Thaksin’s Former Dubai Lawyer Sentenced To 3 Years For Stealing His Money

webfact

He got 3 years for 3 million baht [uS $ 100,000]

The report said the former lawyer took around 3 billion baht from the transaction for his personal use.

I personally wouldn't do 3 years for that.

Would you do it for around a thousand times more?

Nah. Not these days. Maybe 20 years ago I would have been up for it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that the press media have over-reacted their statement and check out the fact before conclude your statement. All is about politics games.

http://www.thenation...breach-of-trust

This is no over-reaction. This is a constant and perfectly organized action by some people in both local newspapers and international forums to spin any news to presents them in way that is damaging for the present government and his former leader in exile.

Id do 3 years for 90 million USD.

Where do I sign up????

The report said the former lawyer took around 3 billion baht from the transaction for his personal use.

Missing quite a few zeros... "The report said the former lawyer took around 3 billion baht from the transaction for his personal use."

I would be quite happy to serve 3 years anywhere for 3 billion bt... 1 billion baht a year is an awesome annual income and a considerable improvement on my current salary!

I guess the message being, crime does pay, unless of course the reporter simply missed out the compensation payments and seizure of assets that you'd expect to accompany the conviction and prison term... perhaps not, I am not familiar with the sentencing powers for one "convicted of breach of trust".. in Dubai...

Why is this lawyer who has been sentenced to three years only being refered to as KM after he has been convicted when he has been named a number of times previously as Khaled al-Muhairy including here on TV.

http://www.thaivisa....emirati-lawyer/

Now he has been sentanced maybe he will do a runner and go into exile in Thailand and manage his business from here... !!...wink.png

Too effin funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do I sign up????

It sucks when you can't read ... 3 BILLION not 3 Million. I'm not saying the article is right mind you but the OP was talking about the amount in the article not the one you misread and then even copied and pasted and still misread. 3 Billion bhat would convert to around 90 to a 100 million depending on the exchange rate at the time.

Where do I sign up????

It sucks when you can't read ... 3 BILLION not 3 Million. I'm not saying the article is right mind you but the OP was talking about the amount in the article not the one you misread and then even copied and pasted and still misread. 3 Billion bhat would convert to around 90 to a 100 million depending on the exchange rate at the time.

Sounds about right, they had it at £60million on another source.... £20 million for each year of jail time? Sounds good to me, if he serves half the sentence for good behaviour he'll increase his annual salary to £40 million a year!!!

So all I need now is a fugitive football club owning billionaire tycoon that wants to sell his club and use me as a money middle man... any offers?!

3rd time married lady on the night after the wedding tells her 3rd husband:

"Please we need to do it slowly; I am still a virgin...."

Surprised husband asked...: "but I am your 3rd husband, what happened to you before?

"Simple" was her answer, "my first husband was a gynecologist, looking around, studying it but never never do the thing.... "

" My second husband was a psychoanalyst, was talking about it all days and nights but never doing it either.."

Smiling man asked: 'What make you thing it will be different with me then?"

"Ohhh I know for sure it is going to be different with you"; stated the confident lady; "you are a lawyer; I know I am going to get screwed..."

--------------------------------------------

*The door, I know... going now* tongue.png

Edited by CantSpell
  • Like 2

I guess that the press media have over-reacted their statement and check out the fact before conclude your statement. All is about politics games.

http://www.thenation...breach-of-trust

This is no over-reaction. This is a constant and perfectly organized action by some people in both local newspapers and international forums to spin any news to presents them in way that is damaging for the present government and his former leader in exile.

Good on em'. Can I be part of that "perfectly organized action"? Just curious.

Where do I sign up????

Sounds about right, they had it at £60million on another source.... £20 million for each year of jail time? Sounds good to me, if he serves half the sentence for good behaviour he'll increase his annual salary to £40 million a year!!!

So all I need now is a fugitive football club owning billionaire tycoon that wants to sell his club and use me as a money middle man... any offers?!

Put me in coach.. thumbsup.gif

Where do I sign up????

Missing quite a few zeros... "The report said the former lawyer took around 3 billion baht from the transaction for his personal use."

I would be quite happy to serve 3 years anywhere for 3 billion bt... 1 billion baht a year is an awesome annual income and a considerable improvement on my current salary!

I guess the message being, crime does pay, unless of course the reporter simply missed out the compensation payments and seizure of assets that you'd expect to accompany the conviction and prison term... perhaps not, I am not familiar with the sentencing powers for one "convicted of breach of trust".. in Dubai...

Do't forget that in addition to 3,000,000,000 baht you get room and board.tongue.png

• Like 1

Where do I sign up????

THREE BILLION BAHT about $96.5 Million US Dollars,,,,,,,,give or take a few million baht.

Where do I sign up????

Do't forget that in addition to 3,000,000,000 baht you get room and board.tongue.png

Good point, a sizeable salary with accommodation and meals provided FOC, what a great package!

the jail doesn't sound so bad either

http://www.thenation...-central-prison

i'd do it in a heartbeat!

anyone have thaksins phone number? i have a deal he might be interested in.

Free education, free healthcare and even a supermarket! I love the harsh disciplinary measures... " Prisoners who step out of line face disciplinary measures, including bans on phone calls, receiving visitors or shopping in the supermarket"

Where do I sign up? Prison Dubai style.... wonder if they have Gucci and Prada sections in the supermarket.. .tongue.png

• Like 1

the jail doesn't sound so bad either

http://www.thenation...-central-prison

i'd do it in a heartbeat!

anyone have thaksins phone number? i have a deal he might be interested in.

