Clubbing

DavidSL

Thanks for all the replies, it's good to see I'm not alone, but interesting to hear other people's points of view. I'm certainly not suggesting clubbing can't be fun, because I know that some genuinely get excited to go for a night out clubbing, but I'm the complete opposite. I dread it, and look forward to the taxi ride home. It really isn't my scene, and whilst I appreciate others liking it, loving the music or the drinking or whatever, it's not for me. I love music, but loud, thumping music for 4 or 5 hours is ridiculous. That most people NEED to drink to go clubbing, and that the drinks are so expensive just adds to my reasons not to bother. I could honestly make one glass of coke last for a few hours if I wanted, why bother filling my stomach with carbonated fluids when I plan to dance? If you start drinking in a club it can become a bit endless. I have had better nights clubbing sober than drunk - dancing all night and not feeling sick is a good thing, and I do see the enjoyment when it's a good night. But it's a weird thing, clubbing, and perhaps I grew up in the wrong area of England to fully appreciate it.

That said, I didn't see any trouble. There were idiots about, but no one was really causing any problems. Apart from the two morons trying to 'pull' my friend's fiance whilst he was about. But like a lot of you have said, maybe she should have put a stop to it as well.

It's one of the things I miss most.

Raving through from Fri night to Mon morning...Ministry, Fabric, The Vauxhall, The End....those were the days. The last Ram night at The End? I flew to London for the weekend just to attend.

Don't even get me started on Carnival, Clash of the Titans, Valve, the after-parties........

I enjoy going out in BKK but there's nothing like the scene in London.

Dang. This topic brought out my Caveman instincts. Now I need to go hunting in the clubs for some satisfaction.

I have had people trying to chat up or attract the attention of women I have been with and agree with those posters who have said she should not have allowed a conversation to develop. A simple, polite hello 7 how are you would have sufficed. No need for it to go further if you are happy with what you already have.

Clubbing. I love to leave my cave at times and dance around some fresh young meat being readied for the spit. The bongo drums a drummin' and the singing to the gods of love and life are just the thing to get you going. Much better than staying in the cave drinking blood from a vessel.

(mods can have a field day with that - or not LOL)

I utterly love clubbing. I've been at it for more than 30 years and can't see the urge to keep at it waning any time soon. Having said that, I've had to compromise heavily in terms of quality in BKK after being so spoiled on the London circuit.

For me, the music always comes first but clubs here are very challenging in that regard. There are one or two "underground" venues where you can hear great music but they're few and far between and they all close early so, if you want to stay out later than 3am - I do - you have to put up with the after-hours dives that cater primarily for drunken tourists who, as you can imagine, don't really give a toss about music when they're just trying to get laid.

Because of that, the music is aimed at the hoes since, if they're dancing and enjoying themselves, the guys will keep buying the over-priced drinks. Clubs like Insomnia have done a fantastic job working with the hoes. They get seriously discounted drinks and free entry; shit, the club even sends them SMS telling them to come down ASAP when they've got lots of foreign guys spending money. It's one of the reasons the venue is always heaving when its rivals are nursing 30 or 40 punters.

Edited by HardenedSoul

Raving through from Fri night to Mon morning...Ministry, Fabric, The Vauxhall, The End....those were the days. The last Ram night at The End? I flew to London for the weekend just to attend.

Don't even get me started on Carnival, Clash of the Titans, Valve, the after-parties........

Main difference between the two is that Bangkok’s scene mostly runs on alcohol and methamphetamines while London’s raving scene was fuelled by XTC and lovey dovey people dancing with glow sticks.

Different vibe really.

im a lover of good electronic music and good djs..So no i do not like clubbing in thailand.

i think that there is good music in Thailand, however if it is the music that you are all about you have to get much more into the the "scene" so that you are making informed choices.

A night out at q bar, insomnia, bed etc is not clubbing, it is a night i a bar.

by picking your parties, finding out what you like, when and where they play you can ensure that you are not trapped listening to Octo spin on a hip hop night.

Thailand had a burst of quality gigs about 2004-2005 when clubs like 808, (and even more so when it was Astra) were filled to bursting and a new big name came in every week, if not more frequently.

