Secure Account Facebook

Valentine

When opening FB this morning I was greeted with a message "Secure your account" which stated I have something called Adware that supposedly show spammy ads not approved by FB. Interestingly the only way to secure the account is to download & run McAfee Scan & Repair at no charge. I did a search for Adware & it showed up in Spybot Search & Destroy which I thought was a reputable programme. I use MSE as my anti virus programme & occasionally run Malwarebytes & have run Spybot rarely as it has solved problems not picked up by the other two.

Anyone else see this on FB & if so any advice? So far I have not run McAfee or deleted Spybot but may have to do one or the other to access FB.

its a SCAM,facebook doesn't send out stuff like than,don't download & run McAfee. log off of facebook,wait about one hour log back on,see if you get the same message

if same message report it to facebook

No change after 3 hours. I have changed the password. FB help centre does not list anything like this nor can I find an email address. In the help you can run through a list of possibilities (none of which truly relate to what I am seeing) but in the end they just say thanks for the feedback. I will run a full virus scan & see if it picks up anything.

i've seen google politely notify that a computer behind my DSL is infected with malware, so I wouldn't be too supprised if facebook also is REALLY notifying you that some fishy ad-jacking is going on (they want your $$$ afterall)

however, as happynthailand says, be careful for scams...

i personally use chrome which is the most secure browser, and MSE for antivirus, and free Comodo firewall for a good firewall.

i've seen google politely notify that a computer behind my DSL is infected with malware, so I wouldn't be too supprised if facebook also is REALLY notifying you that some fishy ad-jacking is going on (they want your $$$ afterall)

however, as happynthailand says, be careful for scams...

i personally use chrome which is the most secure browser, and MSE for antivirus, and free Comodo firewall for a good firewall.

I tried FB using Chrome & it works fine. The same phishing? message keeps popping up when I try it with Firefox.

i would say it does sound like facebook is really telling you you have some adware installed in firefox. Most likely you installed something bad that sneakly installed their adware extensions. If you install crap like "magic mouse pointers!" or other blah, the adware may NOT be sneakly installed (it can be specified in the EULA of free crap)

Facebook wants your money, so they certainly don't like it if someone is redirecting their ad revenue.

If you didn't install crapware, Honestly I would be suspicious of what else may be installed on your computer at this point, and I personally would format and reinstall. People don't hack computers for fun anymore, it's a business so if they have their hooks in you the'll do what they can to maximize revenue.