Suvarnabhumi Airport Customs Arrest Iranian National With 3.9 kgs Of 'ice'

webfact

From my limited knowledge of this drug it can easily be made at home - why is there smuggling for this when it can be made right here in Thailand.(?)

Guess you missed the part about pseudoephedrine being restricted now that was all over Thaivisa news recently.

It seems to me that it is far safer to smuggle controlled ingredients across land borders, ingredients which are not as serious a crime as meth is, bring the ingredients across land borders and do the cooking here in Thailand, than to bring the finished product through the airport. But I'm not a drug expert. I remember there was 200,000 tablets went missing from hospitals here a while ago, I think.

Meth is a horrible drug though it destroys the mind and body extremely quickly and has large social consequences too. Can not be treated lightly imo.

sick.gif

Edited by Yunla

Once again............ why not let him pass through. Follow him to the thai buyer and arrest everyone.

Why ?cause I suspect he is delivering to a bib, politician or a hi-so and we cant arrest them.

Easy as that eh? Do all international airports maintain teams of surveillance staff at the airport ready to follow anyone seen to have drugs?

They only heard about him being a courier not a seller after he was questioned.

Spot on! It's hard to set up a successful surveillance operation even with prior knowledge. Here, the customs officers stopped, searched and found the drugs - bit hard to then try and set up a covert surveillance - the Iranian might have realized !!

The Iranian authorities would have no qualms about executing this guy, particularly with his admission of many trips. Although life in a Thai prison may be a worse punishment!

• Like 1

The guys pathetic, head bowed, and now we see he is a rogaine candidate. Ice has ruined Hawaii for years now and in the USA it is in the rural ares now and spreading like cancer. A 30 year old heavy user atypically has the internal organs of a 75 year old normal man!

I bet the old guy has more teeth left too..

Edited by brianP

Its nice to observe that since the hardworking conscientious Khun Chalerm got to become Interior Minister that more and more of these drug people are being apprehended. I am sure that he will soon have Thailand drug free and then can turn his attention to the illegal gambling dens. After which I hope he will do something about those dreadful people turning up at the airport in flip flops and vests.

I hope they give the guy the ultimate punishment..............no use wasting space in the Bkk Hilton with folks like this

You are sentenced to watch "Maria Full Of Grace"! Now go and Google until you find it, watch it and came back to this forum with another comment after.

I am sure the customs and police are questioning the mule and will be pursuing leads regarding the destination of the drugs and expect him to reveal local dealers' names.

OTOH maybe not.

I am so tired of reading / hearing more that 3 times a week of either this Iranian man / woman, or Nigerian man / woman etc.. being arrested with Millions of Thai Baht worth of drugs... !! Give me a break ..! This is all BS to show that the Thai Officials are really cracking down on drugs in a decent way ... I mean c'mon ... are so many people so stupid to keep going through Suvarnabhumi with Such Huge Kilos of Drugs worth millions every 2nd or 3rd day ?? ... It's a farce !! And in any case as everything else you will never hear a word about this again from now on as for every other busted drug passenger at Suvarnabhumi... was he convicted...?? You'll never know ..?? What happened to the 14 million Baht worth of Ice ...?? you will never know ... !! ... It's all fiction to me and media forged propaganda to make the Thai Authorities look good...

Interesting angle. Are you suggesting the Customs guys are hiring actors to pose as "drug smugglers" and then after the photo op they are released? What's in the plastic bags? Pancake Mix?whistling.gif

When was the last time you heard of iranian, Kenyan drug mule sentenced to death for drug smuggling?

Duuno, but one of them has to be horse, and the other the donkey!

I'd go for the Kenyan half being the donkey! A well hung mule he will be too! giggle.gif

-mel.

