What Is The Meaning Of “Lak Len-Len”?

WorkingTourist

Can someone help me understand the term: “lak len-len”?

I assume it is something like not being serious about the relationship (just having fun), but to what degree? Like, I love you, but not enough to marry you and have kids, or more like I’m horny and just need someone to fondle.

รักเล่นๆ rak len len

It means

Love for a short time then separate forever.

You could use it to describe a holiday romance.

literal translation 'Love play play'

It's actually RAK = love, but with a regional accent to make it sound like LAK

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

No it doesn't.

Mate, my wife is sitting here beside me correcting my spelling ("don't forget mai ek over law ling, darling")

I think she knows what it means.

Mr. WorkingTourist is being asked by his gf if she is just a holiday romance for him.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

OK, should probably have mentioned I know the words that make up the phrase.

Some more context:

My girlfriend (turning 24 this year) has said she don’t want to marry or have kids (and I have stressed there is no such future with me), she has also said that she thinks I will be bored of her after awhile, but she will enjoy it while it lasts (will be sad for a few days when it ends, go see her Buddha, and then move on).

It’s of course impossible for me to know if she actually means this, anyway, she stills ask if I “lak len-len” (yeah, I write it ‘lak’ because that is how everyone I speak with pronounce it :) ), and from the way she asks, I am quite sure that if I tell her ‘yes’ she will be very sad.

I am inclined to tell her yes (as I don’t want to lead her on, or have her “waste” her time with me, if she is looking for something serious), but I believe that this has already been indicated, so I wonder if “lak len-len” might have another meaning than just the “enjoying it while it lasts”, as I do really like the girl in the way that makes me happy to spend time with her (not just in the bed), and wouldn’t want to make her think otherwise by using the wrong term to describe my feelings.

Perhaps ‘lak len-len’ is a region-specific term.

I think HD has been HDing a bit too much.

I doubt he's anymore a real heavy drinker than you are a real physicist.

It means you are asking someone if they really love you or just want to play around. In other words asking if you're for real, like HD pointed out.

For the record, the pronunciation of lak rather than rak isn't down to a regional accent, you find the correct pronunciation of ร replaced with the easier although technically incorrect ล among the lower classes all over the kingdom irrespective of any particular region.

For the record, the pronunciation of lak rather than rak isn't down to a regional accent, you find the correct pronunciation of ร replaced with the easier although technically incorrect ล among the lower classes all over the kingdom irrespective of any particular region.

I thought the south kept the /r/ very well.

Can we just call "รักเล่น ๆ" flirting? I don't think it means lie for love, it is flirting, a term for a not too serious, loose relation involving sex with no obligations after all.

Anyway, I am going to ask my wife later.

Edited by garrya

A friend of my gf translated it to “lie for love” — not that this makes me understand it, but it seems to be pretty negative and not just “having a good time w/o being really serious”.

Lie for love would be rak log log - a deceitful form of love, saying you love someone but not meaning it, maybe to get to next base. Rak len len is similar to a fling. Rak jing jing true love.

• Like 1

Lie for love would be rak log log - a deceitful form of love, saying you love someone but not meaning it, maybe to get to next base. Rak len len is similar to a fling. Rak jing jing true love.

Thanks, turns out she means ‘rak log log’ (and claims it’s the same as ‘rak len len’).

Can I have you spell ‘rak log log’ for me? Unfamiliar with the word ‘log’ and can’t find it in my dictionary.

What a great little dscussion in this forum. From a non Thai linguist it appears that there can be many interpretations of the language. I will be trying to learn the language in a couple of months after our son is born. i will asking for a lot of advice. I know I will get good advice.

What a great little dscussion in this forum. From a non Thai linguist it appears that there can be many interpretations of the language. I will be trying to learn the language in a couple of months after our son is born. i will asking for a lot of advice. I know I will get good advice.

as well as bad. Just beware any sentence that starts with "My wife says" or "I asked my wife"

as well as bad. Just beware any sentence that starts with "My wife says" or "I asked my wife"

It's gonna get even worse soon, when I marry my sister-in-law, I'll have two of them looking over my shoulder and offering opinions.

Then I'll be typing 'my older wife says' then 'my younger wife says'

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

Why? Are they not capable of handling simple language issues?

Ask three Thais the same question and you may end up with three different answers.

As for "Are they not capable of handling simple language issues?", depends on how good the girls English is, we only need to look at some of the replies on this thread.

Obviously not if they have to ask their wives...

Simple language issues?

I live in Chiang Mai... Thai word for delicious - 'Lam'

Wify comes from Khon Kaen - Thai 'Issan' word for delicicious - 'Sap'

Bangkok - Thai word for delicicious - 'Alloy'

I could go on and on but that is not my point..

You may learn 'Central Thai Language' but if you move to the provinces - you better be prepared to expand your scope. The nearest and dearest is one of the greatest resources if you are receptive and prepared to learn and be receptive.

I think that it is called a 'Learning Curve'.

Good luck

• Like 1

Simple language issues?

I live in Chiang Mai... Thai word for delicious - 'Lam'

Wify comes from Khon Kaen - Thai 'Issan' word for delicicious - 'Sap'

Bangkok - Thai word for delicicious - 'Alloy'

I could go on and on but that is not my point..

You may learn 'Central Thai Language' but if you move to the provinces - you better be prepared to expand your scope. The nearest and dearest is one of the greatest resources if you are receptive and prepared to learn and be receptive.

I think that it is called a 'Learning Curve'.

Good luck

Correct pronunciation is aroi, not alloy (see reply #12).

See, it's never simple.

Edited by Kananga