The Solution To The Littering Problem By Rawai Municipality

pistachios

They finally got a clue and decided to put garbage bins every 50 meters around the beach front and Nai Harn lake.

Designer bins have been chosen, they will integrate nicely to the beauty of the surroundings.

trash-can-prussian-small.jpg

They will be emptied twice a day. Let's hope it will be the end of the littering nightmare Nai Harn is facing!

I also heard that they will fix next month the gaping hole of Rawai beach front. smile.png

Did someone believe me for a few seconds?

Here is the real answer :

http://www.phuketgaz...rticle1318.html

- we didn't know there was a problem

- we don't give a shit about it

- there are already some bins somewhere nobody ever goes, that's enough

- our garbage disposal staff are lazy, they can't bother walking 20 meters to reach a bloody bin

- they are aslo mentally retarded, they can't dispose of a bin without spilling all of its content on the floor, so why bother, the dogs will pick it up anyway

Edited by pistachios

- our garbage disposal staff are lazy, they can't bother walking 20 meters to reach a bloody bin

- they are aslo mentally retarded, they can't dispose of a bin without spilling all of its content on the floor, so why bother, the dogs will pick it up anyway

How long have you lived here now?? People dump construction debris along the roads and have been doing so for years! Storm drains were built few years back on the high side of the road and people run a sewer pipe to them. Don't get me started with their concept of "infrastructure." Just look at the power poles around here...

I think placing bins is a good first step.

How many times have you had trash to throw away and simply couldn't find a place to throw it?

But, the problem must be tackled at different level also.

The Thai mind just doesn't seem to understand that it is wrong to litter.

I was at Sapan Hin the other day and some Thai kids about 8-10 years old sat down nearby and had lunch in styrofoam square boxes.

When they were finished, they just got up and left. And left the empty boxes on the table.

I think they don't understand that it's wrong.

If no one ever told them, and so many do it, how would they know?

Their parents seem to just roll the window down and toss garbage out while driving.

I teach my kid and his school (Montessori) definitely not only teaches them to no litter, but also to recycle and reuse things.

Thai schools also need to teach this IMO.

Don't blame it on lazy garbage truck drivers. I think they do a find job and a very unpleasant one at that.

i'm betting on these too

'- we didn't know there was a problem

- we don't give a shit about it'

thais just don't care about shit on the side of the road, there must be something in their brains that just filters it out. just yesterday i saw a kid, maybe 3 year old, throw her candy wrapper off the back of here dads motorcycle, they are never taught that that's a bad thing.

Edited by stevehaigh

meh just look at mad men's first or second season. They showed the main guy with his family going to a park for a picnic. When it was over they took the carpet and threw everything that was on it(trash) on the grass then just left. They usually keep everything accurate so 40-50years ago it was like this for farangs too.

So give it a few more hundred years for thais

meh just look at mad men's first or second season. They showed the main guy with his family going to a park for a picnic. When it was over they took the carpet and threw everything that was on it(trash) on the grass then just left. They usually keep everything accurate so 40-50years ago it was like this for farangs too.

I think if you give it a 100 years you will be neck deep in crap here.

You can always tell it is Sunday ( Thai picnic day) at Nai Harn by the amount of rubbish that is left lying around.

How long have you lived here now?? People dump construction debris along the roads and have been doing so for years! Storm drains were built few years back on the high side of the road and people run a sewer pipe to them. Don't get me started with their concept of "infrastructure." Just look at the power poles around here...

I don't expect the municipality to handle complicated issues like the ones your are mentionning but come on, is it that difficult to put a few bins here and there and pay a dude to pick up the bags once a day? Apparently, yes.

After the bombs in Hatyai in 2003 and 2006 they removed a lot of garbage bins in Phuket from both beaches and shopping center entrances so to not give the Southern insurgents pretext to drop bombs near a lot of people. I thought they still kept up that policy, but have to agree with the OP, the bins are needed for their intended use.

I saw that episode. And I've noticed signs, mostly handwritten, in Thai popping up everywhere around the sois of Sai Yuan sayin 'haam ting kya' 'don't dump your trash here'. Actually spotted a Thai guy stop his motorbike and pick a couple of plastic bags from the roadside and put in his basket to dispatch at nearest bin w00t.gif

Doesn't stop the odd dumpings of a variety of household/builders trash everywhere there isn't one (sign) though. But things do seem to be slowly improving. Agree, education key.

Something has to be done at Nai Harn. Particularly 'lagoon' end.

Edited by silsburyhill

i'm betting on these too

'- we didn't know there was a problem

- we don't give a shit about it'

thais just don't care about shit on the side of the road, there must be something in their brains that just filters it out. just yesterday i saw a kid, maybe 3 year old, throw her candy wrapper off the back of here dads motorcycle, they are never taught that that's a bad thing.

IMO this is normal for some Thais, especially if they are from upcountry. Most houses are built on stilts of wood, and everything that doesn’t go in their mouths gets thrown on the floor. I asked them once why are they throwing everything on the floor, and their answer was "The chickens, dogs, and cats will eat it so it’s ok” I thought that was odd to say considered how much plastic wrappers and other sorts of shit was laying around.

