World Top University Lists + Best In Asia

Nice to see that my University rated in the 'top 50' in the world.

As a complete aside ... I topped the State in quantitative analysis (no BS) ... and I would trade that distinguishment for the ability to learn the Thai Language in a heart beat.

I find that soooooooo hard to do (everyone's brain is wired differently) ... thai language is so hard and I have tried! Oh ... BTW ... I continue to try.

But the best I can do is 'rote learn' the Thai words and phrases.

Lucky you I spend all day trying to learn a word and tomorrow .........................its totally gone, another example is all my life I thought I could do a marathon or soemthing but again after 2-3 minutes running get stitch terribly and NO it doesnt go away worst thing is Im not exactly ancient at 48. Drives me nuts at times and people here who blather on about not learning ought to realise this, lets see the same people excel at Bricklaying or something. Fact is if everyone could learn easy the world would be very different and those linguists would be crap bricklayers.

Of course there are the lucky few in life who seem able to pick up anything and do it be ot bricklaying or rocket science.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Oxford and I think it was well worth the time (3 years) and cost (or opportunity cost). I learnt some basic economic theory and some very useful general skills that have helped me to do well since graduating.

Given the rankings, the Thai universities are the equivalent of joke universities back home, where less academic students go mostly to develop their non-academic / life skills (as well as some academic studies).

I doubt studying at a Thai university offers much of an academic grounding, and (at least based on the Thai graduates I know) the Thai universities don't give students much chance to develop life skills.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

An example for Guesthouse - painting all Thai universities with the same brush, without consideration for the quality programs that do exist in pockets.

I went to Oxford and I think it was well worth the time (3 years) and cost (or opportunity cost). I learnt some basic economic theory and some very useful general skills that have helped me to do well since graduating.

Given the rankings, the Thai universities are the equivalent of joke universities back home, where less academic students go mostly to develop their non-academic / life skills (as well as some academic studies).

I doubt studying at a Thai university offers much of an academic grounding, and (at least based on the Thai graduates I know) the Thai universities don't give students much chance to develop life skills.

An example for Guesthouse - painting all Thai universities with the same brush, without consideration for the quality programs that do exist in pockets.

Agreed, I should have said the TOP universities in Thailand are equivalent to joke universities in the UK, and the others are even worse.

I'd challenge anyone to come spend a day at my faculty, at Mahidol and then conclude that it is a "Joke". We're the best in SE Asia, and improving. The exception, yes, but the exception that doesn't allow for the broad sweeping negative generalizations without an addendum that pockets of quality do exist.

Edited by somtumlion

I'd challenge anyone to come spend a day at my faculty, at Mahidol and then conclude that it is a "Joke". We're the best in SE Asia, and improving. The exception, yes, but the exception that doesn't allow for the broad sweeping negative generalizations without an addendum that pockets of quality do exist.

Please post an essay by one of the students doing a bachelors there and let us give our opinion...

• Like 1

Please post an essay by one of the students doing a bachelors there and let us give our opinion...

Music school - get off the bar stool and come to a concert.

Lucky you I spend all day trying to learn a word and tomorrow ....

Mate ... don't worry, travelmann, you are not alone.

Try as we may ... it does not come easily ... or sometimes, not at all.

I understand your frustration 100% ... wink.png

I don't drink nor am I an expert on music. Can you post a video for others to comment?

Or maybe provide a list of the more celebrated musicians who were trained in your faculty.

(Did you like that generalization - You are probably not on a barstool, but its the same idea with a different subject thing. All Thai women are hookers, all expats are drunks, all Thai universities are sh$t, etc...)

I don't drink nor am I an expert on music. Can you post a video for others to comment?

Or maybe provide a list of the more celebrated musicians who were trained in your faculty.

Google can do that easily enough for you. Proof is in the pudding. You come over here for a concert - I'll get you the tickets. Then we can debate it after you've seen the proof.

Is that really an example of 'hate' or is it an example of someone passing an opinion which he clearly states is (at least based upon the experience of Thai graduates I know)?

If there were no basis for the view I might agree it to be ignorant diatribe, which of course might be based in hatred. But the basis seems to be a knowledge and experience of real Thai graduates - are we to disallow a negative view?

Or should we observe your defense of Thai universities being reliant upon a few pockets of good? Ot seems you at one accept and deny the validity of the criticism.

Again, the hate seems to be against those holding and expressing opinions.

Edited by GuestHouse

An opinion based on a limited sample cannot be held up as a generalization concerning "All". The "haters will hate" comment is an American slang reference that seems to have rubbed you the wrong way, but is just used in the colloquial to suggest people who assert negative opinions without a complete knowledge of the circumstances or situation.

H3ll, post a masters thesis. I've seen them -- from Mahidol. A couple of my wife's family members went their for their medical program -- one for opthamology and one for something else (can't recall). I saw her thesis paper -- total joke.

