Top Bangkok Primary School Closes Due To Hand, Foot And Mouth Disease: Chulalongkorn University

webfact

Top Bangkok primary school closes due to hand, foot and mouth disease

image_201207171149119344BCBE-E7A0-1021-FBEA5AA20483154E.jpg

BANGKOK, July 17- Bangkok’s top-rated Chulalongkorn University Demonstration Elementary School (Satit Chula School) suspended classes from today through Friday after a number of students were infected with hand, foot and mouth disease.

Asst Prof Chalermpol Daoruang, the school’s deputy director, said that the temporary closure came after an unspecified number of Grade 1 and 2 students were diagnosed with hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD).

Suspending classes is intended to help halt the spread of the contagious disease among students and school staff as well as to allow the infected children to rest and receive medical treatment.

The school has a total of 1,500 primary students in Grades 1-6 and will resume classes normally on Monday, Asst Prof Chalermpol said.

In a related development, Chulalongkorn Hospital clinical virology expert Yong Phuworawan said that the virus carriers of the hand, foot and mouth disease currently affecting Thailand are different from the past and that several types and strains of the virus have been identified.

The HFMD found in the country were commonly caused by Enterovirus 71 and Coxsackie virus A16 which are not severe virus carriers, Dr Yong explained.

Yet, the ongoing disease in the country was caused by Coxsackie Virus A6 and Enterovirus 71 C4, which are the same strains found in neighbouring Cambodia, as well as Enterovirus 71 B5.

In Thailand, treatment depends on patient symptoms. Some countries have more experience with and research regarding hand, foot and mouth disease, the virologist said.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra expressed concern over the spread of the disease in schools, and assigned the public health and education ministries to jointly respond to the threat. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-17

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

At the school where I work, we have 3 confirmed cases--one case in each building. Some classes in the KG have only a few students, but those absent are because of parents who are scared their child will catch the disease.

I am assuming that at a school like the one in the OP, the cases are confirmed. I would also guess that that school has students from a rather wide geographical area, so the prevalence of the disease is probably significant. I would also believe that since the PM is expressing concern, there is a good reason to be concerned.

From a website:

Chulalongkorn University Demonstration Secondary School (CUD or Satit Chula) is located on the west side of Phayathai road in the heart of Bangkok, it is surrounded by a key district for business, trade, culture, education, health services as well as diplomacy, and can be conveniently reached through a variety of transportation. The school consists of approximately 1,500 students, 117 faculty members, and 70 staff.

http://act-eco.net/2012/satit-chula-and-its-surrounding

The incompetence of the Thai authorities is unrivaled in the world.

The real trouble is the establishment. Departments are in the hands of elitist who are there to stay. They are not used to be scrutinized and they are always in denial.

Quintessential statements of truth that resonate fully with me,... well said!

• Like 1

Just few information links to give an understanding what we are talking about:

http://www.cdc.gov/h...bout/index.html

About Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (HFMD)

Overview

Hand, foot, and mouth disease is a common viral illness that usually affects infants and children younger than 5 years old. However, it can sometimes occur in adults. Symptoms of hand, foot, and mouth disease include fever, blister-like sores in the mouth (herpangina), and a skin rash.

Hand, foot, and mouth disease is caused by viruses that belong to the

Enterovirus genus (group). This group of viruses includes polioviruses, coxsackieviruses, echoviruses, and enteroviruses.

• Coxsackievirus A16 is the most common cause of hand, foot, and mouth disease in the United States, but other coxsackieviruses have been associated with the illness.
  • Enterovirus 71 has also been associated with hand, foot, and mouth disease and outbreaksof this disease.

Hand, foot, and mouth disease is often confused with foot-and-mouth disease (also called hoof-and-mouth disease), a disease of cattle, sheep, and swine. However, the two diseases are caused by different viruses and are not related. Humans do not get the animal disease, and animals do not get the human disease.

And wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....d_mouth_disease

If it's in downtown bangkok, then it has to be pretty much nationwide

Why is that?

Are you sure you're not mixing it with Foot and Mouth disease?

The kids got Hand, foot and mouth disease. It is not the same.

I think u are splitting hairs.

Human foot and mouth disease also presents it on the hands. human foot and mouth, is the same add human foot, mouth and hand, or id that different from, mouth, foot and hand, or mouth, foot and hand disease?

What else can happen now, maybe the Incas were right, September this year is going to be the end of this world as we know it. The whole world at war, fighting each other, weather going to extremes, chaos throughout , every where, guess the prophecy was right.

• Like 2

Why is that?

Human foot and mouth disease also presents it on the hands. human foot and mouth, is the same add human foot, mouth and hand, or id that different from, mouth, foot and hand, or mouth, foot and hand disease?

Hand, foot, and mouth disease is often confused with foot-and-mouth disease (also called hoof-and-mouth disease), a disease of cattle, sheep, and swine. However, the two diseases are caused by different viruses and are not related. Humans do not get the animal disease, and animals do not get the human disease.

Why is that?

I tried to read it but, you got me confused. Let's try again

Foot-and-mouth disease - is a viral disease that afects cloven-hoofed animals. Humans can be infected but with minor affects.

Hand-foot and mouth disease is from the same family but affects humans - attack mainly children and caused many deaths in the past.

Edited by metisdead
: Bold removed.

What else can happen now, maybe the Incas were right, September this year is going to be the end of this world as we know it. The whole world at war, fighting each other, weather going to extremes, chaos throughout , every where, guess the prophecy was right.

A touch pessimistic don't you think?

We're not talking the worldwide spread of the ebola virus here, but a common, mild (albeit painful) illness.

• Like 1

It's probably just a symptom of too many kids in a classroom that is undermanned by attendants.