That was fun, I reviewed shows as a sideline then, but thee site has mysteriously gone down and i cant for the life of me fiqure out how to get it up and running again

I'm still resting from '88 - '95, 7 years of Balearic Beats, Hedonism in a shirt dancing the night away to the likes of Farley, Rampling, Fung, Oakenfold spinning the very best cool trendy tunes. Our generation started the whole house music scene, I was there from the start. I don't remember much about it apart from everyone in the very best of spirits, happy smiling faces, we thought we was going to change the world. Then the Acid Ted, Pikeys and plastic gangsters arrived and killed it, some might say a house snob from back in the day when it all started, that's fine by me.

Main difference between the two is that Bangkok’s scene mostly runs on alcohol and methamphetamines while London’s raving scene was fuelled by XTC and lovey dovey people dancing with glow sticks.

Different vibe really.

The main difference is UK gave birth to many different genres. They developed with illegal parties and pirate stations. That's why the scenes are so much better.

The same is true for rap in th UK v US argument. Battle nights are eveywhere Stateside, but less in UK.

Thailand just doesn't have cultural depth in that regard.

No raves in abondoned car parks in Bangkok. Just aerobics!

Yeah some good DJs and live PAs pass through Thailand for sure. But the appetite is not the same.

And someone else nailed it on the head: a wicked night out at Q - which I love - is still nowhere near the same as raving till dawn in what used to be an abatoir!

Yes I still like clubbing.

Loud repetitive music, associated laser mixed with scantily dressed girls gyrating their ass against your body makes for great foreplay.

It definately beats drinking at one of those street bars at four in the morning.

why not just skip the foreplay and dive right into the bush? why is you old guys like foreplay? i like <deleted>.

Loud repetitive music, associated laser mixed with scantily dressed girls gyrating their ass against your body makes for great foreplay.

It definately beats drinking at one of those street bars at four in the morning.

why not just skip the foreplay and dive right into the bush? why is you old guys like foreplay? i like <deleted>.

How old is old?

I'm 49 myself. How about you?

Anyway some good clubbing music being played on Underground Bangkok Radio at the moment to get you in the mood.

I played in clubs professionaly for 20 years and loved it until I had the flu one night and didn't drink. The experience shocked me. People in clubs are idiots. On stage I was isolated from the morons. I have never enjoyed a club from the audience ever.

How old is old?

Anyway some good clubbing music being played on Underground Bangkok Radio at the moment to get you in the mood.

Funny, I know quite a few of the bangkok based guys on there, met a few of the others.

i also have a fair few years before i hit 49, but not as many as id like.

How old is old?

Funny, I know quite a few of the bangkok based guys on there, met a few of the others.

i also have a fair few years before i hit 49, but not as many as id like.

They play some decent music and have a pretty good web site as well that lists most of the clubs together with detailed event schedules, who plays where where, profiles of dj's etc.

You go to a sleazy area and find sleazy people what did you expect ? You go to the after party with the drunks that can't stop drinking even though it's 3 am and find a tosser ? Was that a suprise to ? ...... Why don't you go to an more upscale club if thats what you want instead of complaining that the sleazest part of town attracts the sleazest people ?

Their are numerous nice upscale clubs to enjoy that lack the tossers and drunks the music is often louder than westerners like but thats life.

People who try to get by on the cheap and then complain that it was not up to their standards are foolish because the reality is that you want more than you are willing to pay for.

You go to Patpong and expected it to be the South of France ? LOL

You also get the stares from staff, menu's shoved in your face and expected to buy a drink right as you step in. The last club I was at I took a seat and immediately two waiters came up and stuck a menu in my face, one over each shoulder and ran their flashlights down the menu.

Not if you're b0ll0ck naked with tassles dangling from your nipples.

IMO...............biggrin.png

If I go, I like the clubs in Funky VIlla, much classier than some of the places in and around Nana lol

RCA is pretty good too, I like LED. Its a nice crowd, upper class crowd and the entry fee is about 1,000 baht depending on the night. But worth it.