I think a lack of research based degrees hinders Thai university rankings internationally.

As for me, I had a place at a top 5 UK uni but chose to join the Army instead (to the disgust of my family).

I have since got a degree but didn't think it was that useful to be honest.

Even in the UK, university is not about education anymore, but job preparation/training.

Bring back uni for thinkers and pollys/apprenticeships for do-ers.

An opinion based on a limited sample cannot be held up as a generalization concerning "All". The "haters will hate" comment is an American slang reference that seems to have rubbed you the wrong way, but is just used in the colloquial to suggest people who assert negative opinions without a complete knowledge of the circumstances or situation.

And interestingly one that you tossed into the thread without any evidence of hate.

Americsn slang perhaps, the standard response of a section of the TV membership who can't stomach others expressing views they do not agree with - definitely.

I laughed when I read this list. The world's 10 best universities curiously have an over-representation of English universities. Then when you look up the details for the organisation that puts the list together..... surprise, surprise....its HQ is in England! No bias though I am sure.

Also interesting that CalTech is listed at number 12 whereas in the United States it is rated number 1. How can there be such a difference in ranking? P.S. I am not stating this as some patriot yank..... I am an Aussie!

As for whether going to university is worth it..... let me explain my perspective. If you want to actually learn something practical then it is a total waste of time, money and effort. However it does help you to develop a working self-discipline.

I laughed when I read this list. The world's 10 best universities curiously have an over-representation of English universities. Then when you look up the details for the organisation that puts the list together..... surprise, surprise....its HQ is in England! No bias though I am sure.

Also interesting that CalTech is listed at number 12 whereas in the United States it is rated number 1. How can there be such a difference in ranking? P.S. I am not stating this as some patriot yank..... I am an Aussie!

As for whether going to university is worth it..... let me explain my perspective. If you want to actually learn something practical then it is a total waste of time, money and effort. However it does help you to develop a working self-discipline.

And, is indeed more-or-less required to get one's 'foot in the door' at many well-paying companies and in many industries with higher barriers for entry (law, medicine, engineering, etc).

Why don't you post one of your own essays. And then tell us where you studied. And then "let us give our opinion".

Why don't you post one of your own essays. And then tell us where you studied. And then "let us give our opinion".

I graduated from Oxford 6 years ago and did not keep any of my old essays.

If you google "sample Oxford essay" I am sure you will find some examples.

Sweet. Predictable, but sweet.

It would have been nice to talk about Oriel, but not now.

Something now tells me that a hundred or so of my fellow Oriel "compatriots" may also be members of this forum. And we wouldn't want them all to share my little secrets, would we? Imagine the shame of those drunken evenings at the Turf Tavern becoming public!

Sweet. Predictable, but sweet.

It would have been nice to talk about Oriel, but not now.

Something now tells me that a hundred or so of my fellow Oriel "compatriots" may also be members of this forum. And we wouldn't want them all to share my little secrets, would we? Imagine the shame of those drunken evenings at the Turf Tavern becoming public!

I went to Univ.

And interestingly one that you tossed into the thread without any evidence of hate.

Americsn slang perhaps, the standard response of a section of the TV membership who can't stomach others expressing views they do not agree with - definitely.

If you had observed the repeated slagging, over years, that occurs every time this topic is trotted out, perhaps your opinion would be different. You seem to not want to consider my point regarding generalizations at all, so I'll let you have yours, enjoy.

Google can do that easily enough for you. Proof is in the pudding. You come over here for a concert - I'll get you the tickets. Then we can debate it after you've seen the proof.

Brit et al - offer still stands. If you want to hear the proof of my assertion that at least one faculty at one university is producing at a high caliber - come visit and hear a concert. Tickets are on me. Should I hold my breath? PM for concert schedule and directions.

Brit et al - offer still stands. If you want to hear the proof of my assertion that at least one faculty at one university is producing at a high caliber - come visit and hear a concert. Tickets are on me. Should I hold my breath? PM for concert schedule and directions.

Thanks very much for your kind offer.

I will not be attending but that is more due to a lack of interest rather than any belief that your students cannot play beautiful music.

Thanks very much for your kind offer.

I will not be attending but that is more due to a lack of interest rather than any belief that your students cannot play beautiful music.

Judge each on their own merits, that all I ask.

This thread is about ranking of universities, with an emphasis on comparing the quality of higher education across different countries. It is not the thread for general bickering and pointless tangential comments. Please choose your venue wisely for adequate satisfaction.

Edited by Morakot

It's easy to criticise Thai universities, but never forget that many of them have several excellent faculties (they may not be the ones which score highly on the ranking system). Medical and engineering faculties tend to be good... Payap University has an excellent Music faculty.... and so on.

When I was in Hong Kong, I had to read many essays produced by Hong Kong graduates of American Universities. Most of them couldn't write English. The good American Universities are very good indeed, the bad ones are, likewise, very poor.