Over 60 British Volunteers To Teach English To Thai Students

Over 60 British volunteers to teach English to Thai students

image_20120711151941751F4957-D674-97A5-36069FEDE1F084C6.jpg

BANGKOK, July 11 -- Sixty-seven volunteer students from leading universities in the United Kingdom will teach English to Thai students nationwide later this month, as Thailand’s Ministry of Education has targeted that 80 per cent of the students will be to successfully communicate in English.

Permanent Secretary for Education Sasithara Pichaichannarong together with British Ambassador to Thailand Asif Ahmad and British Council Thailand's Country Director Chris Gibson on Wednesday announced the Thailand English Teaching Project 2012 (TET) on purpose to improve English skills for young Thai learners in 100 schools countrywide.

The cooperation between Thai Education Ministry, the British Embassy and the British Council, from July 23 through the end of September, is being done in the hope that Thai students with better English skills will be competitive in regional and international communities.

The eight-week classes will be run by the 67 volunteer students from renowned British universities under the topic of the upcoming London 2012 Olympic Games, hosted by the city of London.

Ms Sasithara said that the ministry targeted that 80 per cent of the Thai students from both private and state schools will be able to speak English fluently in the near future.

Initially, 100 schools country were selected to join the pilot project, the permanent secretary for education explained. If the project is successful and well received, more joint projects will be held next year.

Meanwhile, the British envoy said that English is the international language which was introduced as core curriculum in the ten-nation Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

Not only will it benefit the two nations and help strengthen bilateral ties, the project will give opportunities for Britons to work outside the kingdoms and explore Thai culture as well as connect Thailand to the global community, the ambassador said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-11

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is certainly a need for more native English speakers, particularly in local schools but only 8 weeks ?? As said there are plenty of retired foreigners here who would be happy to assist (for free) with pronunciation etc. if not for work permit issues.

However 8 weeks should be enough for fruent engrish (sic) .

• Like 2

It's a fantastic gesture. If the teachers inspire the children, it could stimulate them to open their minds, want to learn more. Even though 8 weeks is a short duration, the impact could be longer lasting for the children.

Quote "Thailand’s Ministry of Education has targeted that 80 per cent of the students will be to successfully communicate in English."

The introduction to the article isn't even correct English.

There is no hope until some smart politician creates the 'Thailand Hub of English Learning'.

• Like 2

Even though students will get the benefit of what appears to be excellent quality instruction from England for only 8 weeks, the lasting impact could change their lives and inspire them to learn and grow.

• Like 1

Apologies for posting 3x on this subject, but the posts I had written remained in "connection" status and so I just closed the page and wrote another post---so I have said the same thing essentially 3 times. I have had problems posting on Thai Visa before...!! Maybe it's the WiFi connection I use

67 Britons are really going to be able to accomplish alot in 8 weeks!

also quote: Initially, 100 schools country were selected to join the pilot project, the permanent secretary for education explained.

Writer needs some help his/herself.

There are so many retired expats who could do this for a few hours a week for years not months.

Oh, I forgot the work permit issues beatdeadhorse.gif

Yes, but rightly or wrongly they don't seem to want unqualified retirees. There is nothing to stop retirees doing the TEFL qualification that is available in Thailand and applying for part time jobs as teachers, assuming they already have bachelor degrees.

• Like 1

Without wishing to appear too cynical 67 volunteer students from UK universities are to spend 8 weeks in Thailand presumably fully funded by either the Thai or the UK government. Where I come from that's called a cheap holiday. Any room for one more volunteer?

There are so many retired expats who could do this for a few hours a week for years not months.

Oh, I forgot the work permit issues beatdeadhorse.gif

Yes, but rightly or wrongly they don't seem to want unqualified retirees. There is nothing to stop retirees doing the TEFL qualification that is available in Thailand and applying for part time jobs as teachers, assuming they already have bachelor degrees.

Instead they're happy with unqualified students.

• Like 1

"80% of students to speak English fluently in the near future." That is a fantasy. It would be more realistic to set a target to have, say, 20% of the English teachers able to speak English fluently within 10 years and the other 80% to be at least able to pronounce it reasonably well without confusing "r"s and "l"s and "ch" and "sh" etc and communicate without making literal translations from Thai. English teachers I have met at Thai state schools are very earnest try hard but most have not been taught well themselves and it is hard to understand their English. It is much easier to speak with them in Thai. So how can they teach English to kids?

Edited by Arkady

How would the British feel about 80 Issan men working for free in the construction trade in England.

I'm sure the local union would give a grand welcoming to those who offer their services for free.

Maybe send some doctors to England. Oh wait they don't meet local standards. But hey, if they do it for free

we could give them waivers.

As a English teacher here, I not exactly thrilled with ex-pats giving it away. I rather they get themselves

qualified and be paid for their services.

• Like 1

Another PR stunts. And why during the Olympics. Kids wanna see their favorite athletes instead I'd "studying"... And what is 8 weeks??? That's nothing...

[ Ms Sasithara said that the ministry targeted that 80 per cent of the Thai students from both private and state schools will be able to speak English fluently in the near future.]

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif And pigs will flylaugh.png

• Like 2

How would the British feel about 80 Issan men working for free in the construction trade in England.

That should read 'How would the Polish feel about 80 Isaan men working for free in the construction trade in England'. rolleyes.gif

(That was irony for those who don't recognise it).

Nice one. I get it.

Ms Sasithara said that the ministry targeted that 80 per cent of the Thai students from both private and state schools will be able to speak English fluently in the near future.

67 teacher for a few months - 66 million people - rediculous ...cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Whats the problem ? They will come for 2 months and party, drink, shag, and in the end go home with fond memories of their exotic trip to thailand. But nothings going to change in the school system. I personally see the death of english teaching for native speakers here within 5 years anyway, they have tried every trick in the book and the admin and students just dont care about education, thats why most schools now will hire non native speakers and young people on holiday at half the price of a native speaker. They know its all a waste of time and the amount of money this new gov is spending they wont be able to sustain english programs in the long term.

• Like 2

"...80 per cent of the Thai students from both private and state schools will be able to speak English fluently in the near future."

cheesy.gif

And how many of those naïve young people will make it back home without having been scammed, beaten, robbed, raped or murdered, I wonder.

• Like 2

"Yes, but rightly or wrongly they don't seem to want unqualified retirees. There is nothing to stop retirees doing the TEFL qualification that is available in Thailand and applying for part time jobs as teachers, assuming they already have bachelor degrees."

What makes a British student more qualified than a British retiree?

Pretty sure the students don't "already have bachelor degrees".

Also pretty sure that many retirees do have them.

Terry

Another PR stunts. And why during the Olympics. Kids wanna see their favorite athletes instead I'd "studying"... And what is 8 weeks??? That's nothing...

Well, that's what the British came up with. Perhaps they could only spare 8 weeks because of all the money they're spending on the Olympics.

What a shock these so called Volunteers are in for if they have no experience teaching in Thailand, Ask those who have been doing it for some years, What a Stunt by the UK ambassador, It's only 8 weeks so just enough time before the novelty wears off.

Edited by KKvampire