Free education, free healthcare and even a supermarket! I love the harsh disciplinary measures... "Prisoners who step out of line face disciplinary measures, including bans on phone calls, receiving visitors or shopping in the supermarket"

Where do I sign up? Prison Dubai style.... wonder if they have Gucci and Prada sections in the supermarket.. .tongue.png

He was convicted in a Misdemeanor court so he may get to serve his sentence in home detention, in that nice place Thaksins money paid for. cheesy.gif

• 6 months later...

According to a media website from the United Arab Emirates, www.thenational.ae, an Emirati partner and manager of a well-known Dubai law firm known as KM was acquitted of embezzlement and forgery, but convicted of breach of trust.

The 45-year-old KM was Mr Thaksin’s lawyer, acting on his behalf during the sales of Man City Football Club. The report said the former lawyer took around 3 billion baht from the transaction for his personal use.

The Dubai Misdemeanors Court sentenced KM for three years for breach of trust. It was reported that the lawyer use Mr Thaksin’s money to purchase a private jet and other personal financial transactions.

UPDATE

Thaksin's Dubai lawyer has jail sentence upheld

DUBAI // A prominent Emirati lawyer cleared of embezzling £60 million from Thaksin Shinawatra during a deal to sell Manchester City Football Club had his three-year jail term for a breach of trust upheld by the Appeals Court yesterday. K M, 45, a partner in a well-known Dubai law firm, was accused of embezzling the former prime minister of Thailand’s money through an escrow account the law firm controlled in 2008.

The embezzlement was alleged to have taken place between September 18 and October 27, 2009. When he appeared at the Dubai Misdemeanours Court in March 2011, K M, 45, denied the breach of trust charges and additional charges of embezzlement, attempted fraud, and forgery. He was found guilty only of breach of trust. This verdict was upheld by the Appeals Court yesterday.

According to the charges sheet, the lawyer, as the legal representative of Thaksin in a deal to sell Manchester City, was accused of embezzling £60m out of £150m deposited into an escrow account. Prosecutors also accused the lawyer of embezzling £15m after Thaksin asked him to receive a money transfer on his behalf and deposit it in a bank in Montenegro in his name. Records show that the lawyer convinced Thaksin to keep the amount of the transfer in the law firm’s bank account to avoid political pressure. Prosecutors said the lawyer later deposited the amount in his own bank account.

Continued:

http://www.thenation...sentence-upheld

The National (Arab Emirates) - February 1, 2013

Edited by Buchholz

According to a media website from the United Arab Emirates, www.thenational.ae, an Emirati partner and manager of a well-known Dubai law firm known as KM was acquitted of embezzlement and forgery, but convicted of breach of trust.

The 45-year-old KM was Mr Thaksin’s lawyer, acting on his behalf during the sales of Man City Football Club. The report said the former lawyer took around 3 billion baht from the transaction for his personal use.

The Dubai Misdemeanors Court sentenced KM for three years for breach of trust. It was reported that the lawyer use Mr Thaksin’s money to purchase a private jet and other personal financial transactions.

UPDATE

DUBAI // A prominent Emirati lawyer cleared of embezzling £60 million from Thaksin Shinawatra during a deal to sell Manchester City Football Club had his three-year jail term for a breach of trust upheld by the Appeals Court yesterday. K M, 45, a partner in a well-known Dubai law firm, was accused of embezzling the former prime minister of Thailand’s money through an escrow account the law firm controlled in 2008.

The embezzlement was alleged to have taken place between September 18 and October 27, 2009. When he appeared at the Dubai Misdemeanours Court in March 2011, K M, 45, denied the breach of trust charges and additional charges of embezzlement, attempted fraud, and forgery. He was found guilty only of breach of trust. This verdict was upheld by the Appeals Court yesterday.

According to the charges sheet, the lawyer, as the legal representative of Thaksin in a deal to sell Manchester City, was accused of embezzling £60m out of £150m deposited into an escrow account. Prosecutors also accused the lawyer of embezzling £15m after Thaksin asked him to receive a money transfer on his behalf and deposit it in a bank in Montenegro in his name. Records show that the lawyer convinced Thaksin to keep the amount of the transfer in the law firm’s bank account to avoid political pressure. Prosecutors said the lawyer later deposited the amount in his own bank account.

Continued:

http://www.thenation...sentence-upheld

The National (Arab Emirates) - February 1, 2013

Hilarious that the master scammer and thief is a victim of a scam and a fellow thief. Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.
  • Like 2

I wonder if we'll ever see a Thai lawyer (in Thailand) arrested for stealing from a foreigner.

stealing from foreigner's w00t.gif That coud never happen here whistling.gifcheesy.gif

Been here 13 years, and I never had anything stolen from a Thai

The only one time I had a loss here was to a foreigner.

Same, same, only thing ever stolen here was my camera, taken by the farang who I thought was my best friend. Later admiited it.

• Like 1

UPDATE

K M, 45, a partner in a well-known Dubai law firm, was accused of embezzling the former prime minister of Thailand’s money through an escrow account the law firm controlled in 2008.

btw, KM is :

The lawyer, Khaled al-Muhairy, 45, a partner at a Dubai firm, is charged with breach of trust, attempted fraud and forgery charges. He pleaded not guilty,

Associated Press - March 17, 2011

from earlier thread:

Thaksin In Megabucks Spat With Emirati Lawyer

http://www.thaivisa....-emirati-lawyer