Jomtien Immigration

bobobo

The paranoid side of me says to check police records. coffee1.gif

Wouldn't you think they can check that on a computer while they're processing the application?

Edited by tropo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't you think they can check that on a computer while they're processing the application?

My understanding is they have a special department to investigate foreign criminals. I am just speculating and can't think of any other reason why they hold the passports, except perhaps to annoy people and force us to take an extra trip there.

Renewed my retirement visa this morning at Jomtien, was number two after a German gentleman.Handed the officer two thousand baht and quick as a flash one hundred baht appeared as change. Took me all of ten minutes in and out.

I just renewed mine (and my wife's) this afternoon. Took us around 45 minutes. Change given back instantly.

Do you have any idea why they keep the passports overnight?

So if I see a fit, well sculptured and toned farang picking up two passports tomorrow at the same time as me I will know who it is smile.png

My understanding is they have a special department to investigate foreign criminals. I am just speculating and can't think of any other reason why they hold the passports, except perhaps to annoy people and force us to take an extra trip there.

the applications are normally countersigned by the super at the end of each day or in the morning

however the last person to inspect the application has the authority to sign off on it if they wish and can give you the passport back there and then.

much will depend on whether you are a long termer with a number of previous extensions, you have had a few years with no changed address details and how you have presented and conducted yourself during the process

if they think you qualify as a low risk renewal with a good history, you will not need to go back to get it.......

the applications are normally countersigned by the super at the end of each day or in the morning

however the last person to inspect the application has the authority to sign off on it if they wish and can give you the passport back there and then.

much will depend on whether you are a long termer with a number of previous extensions, you have had a few years with no changed address details and how you have presented and conducted yourself during the process

if they think you qualify as a low risk renewal with a good history, you will not need to go back to get it.......

So have you gotten your passport back right away? Because I think I meet all your criteria and I always need to go back the next day. In other words, I am very skeptical that your information is accurate. How do you know that? Did a senior officer tell you that?

For years they had farangs come back the next day to pick up their passport. Occasionally, if you got there VERY early in the morning, they told you to come back later that afternoon.

This delay changed in the 4th quarter of 2011 when they streamlined the process. Last December, I received my passport back in a couple of minutes. Many other Expats reported the same. It seemed that Chonburi Immigration had finally done one thing that didn't unnecessarily inconvenience Expats. This is the notice that was posted at the time on the Pattaya City Expats Club website and published in their newsletter:

YOU NO LONGER COME BACK FOR YOUR PASSPORT - We have received several reports since November 2011 that Chonburi Immigration has changed the process. A lady sitting next to the Sgt. at Desk 6 will now take your documents and enter information into the computer before collecting your fee and giving your packet to the Sgt. He will affix the required stamps in your passport. The Lady Captain that sits behind him will review the documents, sign the extension stamp, and give you back your passport, everything completed.

Obviously, they reverted back to their old ways sometime since then.

• Like 2

Never had a problem at Jomtien immigration.

Me neither.

nor me

I did the very first time when they openly asked me if the passport I was giving them was actually mine!?!w00t.gif True story.

It took it to be a kind of HAZING ritual.

The message took.

They say jump, I saw how high, and how many copies?

Edited by Jingthing

Renewed my retirement visa this morning at Jomtien, was number two after a German gentleman.Handed the officer two thousand baht and quick as a flash one hundred baht appeared as change. Took me all of ten minutes in and out.

I wish it was that easy to get an extension based on marriage. I've lost count of how many years I've done it, and it's the same circus with a inch-thick pile of documentation every time. sad.png

I wish it was that easy to get an extension based on marriage. I've lost count of how many years I've done it, and it's the same circus with a inch-thick pile of documentation every time. sad.png

Yeah I agree but I have all the docs on my computer. all the forms I made into pdf forms for easy editing. The worst part is having to go to bkk for the dam_n income letter. Other than that it's not so bad.

maybe one of these years I get the timing right when the outreach guys are in town.

Edited by Jayman

For years they had farangs come back the next day to pick up their passport. Occasionally, if you got there VERY early in the morning, they told you to come back later that afternoon.

This delay changed in the 4th quarter of 2011 when they streamlined the process. Last December, I received my passport back in a couple of minutes. Many other Expats reported the same. It seemed that Chonburi Immigration had finally done one thing that didn't unnecessarily inconvenience Expats. This is the notice that was posted at the time on the Pattaya City Expats Club website and published in their newsletter:

YOU NO LONGER COME BACK FOR YOUR PASSPORT - We have received several reports since November 2011 that Chonburi Immigration has changed the process. A lady sitting next to the Sgt. at Desk 6 will now take your documents and enter information into the computer before collecting your fee and giving your packet to the Sgt. He will affix the required stamps in your passport. The Lady Captain that sits behind him will review the documents, sign the extension stamp, and give you back your passport, everything completed.

The current policy appears to be: go back the next day.

You inform us there was a SHORT PERIOD where the policy (at least) was to give the passport back the same day.

