Mobile Internet Coverage In Issan (Ubon Ratchathani)

thaimite

I am not sure if this would be best here or the issan forum, but here goes. (Mods feel free to move it if you think it is in the wrong location).

I have been working away from home for sometime, but before I left I had good coverage with CAT CDMA in my home (Det Udom area of Ubon Ratchathani).

I will be returning for another spell in Issan soon, and am wondering what the current CDMA/3G situation in that part of the world is. Internet connection at home is a MUST for me.

My specific questions are

I have heard rumours that CAT will be suspending their services at the end of the year. Is this true? Does it apply to all areas or just some?

How is 3G coverage progressing. I have looked at the coverage maps of the major providers, but i am not sure if they are up to date or not. If so it does not look good.

Given coverage who is providing the best services ./ offers?

I was very happy with my CAT CDMA. The speed was not great, but the fact it had unlimited download and reasonable (for Thailand) reliability was the main thing.

Thanks for your input

Edited by thaimite

Hi Thaimite,

PM me when you get back and well have a beer or two.

Guess you must have telephone wires outside where you are. TOT was absolute $hite here in amphur Kantharalak (town was always okish) when I last saw you at the family wedding. Has come on in leaps and bounds since. Not high speed, but not pedestrian either. Worth getting your wife to enquire. 524baht pcm. You should be good to go with that and a dongle if CAT has aborted (althought the TOT situation varies a lot around Issaan I think).

Hi Thaimite,

PM me when you get back and well have a beer or two.

Guess you must have telephone wires outside where you are. TOT was absolute $hite here in amphur Kantharalak (town was always okish) when I last saw you at the family wedding. Has come on in leaps and bounds since. Not high speed, but not pedestrian either. Worth getting your wife to enquire. 524baht pcm. You should be good to go with that and a dongle if CAT has aborted (althought the TOT situation varies a lot around Issaan I think).

Thanks for the update and advice. I will drop you a PM shortly.