Cnx Flight Paths: Have They Changed?

Greenside

In the last few weeks we've noticed regular flights passing over Nong Hoi - usually departing but the occasional one that looks as if it's going to do a landing from the west. Did something happen to make them change the flight paths?

You can't land form the West as the runway is North-South. ;)

Mostly planes take off towards the South and land towards the North, but if there are different and strong winds that this can be reversed.

Of course after taking off to the North, (and with a mountain on the left), planes will need to do a right turn, as most flights go South.

I notice in high season many many flights taking off in a northward direction, but now only a few a day. Then they do their U turn and head south.

I dont see flights taking off southwards(because of where I live) but in high season do they come in from the south and exit through the north so its safer with all the air traffic.

Mostly planes take off towards the South and land towards the North, but if there are different and strong winds that this can be reversed.

Departures to the North are usually to de-conflict outbound and inbound traffic rather than anything to do with the wind.wink.png

Departures to the North are usually to de-conflict outbound and inbound traffic rather than anything to do with the wind.wink.png

Where did you get that information?

MSPain

MSPain

The bigest factor is wind. Have a look at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airfield_traffic_pattern

• Like 1

So I've heard

MSPain

The bigest factor is wind. Have a look at this link http://en.wikipedia....traffic_pattern

MSPain

The bigest factor is wind. Have a look at this link http://en.wikipedia....traffic_pattern

Yup.. Planes taking off Southbound almost immediately do a left turn to take them out of the way of approaching traffic. And they quickly gain a lot more altitude than planes that come in for landing too, of course. If there's really a conflict it's just a matter of waiting a couple minutes, which happens on occasion.

I still think the northbound exit is used heavily in high season though and that must be due to interest of safety for incoming flights from the south.

As I said before, not many coming north at the moment.

Thankyou for the link on wiki; we have all just gone from mere plane spotter to being able to discuss the aerodynamics and wind turbulences at take off and landing.

I still think the northbound exit is used heavily in high season though and that must be due to interest of safety for incoming flights from the south.

As I said before, not many coming north at the moment.

Thankyou for the link on wiki; we have all just gone from mere plane spotter to being able to discuss the aerodynamics and wind turbulences at take off and landing.

Sorry but Wini is confusing Approach with a traffic pattern.... CNX has a standard approach to Runway 36 since this is their ILS runway. Takeoff is normally traffic dependent, when their are a lot of aircraft on approach the takeoff will be on Runway 36, when there is seperation between aircraft they use Runway 18. The only time that wind becomes a factor at CNX is if the crosswind exceeds the maximums then the runways would close..... hard to imagine since the typical wind patterns are generally out of the North or South in Chiangmai.

• Like 2

Planes seem to be taking off and landing without too much bother.

What else is there to know once the "crew prepare for take off / landing" is announced?

well now I want to know if we are on runway 18 or 36.

I didnt realise there were this many runways here.

What else is there to know once the "crew prepare for take off / landing" is announced?

Single runway.... depending on which way you takeoff it can be either 36 (North) or 18 (South). For landing, if it is an Instrument approach you will be on 36. Non-instrument approach can be on either runway (Direction).

There is only a single physical runway with two directions. If there is a big mountain on your left, you are on 36, heading north (360 degrees). If there is a big mountain on your right, you are on 18, headed south (180 degrees).

MSPain

Here: http://www.aviation.go.th/technical/nav/ChiangMai_Chart.htm

re ..well now I want to know if we are on runway 18 or 36.

I didnt realise there were this many runways here

nor did i .... you can see the main runway in this pic and the small roads the planes

use to get on and off it but i cant see another : (

dave2

post-42592-0-46344200-1342500043_thumb.j

MSPain

Here: http://www.aviation....ngMai_Chart.htm

wai.gif

Single runway.... depending on which way you takeoff it can be either 36 (North) or 18 (South). For landing, if it is an Instrument approach you will be on 36. Non-instrument approach can be on either runway (Direction).

thanks for the clarification Biggles

There is only a single physical runway with two directions. If there is a big mountain on your left, you are on 36, heading north (360 degrees). If there is a big mountain on your right, you are on 18, headed south (180 degrees).

so if we are on runway 27 then we have a serious problem, and best to get to the back quick then.

so if we are on runway 27 then we have a serious problem, and best to get to the back quick then.

Correct.... extremely short and incredibly wide!

OMG you indeed have pictures for everything.

re ..well now I want to know if we are on runway 18 or 36.

I didnt realise there were this many runways here

nor did i .... you can see the main runway in this pic and the small roads the planes

use to get on and off it but i cant see another : (

dave2

not sure its as funny if I have to explain my "sarcasm" there (with me on this Ups?)

my point was at runway 27 the mountain would be "trong pai"....straight ahead

I am confused i thought CNX has only one runway RWY 18/RWY 36..so what is RWY 27..is it some kind of sarcasm..ermm.gif

read post 27. yes its English sarcasm; black humour, sorry but if you are not English you will not follow it, even our American cousins have to have it explained so dont you worry yourself.thumbsup.gif

nice map kaptain. No direction to Bangkok then?...they just go thattaway

• Like 1