Dj'S...Cool Or What.

samsiam

Can someone please explain to me why it is considered so cool to hang around the DJ box watching said gimp pressing the cd in and out button....and thinking he is soooo cool.....with your hands up in the air maybe.

I cannot fathom how a guy that puts cd's into a machine can be considered artistic or any kind of a star.....I mean, even I can do that...my 7yo certainly can.

Is it the DJ's fault for being so anal, or is it the party goers fault for idolising a nobody ??

• Like 1

To Op, I think your 7 year old is not able to mix the music as the Dj does, but certainly able to change CDs. Wonder why you teach a 7 year old to change cds.

Djing is not only changing cds. I don't think a mere cd changer Dj is idolized, this is a totally wrong conception but there are talented djs who are able to create a unique atmosphere by mixing music, usinf effects, and timing. If you ever try it, you will realize how difficult it is. I have learnt playing musical instruments and also tried music mixing and can affirm creating, writing and then mixing tracks is way more difficult than you think. In the reality, a "real" dj is quite a musical talent, able to play musical instruments, has studied in musical school.

A person, putting cds in the machine, is not considered a Dj. Where did you see the situation you described?

• Like 2

To Op, I think your 7 year old is not able to mix the music as the Dj does, but certainly able to change CDs. Wonder why you teach a 7 year old to change cds.

Djing is not only changing cds. I don't think a mere cd changer Dj is idolized, this is a totally wrong conception but there are talented djs who are able to create a unique atmosphere by mixing music, usinf effects, and timing. If you ever try it, you will realize how difficult it is. I have learnt playing musical instruments and also tried music mixing and can affirm creating, writing and then mixing tracks is way more difficult than you think. In the reality, a "real" dj is quite a musical talent, able to play musical instruments, has studied in musical school.

A person, putting cds in the machine, is not considered a Dj. Where did you see the situation you described?

+1

• Like 1

Good DJ's have a feel for the crowd and by their choice of music and the way they mix you get the party going or not.

It's a bit more than putting cd's in a box although modern technology helps a lot when arranging the music in the right bpm's.

• Like 1

Saw it while standing next to the DJ box with all the other cool people.

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

If the content is from another forum, don't bother re-posting.

I sit in the middle.

I appreciate that there is a moderate amount of talent required to mix tunes together at the same BPM and take the crowd (and their stimulants) with you. However, do you need to invest the 10000 hours it takes to become a master of a musical instrument? No you don't.

Even Deadmau5 admits to being a button pusher.

There's a pretty good career in beings button pusher though. DJ Tiesto is worth 65million USD....amazing.

When kids get to be about 5 years old they get the idea that obnoxious sounds repeated over and over again in the same sequence drives adults crazy. That is basically the secret to drum and base. Drum and base is the driving force behind modern DJ's. They take tracks picked for their ability to drive adults crazy and repeat them at different speeds and levels and in different ways. They take songs that adults used to like and mix them with repetitive sounds so adults can't stand the tune any more. It is the war of the generations over and over again.

You have to think of a kind of music that drives your parents crazy or you would not be the younger generation. Rock and roll drove the Lawrence Welk crowd bonkers.

Back when I was young and stupid I had a mobile DJ rig, I used to tour around weddings and seriously dodgy clubs, the last night I did it a fight worthy of a Western bar room brawl broke out at the Hamilton Hibernian club. I was delighted watching such an outstanding fight, but not happy when someone scratched my brand new copy of Huey Lewis and the News "Stuck With You".

I earned £30.00 a night, back in the day when my apprentice wages were £30.00 a week. I can safely say that I was never going to trouble the heights of DJ Tiesto, but I am also happy to report that many of the star struck groupies hanging around the DJ box were ladies that were willin' to be thrillin'..

I was that gimp, and I can confirm that when I was young and stupid I had very low morals, my medical records at the STD clinic could testify that to that. smile.png

By the way, is being a DJ not recognized as being an entertainer within the Thai visa regulations? I met a guy that told me that was how he got his work permit, do any of you know farangs that are working as DJ's???

If that was true I'd maybe need to get the old record collection out again. smile.png

By the way, is being a DJ not recognized as being an entertainer within the Thai visa regulations? I met a guy that told me that was how he got his work permit, do any of you know farangs that are working as DJ's???

If that was true I'd maybe need to get the old record collection out again. smile.png

Yes I know one and he is a gimp.

Great clip Thad,

I've read of a few well known artists that enjoy seeing what dj's like Fatboy Slim do with their original songs. The even greater benefit is that a lot of them make fortunes out of the royalties long after their career is over. thumbsup.gif

Great clip Thad,

I've read of a few well known artists that enjoy seeing what dj's like Fatboy Slim do with their original songs. The even greater benefit is that a lot of them make fortunes out of the royalties long after their career is over. thumbsup.gif

Cheers mate, I picked the short one in a hurry though, the longer one is better.

