CAT Telecom To Dismantle Its Entire CDMA EV-DO Network

webfact

Phuket Live Wire: Scratch that, CAT is back

Phuket Gazette

lw1.jpeg

GOODBYE AIRCARD: Dongle the CAT says farewell to her predecessor EV-DO. Photo: Peasap

PHUKET: -- Three weeks ago, I lamented the imminent passing of CAT’s EV-DO service – the original high speed wireless "AirCard" that ushered in a new, faster way of surfing the web without getting plugged in.

At the time, I was told that EV-DO would continue to work through the end of the year. Today, I found out differently. CAT’s going to dismantle its entire EV-DO network, at least in Phuket, by August 31. The end is near.

If you currently have CAT EV-DO, you need to figure out what you’re going to do with that soon-to-be-useless USB dongle, and how to move on to the next version of wireless internet.

Fortunately, there’s a good alternative. CAT. No, really. Even while they’re pulling up their old service, they’re rolling out a new one, called My Click. I can’t say much for the branding, but the service itself is compelling.

Keep in mind that CAT is using the TrueMove-H network. (I guess, officially, TrueMove-H is using the CAT network, but that’s kind of a political hot potato at the moment.) That means CAT has a well-established, functioning HSPA+ network, here in Phuket – available at a very good price.

I had a chance to talk about the service at length with the folks at the CAT office in Central Festival (opposite the Apple store), and I was amazed at what they told me.

First, coverage. The CAT HSPA+ network hits just about everywhere in Phuket, up to Khao Lak, over to Krabi town, Koh Lanta, Ao Nang, and Phang Nga town, with other locations coming on quickly.

That matches my experience. I was astounded to find a 3G signal (from TrueMove-H) north of Khao Lak several months ago, at the ferry terminal for Koh Kao Khao. Believe me, that’s off the beaten track by a kilometer or two. CAT’s rolling the equipment out everywhere.

If you live in a spot in Phuket that may be iffy, all you have to do is leave your address with the folks at the CAT counter in Central. They’ll check your actual location and let you know if the signal is strong enough to reach. They have people who go out and check every weekday.

CAT has a Google map of coverage areas at mybycat.com.

Note that you don’t need to have a laptop or tablet computer to take advantage of wireless broadband: you can stick a dongle on any USB port on your desktop computer, too.

You may find the reception’s better if you have a USB extension cord, and can twist the dongle around a bit. And, yes, USB dongles work on Macs, too (although you need the "3G" version of an iPad to get the CAT service – a WiFi-only iPad cannot connect).

It gets better. If you go to Bangkok, or travel through much of central Thailand, you can use your CAT dongle (or CAT SIM card in your phone or tablet) to get on their HSPA+ network everywhere that TrueMove-H has coverage – which includes almost all of the urban areas in Thailand. The trick: you have to choose roaming with TrueMove.

Although you’re theoretically roaming, there’s no roaming charge – something about an agreement that TrueMove has with CAT.

If you do have an EV-DO "AirCard," there isn’t much you can do with it. You have to buy a new USB dongle.

At this moment, CAT’s run out of dongles, but they’re readily available at JIB and Banana IT for about 1,300 baht. Almost all dongles these days will work with the CAT network, but if you have any questions, be sure to look for HSPA coverage at 850 MHz. That’s the magic combination.

Once you have a USB dongle for your computer, or a new SIM card for your phone or iPad (cost: 99 baht), you have to sign up for one of CAT’s service plans. The best deal, by far, is their "unlimited" plan which gives you up to 4 GB of data per month – enough for almost everybody except those who upload or download lots of videos, or run torrents for movies or TV shows.

After you hit 4 GB of usage, the line gets cut down to a much slower speed, until the month’s up and you go back to sailing.

The speed reporting site at phuketinternetspeed.com shows download speeds between 600 Kbps and 1,400 Kbps – which is comparable to many wired connections on the island.

I’ve tested the TrueMove-H connection in Patong, Sam Kong, Sai Yuan, and inside Central Festival, and consistently see speeds of 450 to 650 Kbps. That’s downright decent for a wireless connection, although the CAT EV-DO service has been running around 850 to 900 Kbps. Much depends on your line-of-site proximity to a CAT tower.

