Musicians Arrested

DavidOxon

Hi

I hear from a reliable source that 4 farang musicians

were arrested by immigration police in Chiang Mai last night for playing music in public without a permit. Including the bar owner who, though he has a WP, was arrested for allowing the others to play in his bar.

Sad and sobering times...

David

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is sad. Never thought of it but under Thai law technically they are in violation even if entertaining for free. Wish there was some hope that the WP law could be revised, but there really is zero chance of that ever happening soon.

For people working illegally, and hiring illegal workers illegally?

The 2 bars I mentioned, there is no payment, not even free drinks.

They play for free because it's a hobby .... not a job.

Nobody would be hired in their place if they didn't play.

For people working illegally, and hiring illegal workers illegally?

For people who want to get together to play some music. For art and creativity, For freedom of expression, yes, sad and sobering.

Entertaining for free to give people pleasure?

How dare they be so wicked....."off with their heads"

I just don't know what's happening to Chiang Mai - next thing we'll hear about is that farang's are helping old ladies across the road for free.......absolutely outrageous? TIT.

Edited by uptheos

Disgusting!

No wonder tourism is down in Thailand.

Next it will be a farang given 2 years in prisonment for singing in the bath or farting in a public lavatory.

Hearing news like this sometimes makes me think whether it is worth living in Thailand at all.

Careful out there, big brother is watching.

If true this wouldn't be the first time that foreign musicians got busted for performing at Guitar Man. Meanwhile, in many years in the music scene here I've yet to hear of this kind of trouble at another venue. So for now I'd say this sounds like a crackdown on a particular place, not on the scene in general. And who said there was freedom of expression around here anyway?

Last I was back home, at a bar that had live band, the whole of the Hungarian embassy jumped on stage to perform when the band took a recces.

But I guess they have diplomatic immunity and their ABBA rendition was horrible. they only got Hotel California half right.

Sounds like a great excuse to make the Mrs take control of the broom and sweep the street while I watch from inside, as long as thats not considered surpervison . With my wife I dont think I would need to worry . I could defend that one easy ....

Disgusting!

No wonder tourism is down in Thailand.

Next it will be a farang given 2 years in prisonment for singing in the bath or farting in a public lavatory.

Hearing news like this sometimes makes me think whether it is worth living in Thailand at all.

Careful out there, big brother is watching.

careful here too!

have witnessed first hand, the same sad experience in phuket, but as someone has already stated whether its for fun, free etc, it's just not worth the risk, i guess technically if you were to start painting your house, inside or out, the same scenario applies, you're depriving thais work, so where do you draw the line, immigration should stipulate what you can and can't do under current thai law, then it's up to us to consider the risks.

The BIB have been going about the LK area holding meetings with bars saying that that an increase in tea money would help them to look the other way. they are to meat with a certain group at a certain boxing venue tonight.

have witnessed first hand, the same sad experience in phuket, but as someone has already stated whether its for fun, free etc, it's just not worth the risk, i guess technically if you were to start painting your house, inside or out, the same scenario applies, you're depriving thais work, so where do you draw the line, immigration should stipulate what you can and can't do under current thai law, then it's up to us to consider the risks.

Painting YOUR OWN house would not be a problem. Painting someone else's house (even for free) would be a violation. Definition:

“ Work ” means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

http://eng.mol.go.th/doe_service01.html

Edited by venturalaw