Like yourself, I did the twin deck DJ thing many years ago, simple times back then, as I am sure you will admit, all that was required was a couple of floor fillers and a big smile (the only track I flatly refused to play was Whip It by Devo).... a few years later when I was working for Apple, I had this god almighty 'puter system that had non destructive sound editing software, the best sampling cards, video controllers, midi throughput and the computer equivalent of the largest mixing desk known to man. Joygasm.

But, now the software is much easier to use, does that mean that anyone can do it, no, it doesn't, not by any stretch of the imagination, without raw musical talent all you would get is noise.

do any of you know farangs that are working as DJ's???

Yep I know many DJs here but only a couple do it as their primary source of income. The truth is that most of the foreign DJs in Bangkok either plain failed in the West or they are has-beens.

Whenever they sing the praises of such and such a DJ and expect me to enthuse about his "talent", I tell them I come from an era where the DJ was simply a bloke playing records and that beat-matching is not a skill that is in particularly short supply. Of course, there are DJs who are extremely capable producers and artistes in their own right but for every one of those there are literally hundreds of thousands without an iota of talent. DJ culture really took off with the advent of house music with guys like Larry Levan, Frankie Knuckles, Marshall Jefferson and Tony Humphries at the vanguard but it was always about the music for them, not the groupies and the fame.

I think the reason the DJ has become such a huge phenomenon is that dance music doesn't really have any instantly recognizable superstar artists in the same way as genres like hip-hop, RnB or rock do. Frankly, most contemporary dance music is utter <deleted> made by talentless bedroom-producers with a bit of software who think a loud sample of a foghorn over a 4/4 beat compressed to hell and back can make up for the absence of melody and innovation. Volume over substance if you will.

I think with real DJ's, there is more to it than just button pressing. However there are a lot of DJs out there who are button pressers. @Samsiam you are quite clearly hanging out with the wrong DJ's. I suggest you stop watching the sad gimp button pressers and go and find a real DJ. ;)

But on a serious note, I think those who watch are just curious and interested as to how it's done. No big deal. If they're having fun watching the gimp button presser, why do you have to piss on their parade and be grumpy about it? :P

Great clip Thad,

Cheers mate, I picked the short one in a hurry though, the longer one is better.

Like yourself, I did the twin deck DJ thing many years ago, simple times back then, as I am sure you will admit, all that was required was a couple of floor fillers and a big smile (the only track I flatly refused to play was Whip It by Devo).... a few years later when I was working for Apple, I had this god almighty 'puter system that had non destructive sound editing software, the best sampling cards, video controllers, midi throughput and the computer equivalent of the largest mixing desk known to man. Joygasm.

But, now the software is much easier to use, does that mean that anyone can do it, no, it doesn't, not by any stretch of the imagination, without raw musical talent all you would get is noise.

And sex from clueless bimbos who can't tell the difference between music and noise!

I think the reason the DJ has become such a huge phenomenon is that dance music doesn't really have any instantly recognizable superstar artists in the same way as genres like hip-hop, RnB or rock do. Frankly, most contemporary dance music is utter <deleted> made by talentless bedroom-producers with a bit of software who think a loud sample of a foghorn over a 4/4 beat compressed to hell and back can make up for the absence of melody and innovation. Volume over substance if you will.

What is contemporary dance music?

Take for example epic trance such as made by Armin Van Buuren, Above & Beyond and others.

Plenty of melody and innovation there.

Lots of volume to though. Somehow it don't sound right without volume up to the maxsmile.png

What is contemporary dance music?

Take for example epic trance such as made by Armin Van Buuren, Above & Beyond and others.

Plenty of melody and innovation there.

Lots of volume to though. Somehow it don't sound right without volume up to the maxsmile.png

I'm a house music purist. Stuff played by Louie Vega, Kenny Dope Gonzalez, Sandy Rivera, Ron Carroll, Mark Farina, Danny Krivit, Francois K and others is timeless.

I accept others like trance but, to me, it's an abomination. It's cheesy, formulaic, by the numbers drivel.

• Like 1

^

Fair enough.

I enjoy all sorts of music but most of the time wouldn’t know (or care) how it’s labeled.

Scrolling through my favorite radio station there’s Deep House, Tribal House, Progressive House, Minimal House, Electro House, Tech House , Funky House, Trance, Epic Trance, Vocal Trance, DnB, Dubstep and what have you...

Except for Dubstep (which sounds out of tune to me) I can appreciate most of it though.