CAT’s "My Click 590" package is 590 baht per month, which is quite a bargain, even by international standards. No wonder they’re selling a ton of them. They’re competing directly with TrueMove-H, which offers precisely the same service for 799 baht per month.

If you’re Thai, take your ID card to CAT and they’ll sign you up. If you have a work permit, take a copy of your passport or work permit to the CAT office. (You might want to take your computer, too.)

If you don’t have a work permit, you have two options: convince a friend with a Thai ID card to go along with you – realizing that they’re on the hook, financially, if you don’t pay your bill; or, get a prepaid card.

The prepaid service is quite reasonable. The last time I checked it was 399 baht for 15 days "unlimited" which is, in fact, throttled after you hit 4GB of data traffic.

The 800 pound gorilla sitting in the CAT office is the long-anticipated auction of new "3G" spectrum, which may or may not happen this year.

If the government finally gets its act together long enough to attract bidders and allow them to start building out their systems, we may be treated to some much faster wireless internet speeds. Some day. Maybe.

In the interim, right now, you can get decent wireless access for about 1,300 baht plus 590 baht per month. Even if you switch in six months (or a year, or two, or three) that’s a good deal.

Woody's Sandwich Shoppes hold computer sessions under the tutelage of Seth Bareiss every other Wednesday afternoon, from 1 to 3pm. If you have a Windows problem that needs to be solved, drop by one of Seth’s free afternoon sessions. Details in the Phuket Gazette Events Calendar.

Live Wire is Woody Leonhard’s weekly snapshot of all things internet in Phuket.

Follow him on Twitter: @PhuketLiveWire, and "like" the pages at facebook.com/SandwichShoppe and facebook.com/phuketgazette.net.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16386.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-10

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to get excited by myclick.

This whole thing is a downgrade for those of us who have no option by to use cat CDMA as a primary internet connection. Being throttled to 384 takes me back to 2007 when I had to rely on my satellite connection. I am resigned to traveling back in time by 5 years

Totster :D

• Like 1

Not happy for the change.

CDMA equipment requires AC cooling, more UPS power etc which cause more maintenance and running costs.

New 3G/HSPA equipment is cooled with fans only. If rest of the network elements can be fan cooled, that will decrease both maintenance and electricity costs. Not sure if the rest of the network devices can be fan cooled only.

There was also some unexpected service breaks due AC..

http://aopor.com/news/thieves-disturb-cat-cdma-network

I was told by CAT that the CDMA service would continue to be available here in the NorthEast (Isaan) area through the end of the year. But I was buying the 15 day unlimited cards for 399 baht and no one in this area sells them any longer. Fortunately, we were successful in getting enough people in our area to commit to a TOT internet service. TOT has come out and set up the signal receiver/transmitter on our local TOT tower, and then they went to each location in the village and installed a small white box receiver on each house to enable a line-of-sight connection with the tower. I'm very happy with the service. It is twice as fast as what I was getting with CAT CDMA, averaging in the 7Mbs range. The service is unlimited kb - upload and download, unlimited time, and is available 24/7 and even works well when it is raining since no dish is involved.

Initially, they had some downtime while they were getting the tower fine tuned, but I have a TP-Link wireless router in the house and all my computers, tablet, and phones connect without issue. First two months is 390 baht, then 590 baht each month there after.

You need to get at least 10 people in your area to commit to the service before TOT will come out and set it up.

Hope this helps those searching for a connection

I had my CAT CDMA card checked about 3 weeks ago in a CAT shop, Sakon Nakhon, Isaan. The staff made no mention of termination of CDMA network, rather they pointed out I live in a good reception area between two nearby towers. If anything, speeds have increased (except during peak demand hours) I have a contract and make monthly payments on invoice. I wonder what's round the corner though?

Been using CDMA for the last 2 years here in Krabi without many problems. Called CAT Krabi and they didn't know anything about the service being cancelled. What will happen to us monthly subscribers ? I pay 845 baht/month for CAT CDMA so if their dongle doesn't work anymore in the nearby future they have to give us something else..... we are paying monthly for a internet connection, aren't we ?

they have to give us something else..... we are paying monthly for a internet connection, aren't we ?

