R&B And Oldies Musicians Take Note

maidu

for jam session and possible low-key performances - at Boomerang Park stage and perhaps other places near Chiang Rai. Have drummer who is interested. Open to bassist and/or guitarist or keyboards and/or vocalist. Prefer music styles from US/UK 1950's and 60's, but somewhat flexible. Have some equipment.

163 views and no comments. Anyone out there like R&B and oldies music? Maybe you can hire our non-existent band to play at some special event. You can pay with monopoly money and a 'wee of gluay' (bunch of bananas).

Speaking of bananas, I saw two hill tribe women today, walking in Tachilek who had bananas on their heads. Each woman had a group of about 9 bananas curved over the tops of their heads. Wished I had a camera on hand.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help for your 'jamming' sessions, but you may want to take note about the problems people had in Chiang Mai last year:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/454199-musicians-arrested/

Not saying you would have the same issues, but it might be something to be aware of? Especially if you have a disgruntled wannabe Thai musician who sees you playing....?

Good luck anyhow.

Thanks mistephenso. I read the thread. I think even in N.Korea and Iran, they would allow a few foreigners to strum guitars and sing in a bar without criminalizing them. Ok, maybe not those two countries, but in most. Led Zeppelin's Page and Plant did an informal solo gig for a few days in a club in India (before LZ was famous). They didn't get busted.

A number of years ago, I gigged solo in Mexico (playing guitar in two clubs, for some payment). A few weeks later, authorities told me to wrap it up, as I was an illegal alien. Then I had to subsist on corn tortillas and bananas for 3 weeks, as my money dried up.

Thanks mistephenso. I read the thread. I think even in N.Korea and Iran, they would allow a few foreigners to strum guitars and sing in a bar without criminalizing them. Ok, maybe not those two countries, but in most. Led Zeppelin's Page and Plant did an informal solo gig for a few days in a club in India (before LZ was famous). They didn't get busted.

A number of years ago, I gigged solo in Mexico (playing guitar in two clubs, for some payment). A few weeks later, authorities told me to wrap it up, as I was an illegal alien. Then I had to subsist on corn tortillas and bananas for 3 weeks, as my money dried up.

Was it the bananas curved over the top of your head?

• Like 1