Iranian arrested with Bt14 mln of ‘ice’ at Thai airport

image_201207121640447A8FDC8F-0C0B-08BA-745DB2BEE5EC9048.jpgimage_201207121640527A8FF98F-058B-0B32-9B4BA9FF29B1D25B.jpgimage_201207121641217A906BE0-9F18-B136-512718869FCA1CEC.jpg

BANGKOK, July 12 -- An Iranian man was detained at Thailand’s main international airport for allegedly smuggling crystal methamphetamine, known as 'ice,' valued at Bt14 million (some US$466,000), a Thai senior customs officer said on Thursday.

Rasoul Boroumand, a 34-year-old Iranian, was apprehended at Suvarnabhumi Airport Wednesday night with packaged crystal meth, weighing some 3,980 grammes, Rakop Srisupa-at, director of the Thai Customs Department Investigation and Suppression Bureau, told a news briefing Thursday.

Flying from the Iranian capital of Tehran to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates before reaching Thailand, the suspect behaved suspiciously while passing through the terminal.

Customs officers asked him to stop for a baggage check and found crystal meth in four plastic bags covered with dark blue carbon paper. The packages of the illegal drug were hidden in a briefcase inside his suitcase.

Mr Boroumand was charged with possessing and smuggling illicit drugs without permission and was transferred to the Narcotics Suppression Bureau for further investigation.

Apart from impounding the crystal meth, customs officers seized 2,777 methamphetamine pills with an estimated street value of Bt1 million ($33,300) found at Suvarnabhumi airport’s mail centre, June 13 through July 9. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-12

So he did not have permission?

Iranian arrested with Bt14 mln of ‘ice’ at Thai airport

image_201207121640447A8FDC8F-0C0B-08BA-745DB2BEE5EC9048.jpgimage_201207121640527A8FF98F-058B-0B32-9B4BA9FF29B1D25B.jpgimage_201207121641217A906BE0-9F18-B136-512718869FCA1CEC.jpg

BANGKOK, July 12 -- An Iranian man was detained at Thailand’s main international airport for allegedly smuggling crystal methamphetamine, known as 'ice,' valued at Bt14 million (some US$466,000), a Thai senior customs officer said on Thursday.

Rasoul Boroumand, a 34-year-old Iranian, was apprehended at Suvarnabhumi Airport Wednesday night with packaged crystal meth, weighing some 3,980 grammes, Rakop Srisupa-at, director of the Thai Customs Department Investigation and Suppression Bureau, told a news briefing Thursday.

Flying from the Iranian capital of Tehran to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates before reaching Thailand, the suspect behaved suspiciously while passing through the terminal.

Customs officers asked him to stop for a baggage check and found crystal meth in four plastic bags covered with dark blue carbon paper. The packages of the illegal drug were hidden in a briefcase inside his suitcase.

Mr Boroumand was charged with possessing and smuggling illicit drugs without permission and was transferred to the Narcotics Suppression Bureau for further investigation.

Apart from impounding the crystal meth, customs officers seized 2,777 methamphetamine pills with an estimated street value of Bt1 million ($33,300) found at Suvarnabhumi airport’s mail centre, June 13 through July 9. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-12

"Mr Boroumand was charged with possessing and smuggling illicit drugs without permission......"

​Who would I apply to to get permission?

He is lucky he wasn't caught in Dubai.

Why what do they do in Dubai.

They get the death penalty here in Thailand and from memory, one of the politicians want's to have them executed within three months of being found guilty.

I am sure the customs and police are questioning the mule and will be pursuing leads regarding the destination of the drugs and expect him to reveal local dealers' names.

OTOH maybe not.

More likely a highly placed BiB official is calling for the head of the customs officer who busted the Iranian.

".....plastic bags covered with dark blue carbon paper." WHY?

My guess is someone had the idea it would deflect x-rays at baggage inspection. I also guess that it was this deflection that caught someone's attention.

All in all, things are so corrupt in this part of the world you really can't tell what is going on. Eg, maybe this guy was busted as a distraction while a dozen other people carrying just as much passed through without a second glance.

I'm trying to keep score. Sometimes we hear of these Iranians with ice being busted at the airport on an almost daily basis, but isn't it that are leaving the country with it?