Dj'S...Cool Or What.

samsiam

Some of you guys seem like you would be really interested in a recent blogpost by deadmau5, summed up wonderfully on CDM:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/deadmau5-honest-about-his-own-press-play-sets-misses-out-on-scene/

"I think given about 1 hour of instruction, anyone with minimal knowledge of ableton and music tech in general could DO what im doing at a deadmau5 concert."

"i just roll up with a laptop and a midi controller and “select” tracks n hit a spacebar. ableton syncs the shit up for me… so no beatmatching skill required. "

In a way he's right because if you're gonna play only your own tracks for an audience that comes specifically to see you then it don't really matter and you might as well let the computer sort out the sequence etc.

Bit different from being a DJ in a club where you play a variety of different artists and proper mixing is the glue that keeps the vibe going.

Edited by meom

do any of you know farangs that are working as DJ's???

Yep I know many DJs here but only a couple do it as their primary source of income. The truth is that most of the foreign DJs in Bangkok either plain failed in the West or they are has-beens.

Whenever they sing the praises of such and such a DJ and expect me to enthuse about his "talent", I tell them I come from an era where the DJ was simply a bloke playing records and that beat-matching is not a skill that is in particularly short supply. Of course, there are DJs who are extremely capable producers and artistes in their own right but for every one of those there are literally hundreds of thousands without an iota of talent. DJ culture really took off with the advent of house music with guys like Larry Levan, Frankie Knuckles, Marshall Jefferson and Tony Humphries at the vanguard but it was always about the music for them, not the groupies and the fame.

I think the reason the DJ has become such a huge phenomenon is that dance music doesn't really have any instantly recognizable superstar artists in the same way as genres like hip-hop, RnB or rock do. Frankly, most contemporary dance music is utter <deleted> made by talentless bedroom-producers with a bit of software who think a loud sample of a foghorn over a 4/4 beat compressed to hell and back can make up for the absence of melody and innovation. Volume over substance if you will.

Ahh Frankie Knuckles at Indulge in Brixton....back in the day.....thanks for that memory. :)