Thaksin’s Former Dubai Lawyer Sentenced To 3 Years For Stealing His Money

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But does he have to give the money back? I'd entertain 3 years in the slammer for 75 million quid.

The money is apparently gone. Too bad, so sad.

http://blog.nationmu...nt.php?id=15997

On second thoughts (and accounting) I'd do the time for the interest on 75 million quid.

hahaha now you know why Nick Leeson was smirking after he screwed Baring Bank for a lot more than this

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lawyer loses embezzlement lawsuit

DUBAI: The lawyer who had been convicted of breaching trust and embezzling Dhs441 million from the former prime minister of Thailand lost the lawsuit that was filed against him and the Court of Misdemeanors in Dubai has upheld the Court of First Instance’s verdict. The bill of indictment forwarded by the Public Prosecution included 6 charges, which all related to breach of trust. The court acquitted him of the rest of charges and emphasised its non-jurisdiction of others.

The convict before the bench of the Court of First Instance denied all the charges that related to embezzling the £60 million from the prime minister. He was also charged with embezzling 15 million euros from the prime minister, after the latter asked him to receive a bank transaction sent from the account of PP Dubai in the Julius Bank Switzerland. The convict advised the prime minister to open an account under his name in the Prva banka Crne Gore AD — in Montenegro so as to be safe in case the European authorities freeze his account due to political issues, the prosecution said.

The prosecution also accused the lawyer of embezzling Dhs39 million, after the minister had asked him to buy a house for him in Dubai Hills. The convict bought the house and registered it under his name for Dhs38 million, besides paying Dhs380,000 as broking fees, Dhs620,000 for registration and $135,000 as lawyer fees. He forged two official documents, through which he embezzled a plane valued at $48 million, the prosecution said.

Continued:

http://gulftoday.ae/portal/7a754a24-c36c-42af-9edb-ffb7532b81a1.aspx

Gulf Today - February 1, 2013

According to a media website from the United Arab Emirates, www.thenational.ae, an Emirati partner and manager of a well-known Dubai law firm known as KM was acquitted of embezzlement and forgery, but convicted of breach of trust.

The 45-year-old KM was Mr Thaksin’s lawyer, acting on his behalf during the sales of Man City Football Club. The report said the former lawyer took around 3 billion baht from the transaction for his personal use.

The Dubai Misdemeanors Court sentenced KM for three years for breach of trust. It was reported that the lawyer use Mr Thaksin’s money to purchase a private jet and other personal financial transactions.

UPDATE

Thaksin's Dubai lawyer has jail sentence upheld

DUBAI // A prominent Emirati lawyer cleared of embezzling £60 million from Thaksin Shinawatra during a deal to sell Manchester City Football Club had his three-year jail term for a breach of trust upheld by the Appeals Court yesterday. K M, 45, a partner in a well-known Dubai law firm, was accused of embezzling the former prime minister of Thailand’s money through an escrow account the law firm controlled in 2008.

The embezzlement was alleged to have taken place between September 18 and October 27, 2009. When he appeared at the Dubai Misdemeanours Court in March 2011, K M, 45, denied the breach of trust charges and additional charges of embezzlement, attempted fraud, and forgery. He was found guilty only of breach of trust. This verdict was upheld by the Appeals Court yesterday.

According to the charges sheet, the lawyer, as the legal representative of Thaksin in a deal to sell Manchester City, was accused of embezzling £60m out of £150m deposited into an escrow account. Prosecutors also accused the lawyer of embezzling £15m after Thaksin asked him to receive a money transfer on his behalf and deposit it in a bank in Montenegro in his name. Records show that the lawyer convinced Thaksin to keep the amount of the transfer in the law firm’s bank account to avoid political pressure. Prosecutors said the lawyer later deposited the amount in his own bank account.

Continued:

http://www.thenation...sentence-upheld

The National (Arab Emirates) - February 1, 2013

Hilarious that the master scammer and thief is a victim of a scam and a fellow thief. Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

Som Nom Na!

At least now he (Thaksin) may realise how the people he has stolen from feel?

I Hope the guy hangs on to the money and gets moved to an inactive post as his sentence!

Fair play to the lawyer if you are going to steal, make it worthwhile! Brings to mind the old expression, "You might as well be hung for a sheep than a lamb"

Edited by lizardtongue

I wonder if we'll ever see a Thai lawyer (in Thailand) arrested for stealing from a foreigner.

stealing from foreigner's w00t.gif That coud never happen here whistling.gifcheesy.gif

Been here 13 years, and I never had anything stolen from a Thai

The only one time I had a loss here was to a foreigner.

Certainly there are nasty foreigners here who steal, but TV is where we bash the Thais with reckless abandon, don't you know that? biggrin.png

As he was not found guilty of any thing but breach of trust, does he get to keep the spoils? It really sounds like he ends up with the spoils for 3 year jail term. Could not have happened to a more deserving person.

The money is gone, Thaksin has a separate civil suit against his Dubai scammer for 75 million pounds.

It is the case in post #64 that the court said was beyond its jurisdiction.

No word on any hearing on when that civil action is dealt with. Then Thaksin would have to win the case and then wait for recoupment, IF he does win. No telling how long all this would take in Dubai against a Dubai citizen.

In the meantime, in all these interceding years, Attorney KM has had full use of all that "gone" pounds sterling.

:thumbsup:

Granted he's in lockup over it, but since the first page of the thread, a number of posters would reply mai pen rai to that amount of compensation..

Edited by Buchholz

I wonder if we'll ever see a Thai lawyer (in Thailand) arrested for stealing from a foreigner.

stealing from foreigner's w00t.gif That coud never happen here whistling.gifcheesy.gif

Been here 13 years, and I never had anything stolen from a Thai

The only one time I had a loss here was to a foreigner.

Certainly there are nasty foreigners here who steal, but TV is where we bash the Thais with reckless abandon, don't you know that? biggrin.png

I know you are being facetious, but here we only bash they who deserve to be bashed farang OR Thai.rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Could some one please clarify, has Big Brother been also charged with corruption in Dubai?

Mr. KM pleaded not guilty and asked the court to consider corruption cases pending Mr Thaksin, who pressed charges against him.

Edited by tomross46

Could some one please clarify, has Big Brother been also charged with corruption in Dubai?

Mr. KM pleaded not guilty and asked the court to consider corruption cases pending Mr Thaksin, who pressed charges against him.

KM was referring to the dozen or so corruption cases still pending against Thaksin in his country of birth, not in Dubai.