I'd like to think so but fear they will not. Before 3BB pulled the cables from our village I got one month's notice of termination of service. Can't see CAT being any different. Edited by Jezz

they have to give us something else..... we are paying monthly for a internet connection, aren't we ?

I'd like to think so but fear they will not. Before 3BB pulled the cables from our village I got one month's notice of termination of service. Can't see CAT being any different.

Sorry, a little off topic..

Why did 3BB pull the cables from your village ?

totster :D

Why did 3BB pull the cables from your village ?

That was when they used T T & T lines nearly 2 years ago. They sent a team of 4 people personally to advise 3 village subscribers that 3BB were ending their arrangement with T T & T. A rebate was offered but never forthcoming.

No doubt 3BB had good reason to withhold the rebate: to cover the cost of 4 salaries and vehicle expenses after dispatching the team 100's of kilometres to convey the news to just 3 households in jungle land!

But to get back on topic, will CAT do the same? Or will there be a FREE upgrade to 3G?

I was told by CAT that the CDMA service would continue to be available here in the NorthEast (Isaan) area through the end of the year. But I was buying the 15 day unlimited cards for 399 baht and no one in this area sells them any longer. Fortunately, we were successful in getting enough people in our area to commit to a TOT internet service. TOT has come out and set up the signal receiver/transmitter on our local TOT tower, and then they went to each location in the village and installed a small white box receiver on each house to enable a line-of-sight connection with the tower. I'm very happy with the service. It is twice as fast as what I was getting with CAT CDMA, averaging in the 7Mbs range. The service is unlimited kb - upload and download, unlimited time, and is available 24/7 and even works well when it is raining since no dish is involved.

Initially, they had some downtime while they were getting the tower fine tuned, but I have a TP-Link wireless router in the house and all my computers, tablet, and phones connect without issue. First two months is 390 baht, then 590 baht each month there after.

You need to get at least 10 people in your area to commit to the service before TOT will come out and set it up.

This is the TOT Wi-NET service, essentially PTP WiFi. Many who have this have reported very positive experiences. Not sure how scalable it ultimately is however.

http://www.huahincenter.com/view_news.php?id_view=107

No doubt 3BB had good reason to withhold the rebate: to cover the cost of 4 salaries and vehicle expenses after dispatching the team 100's of kilometres to convey the news to just 3 households in jungle land!

But to get back on topic, will CAT do the same? Or will there be a FREE upgrade to 3G?

I was told by my Cat office that I have to buy a new dongle and they will give me a free simcard this is a promotion for old custemers they told me

A free SIM card.

The Mifi i have was 10,000 when i bought it the first time, 8000 when burglars stole it and had to replace 6 months ago, and now obsolete.

I have to admit being less than 1k from a mast, it was perfect for almost 4 years, VERY stable so money well spent.

I only hope 3g can keep up.

Hopefully not too far off topic...wink.png

I have a BB Tour 9630. I have learned that the phone is Primarily a CDMA phone.; although it operates as follows:

GSM 900 / 1800

CDMA 850 / 1900 / 2100

I understand the DTAC has 3G service on 850 freq.

Well I guess my REAL question is, As the phone operates as CDMA Am I screwed as CDMA is being shut down.. I have been unsuccesful in maintaining a network connection with either AISI or DTAC, So is this the root problem, that I am on a CDMA phone.

Thanks

Garvin

Another option is to use one of the local brand Android phones that offer hsdpa on 850mhz (Wellcom/Immobile). Generally 3g is on 2100mhz apart from some parts of the world that use odd frequencies. Blackberry's also support 3g on 850mhz. Android has a wifi hotspot feature where you can use the phone as a wifi router for up to 4 devices.

Hopefully not too far off topic...wink.png

I have a BB Tour 9630. I have learned that the phone is Primarily a CDMA phone.; although it operates as follows:

GSM 900 / 1800

CDMA 850 / 1900 / 2100

I understand the DTAC has 3G service on 850 freq.

Well I guess my REAL question is, As the phone operates as CDMA Am I screwed as CDMA is being shut down.. I have been unsuccesful in maintaining a network connection with either AISI or DTAC, So is this the root problem, that I am on a CDMA phone.