Anyone ever see someone use a toilet scrubber to clean a kitchen sink or anything else for that matter? This is a trait I’ve seen in a lot of these individuals who like to throw candy wrappers on the street as well. bah.gif

When they were holding the elections for local govt the rubbish collection sites were kept clean in Rawai

Now the elections are over they are back to the same messy state as before

If people put there rubbish in sealed plastic bags as they are supposed this would help keep the area clean

Unfortunately some people do not and they are not Thai people

I don't agree.

Even if they put their rubbish in plastic bags, the bins that are usually provided aren't "dog-proof".

The strays take the bags and rip them to pieces looking for food, scattering the rubbish over a wide area in the process.

I had constructed a dog-proof cage that I can put all my rubbish in, at home. No strewn around rubbish anymore.

If the Thais dont want to do the rubbish removal then give the work to the Burmese. 10 people times 200 baht = 2000 baht per beach every day.....that isnt much money. Im sure the Burmese would happily moonlight for the extra cash. Maybe even get a few desperate falangs who would work for a couple of hundred baht

I don't agree.

Even if they put their rubbish in plastic bags, the bins that are usually provided aren't "dog-proof".

The strays take the bags and rip them to pieces looking for food, scattering the rubbish over a wide area in the process.

I had constructed a dog-proof cage that I can put all my rubbish in, at home. No strewn around rubbish anymore.

The rubbish cages near us in Rawai are elevated of the ground and they drop a side gate to remove the rubbish

Dogs cannot get into them to spread the rubbish around,

I don't agree.

The rubbish cages near us in Rawai are elevated of the ground and they drop a side gate to remove the rubbish

What rubbish cages? No garbage pickup at pour house, no rubbish cages, only option is to put our garbage at the side of the road. So yes, dogs will tear the bags open, but what else to do? Suggestions welcome BTW.

Why don't you try picking some of it up?

Organize a local cleanup day and have the local paper give it some coverage. Photos of farangs doing a job the Thais won't will cause immense loss of face and instant action. My friend did this at the air force beach in auow manou in prachuap and now they police the beach every day and it is spotless

Organize a local cleanup day and have the local paper give it some coverage. Photos of farangs doing a job the Thais won't will cause immense loss of face and instant action. My friend did this at the air force beach in auow manou in prachuap and now they police the beach every day and it is spotless

I always pick up after myself and generally pick up a few extra pieces of rubbish....also do it when Im diving......there was some Italian bloke that got pinched for having no work permit at Kamala for cleaning out a public toilet a couple of years ago wasnt there?

I know Kontiki Diving organise annual beach clean up days

I don't agree.

What rubbish cages? No garbage pickup at pour house, no rubbish cages, only option is to put our garbage at the side of the road. So yes, dogs will tear the bags open, but what else to do? Suggestions welcome BTW.

Make one yourself, or, get one made. Amazing how clean the street becomes when the dogs can't get to the rubbish.

If you are not being served by the rubbish truck, you need to go to the Or Bor Tor, pay your 300 Bt per annum and tell them your address. They will then stick you on their route.

I don't agree.

Make one yourself, or, get one made. Amazing how clean the street becomes when the dogs can't get to the rubbish.

If you are not being served by the rubbish truck, you need to go to the Or Bor Tor, pay your 300 Bt per annum and tell them your address. They will then stick you on their route.

No, we're too far of the main road, won't come there.

The only place for us to put up a rubbish bin would be where we drop the garbage now, a recognised rubbish point BTW, next to one of Rawai markets. It would have to be a big, very big one. Worth a try though, I might check with a welder friend of mine how much it would be to have a big one made and put it there.

I don't agree.

If i live in a small moobaan that only picks up garbage at the entry can i still opt in for that 300b? We paid for the trucks to come to each house but those ***** know that the big boss is never around is they save the money in their pocket. Right now my only way to fight this is leaving countless bags of garbage on the ground and letting the soi dogs eat through them hence trashing the streets

Edited by LivinginKata
insulting remark removed

I don't agree.

Something like this can work and note the ££££££££££££££££££££ in the UKpost-96114-0-51598200-1342248417_thumb.p

I don't agree.

You certainly have not looked around the area you live in

Instead of heading towards the main road go right at Soi Namjai, through a slight S bend

on your left hand side at the entrance to Moo 7 there are 6 mesh rubbish cages that are cleared usually on a regular basis

Edited by petercallen

I have paid the Burmese when they had a local camp 3 times to remove all the garden loppings, the camp no longer exists

You are not supposed to put garden loppings in the rubbish cages

My wife and her sister completely cleaned the bin site one day

The problem is when the rubbish guys are loading the rubbish into the truck if they break a bag they just leave the mess

Also the Burmese and Russians do not bag there rubbish properly and that spills everywhere when being loaded into the truck

Read post 25 Steven the rubbish cages have been there since before we shifted to Rawai

Read post 25 Steven the rubbish cages have been there since before we shifted to Rawai

I never head in that direction, really no point since there is nothing there except for some houses. But I'll go and check it out, if there is a better option than the present one I would certainly use that.