortunate then, that Thailand's top university in actual results (Mahidol) doesn't have these problems you ascribe to Chula lol.