Thanks

Garvin

Not quite screwed... Your phone should work on almost any network (as a phone) and will at least work on EDGE (as a Blackberry). Forget about CDMA though.

I have a similar phone - 9530 - and it's working on DTAC with EDGE. Not sure why yours doesn't, other than maybe you not having coverage in your area. Maybe try CAT My or Truemove-H (again, for EDGE only) since if it's working on CDMA now, then you must be in range of a CAT tower...

• Like 1

3G Network HSDPA 2100

If this is accurate then you could get 3G from TOT or one of their MVNOs.

And if/when the 3G auction concludes some existing 850 and 900 MHz 3G would, in theory, get re-farmed to 2100 MHz.

But who knows with these BB devices? I think you need a specialized data plan?

Thanks lomatopo and bobl.

I do have a Blackberry Data plan, DTAC Happy..I am having "Issues" with the phone and I am trying to work my way through and get to a solution.

It worked for the first 3 to 4 days fine, then DTAC advised they were having a problem with their Blackberry Server and I lost Blackberry service. And it has not been right since.. This is going on 3 weeks. I will say DTAC was good enough to re activate my BB Happy plan for free / no charge as I was not recieving the service I had paid for. So good for them.

But there are a mirad of other issues with this device that are not making sense. Example, My brother in laws Blackberry 9300 works fine using My DTAC SIM and sitting beside me in my living room. or, my DTAC SIM works for phone calls and SMS, but my AIS SIM does not work for phone or SMS calls -- while at my house, in the City (Bangkok) the AIS SIM works normal. (Have not tried Data service on AIS).

It is an "abnormal" phone because this model BB was not sold in Thailand; it is primarily a CDMA phone per what i can glean from the tech forums.. This results in Local Tech's and service centers do not have experience with this model.. it "Ain't in theri playbook" so to speak..

I am taking it in to DTAC Tuesday and have the service Tech check it out.. incase there is a hardware fault / damged circuit et al.. and so he can diaignose the settings. Hopefully we will get a solution. or One step closer. And Yes, the phone is fully unlocked.. from the beginning, it was purchased unlocked.

One thing I heard from an associate who owns a Blackberry; he said that a Blackberry device purchased from say, AIS would not work on DTAC SIM and vice vs.... Anyone have any experience to confirm this?

Thanks for the thoughts.

GB

A quick question;

Is there a table that shows what systems .. the providers here are operating :

3G / 2G / HSPDA /EDGE / 1XEV / UMTS / GSM / 800 / 850 / 900/ 1800 / 1900/ 2100 ?

or am I scrambling Apples and duck eggs?

Thanks

GB

Edited by garvin123g

They've rewritten the laws of physics then?

Ummm, no. They've simply set up the system in such a way that the signal degradation due to "rain fade" does not render it inoperable. Don't confuse it with the rain fade problems of Ku band satellite reception, which is an entirely "same but different" problem (much higher frequencies, and much longer distances).

However, I would be prepared to bet that if one is on the fringes of the coverage area, rain fade would be an issue.

Ummm, no. They've simply set up the system in such a way that the signal degradation due to "rain fade" does not render it inoperable. Don't confuse it with the rain fade problems of Ku band satellite reception, which is an entirely "same but different" problem (much higher frequencies, and much longer distances).

However, I would be prepared to bet that if one is on the fringes of the coverage area, rain fade would be an issue.

No dish is involved!

No dish is involved!

I'm failing to see the relevance... All a dish does is focus the signal on the antenna (in a satellite system, the LNB contains the antenna) in exactly the same way a magnifying glass can focus light onto a spot.

If the signal is strong enough not to need a dish, they're probably using a simple directional antenna on the CPE (Customer Premises Equipment - the "white box" mentioned by the gp).

No dish is involved!

I'm failing to see the relevance... All a dish does is focus the signal on the antenna (in a satellite system, the LNB contains the antenna) in exactly the same way a magnifying glass can focus light onto a spot.

If the signal is strong enough not to need a dish, they're probably using a simple directional antenna on the CPE (Customer Premises Equipment - the "white box" mentioned by the gp).

As this system is probably working in the 5GHz band what would a "directional antenna" look like?