Personally I have always had to go back. As people only go in ANNUALLY for extensions, obviously if the policy changed for a short time then most people would have never experienced the better (faster) service.

Nothing in the expat club newsletter about there being two classes with defined criteria of applicants as far as getting their passports back or not.

Cheers. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

You inform us there was a SHORT PERIOD where the policy (at least) was to give the passport back the same day.

Personally I have always had to go back. As people only go in ANNUALLY for extensions, obviously if the policy changed for a short time then most people would have never experienced the better (faster) service.

Nothing in the expat club newsletter about there being two classes with defined criteria of applicants as far as getting their passports back or not.

Cheers. coffee1.gif

Cheers. coffee1.gif

surfrider reported a start date not an end date

i had my passport back same day in the manner surfrider describes only last week

its obviously now an officer discretionary matter ......

i had my passport back same day in the manner surfrider describes only last week

How do you know it isn't the policy now in general?
  • Like 1

How do you know it isn't the policy now in general?

i don't care

i am TV community spirited but you have made me feel this way

i got my passport back

you didn't

live with it

i am off to play freeplayo, its infinitely more riveting than this conversation.....

Edited by timekeeper

surfrider

THANK YOU!

That's how it exactly happened for me last March and for my friend two days ago.

I think it really depends on circumstances.... numbers of people in the office, computer down, authorized person being present, etc...

Note: we both had no problems with change being returned.

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

Yeah I agree but I have all the docs on my computer. all the forms I made into pdf forms for easy editing. The worst part is having to go to bkk for the dam_n income letter. Other than that it's not so bad.

maybe one of these years I get the timing right when the outreach guys are in town.

Even my wife know how to collect the required paperwork by now, the catch is they change something every year that catches you off-guard and requires yet another trip to Jomtien - which, considering we live way out SSCC is not just around the corner.

Well it wasn't happening yesterday afternoon at around 2pm. Apart from us, I saw half a dozen people being given tickets to come back the next day. We were all well behaved and neatly dressed.

Rimmer went in first thing in the morning and even he has to go back today to collect his passport... so I can't see how the time of the day makes a difference.

That's how it exactly happened for me last March and for my friend two days ago.

I think it really depends on circumstances.... numbers of people in the office, computer down, authorized person being present, etc...

Note: we both had no problems with change being returned.

thank you BB1950

The other day I went in the morning for a residence certificate and was told to come back the next morning to collect it. Previously it used to be ready in the afternoon. No big deal as I walk near there every day.

I contacted Barry Kenyon, former Honorary British Consul for Pattaya, and currently assisting Expats daily to navigate the morass at Jomtien Immigration. I asked why some Expats receive their passport back immediately, and others that afternoon or the next day. Nothing earth shattering, but here is his comment:

"I think it’s whether they are busy or not and whether the boss upstairs is immediately available, or not, to sign the paperwork"

Edited by SurfRider
  • Like 2

I contacted Barry Kenyon, former Honorary British Consul for Pattaya, and currently assisting Expats daily to navigate the morass at Jomtien Immigration. I asked why some Expats receive their passport back immediately, and others that afternoon or the next day. Nothing earth shattering, but here is his comment:

"I think it’s whether they are busy or not and whether the boss upstairs is immediately available, or not, to sign the paperwork"

Now that sounds logical AND you have provided a credible source. Thank you very much!

Well it wasn't happening yesterday afternoon at around 2pm. Apart from us, I saw half a dozen people being given tickets to come back the next day. We were all well behaved and neatly dressed.

Rimmer went in first thing in the morning and even he has to go back today to collect his passport... so I can't see how the time of the day makes a difference.

I think it was his long nails that put them off????

I did get mine back the same day about a year ago. Not this year. Had to come back the next day even though I was there early. I think like mentioned above, it's determined by a number of factors.

But Rimmer was in and out in very short order the last few days. Immigration seems to be doing a pretty good job.

There could be a tea-money element involved in the delayed return of the passport, depending on which supervisor is running the show at the moment.

My suspicion is -- if you said something like "I can't possibly come back tomorrow - I'll be in Bangkok for a week - can I pay an extra fee to get my passport now?" -- That might produce a minor miracle . . . TiT

Personally, I'd be happy to pay an additional B100 to expedite, because it's very difficult for me to get to Jomtien Imm.

There could be a tea-money element involved in the delayed return of the passport, depending on which supervisor is running the show at the moment.

My suspicion is -- if you said something like "I can't possibly come back tomorrow - I'll be in Bangkok for a week - can I pay an extra fee to get my passport now?" -- That might produce a minor miracle . . . TiT

Personally, I'd be happy to pay an additional B100 to expedite, because it's very difficult for me to get to Jomtien Imm.

That wouldn't be surprising. But that is very different than asserting there is a special list of favored expats and unfavored ones. I also wouldn't be surprised if a small number of celebrity types get favored treatment. But if the signing guy isn't there, he isn't there. But just based on having lots of retirement extensions and a stable address, etc., no. Edited by Jingthing