Reading about this on the Mayo Clinic website tells me that there are probably more than unacceptable numbers of unhygienic toddlers running rampant and spreading this before the overworked attendants can provide the proper cleaning and care.

At the end of the day, it is simply disgusting to think the top school lets its guard down like this.

Absolutely no excuse.

"In Thailand, treatment depends on patient symptoms. Some countries have more experience with and research regarding hand, foot and mouth disease, the virologist said.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra expressed concern over the spread of the disease in schools, and assigned the public health and education ministries to jointly respond to the threat."

Let's see. Yesterday it was no threat. Today, we don't know much about it, but the public health and education ministries are supposed to use their total lack of knowledge to to jointly respond to the threat. It's like Yingluck has a list of responses which she rattles off when needed, without knowing anything about the issue. "If there is a health hazard, use response #47".

I was quite surprised when I saw this thread

My son had hand foot and mouth here in the UK when he was 3

Went to the doctor, he had a quick look, diagnosed it and sent us off to the chemist for some pills.

In and out in 5 minutes, no fuss, no worry

Few days later all gone and he was never in any discomfort just spotty.

I just thought it was comparable to chickenpox.

Is it one of those things where the older you are the worse it gets maybe?

• Like 1

We're not talking the worldwide spread of the ebola virus here, but a common, mild (albeit painful) illness.

He is not just speaking of diseases, but everything combined. One this is true...we are in the proverbial, hot water.

It's probably just a symptom of too many kids in a classroom that is undermanned by attendants.

Reading about this on the Mayo Clinic website tells me that there are probably more than unacceptable numbers of unhygienic toddlers running rampant and spreading this before the overworked attendants can provide the proper cleaning and care.

At the end of the day, it is simply disgusting to think the top school lets its guard down like this.

Absolutely no excuse.

I think you are laying blame where it doesn't exist. Far from criticizing the school, we should be applauding them for taking positive action. Even the most well staffed schools and nurseries are breeding grounds for illnesses, it's the nature of the beast.

• Like 2

He is not just speaking of diseases, but everything combined. One this is true...we are in the proverbial, hot water.

Yes, but this thread is about hand, foot and mouth. If you or PMD want to start a 'the end is nigh' debate, start a thread in general.

Why did Thailand never report about the disease beforehand? Only BBC or similar news channels reported what's going on....

Authorities here are pretty good in not saying the truth. I'm only 100 km away from the Cambodian border.

People cross green borders and I'm pretty sure that more and more people(kids!) will be infected soon.

Guess we all know how well little hospitals are prepared for such an outbreak.........wai.gif

• Like 1

The incompetence of the Thai authorities is unrivaled in the world. Yesterday they told that Thailand had no problems whatsoever and that everything was under control. That wile 76 children had died in Phnom Pen alone and 64 in China. Everybody with half a brain knows that this is the top of the iceberg as doctors do not know how to identify EV71. in a matter of fact the WHO thinks that the children die mainly due to the use of steroids while local doctors deny this. Along the border with Cambodia there must be literally hundreds of cases like this.

the wait is for a political party like the Democrat Party to start pointing fingers to the government and accuse them of negligence, a bit like with the flooding. It is the governments fault that it is raining and also that the Bangkok government closed all the klongs and made roads out of them.

The real trouble is the establishment. Departments are in the hands of elitist who are there to stay. They are not used to be scrutinized and they are always in denial.

Things must be under control.

GK assured me that all was well

Why did Thailand never report about the disease beforehand? Only BBC or similar news channels reported what's going on....

Authorities here are pretty good in not saying the truth. I'm only 100 km away from the Cambodian border.

People cross green borders and I'm pretty sure that more and more people(kids!) will be infected soon.

Guess we all know how well little hospitals are prepared for such an outbreak.........wai.gif

They could be well prepared since HFMD is a fairly regular occurence here - my daughter had it earlier this year and her kindergarten was closed for a week.

Though there have been some deaths in Cambodia there is a suggestion that they could be down to mistreatment. Of the several thousand cases in Thailand already I have not heard of any fatalities.

HAND, FOOT AND MOUTH DISEASE

Satit Chula suspends classes after students infected with HFMD

30186331-01_big.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK: -- Satit Chula in Pathumwan district has suspended classes from today until Friday after a number of students became infected with hand, foot and mouth disease.

The suspension came after an unspecified number of Grade 1 and 2 students were diagnosed with the disease, Asst Prof Chalermpol Daoruang, deputy director, said.

The temporary closure is intended to help halt the spread of the contagious disease among students and school staff as well as to allow the infected children to rest and receive medical treatment.

The school which is on Phya Thai Road has a total of 1,500 primary students in Grades 1-6 and will resume classes on Monday, he said.

In a related development, the virus carriers of the hand, foot and mouth disease currently affecting Thailand are different from the past and several types and strains of the virus have been identified, Chulalongkorn Hospital clinical virology expert Yong Phuworawan said.

The HFMD usually found in the country was commonly caused by Enterovirus 71 and Coxsackie virus A16, which are not severe virus carriers, Dr Yong explained.

The ongoing disease in the country is caused by Coxsackie Virus A6 and Enterovirus 71 C4, which are the same strains found in neighbouring Cambodia, as well as Enterovirus 71 B5.

In Thailand, treatment depends on patient symptoms. Some countries have more experience with and research regarding hand, foot and mouth disease, the virologist said.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra expressed concern over the spread of the disease in schools, and assigned the public health and education ministries to jointly respond to the threat.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-17

I do wish that more people 'Googled' so that they have at least a nodding acquaintance of the subject matter of posts. After reading up on 6 different sites about HFMD i consider most of the posts on this thread are way off beam.

• Like 1