Both Marriage Affidavit And Divorce Certificate (Translated And Legalized) Required?

waters

Hi All,

I've just had my marriage affidavit affirmed at the Canadian Embassy as well as translated - so in theory - I'm all set for a trip to Chaeng Watthana to legalize the translation.

In my affidavit I declared that I am divorced, and provided the Canadian Embassy with a copy of my certificate of divorce.

I was told by the consular official that this was the last time I would need my divorce certificate, however, in a previous thread - I have seen that the divorce certificate may actually be required at the marriage registration (in addition to the letter of affirmation and my passport). Is this true?

In which case does this mean I must have BOTH the letter of affirmation (affidavit) AND the divorce certificate translated and then legalized at Chaeng Watthana?

We'll likely register the marriage at Khet Phayathai here in Bangkok.

Thoughts or advice greatly appreciated...

waters

Okay well that was easy. The Phaya Thai District Office is just around the corner from us, and so I popped-in and asked one of the officers at the registration counter if a translated and legalized version of my divorce certificate would be required.

It is NOT required, as the affirmed affidavit sworn at the Canadian Embassy (translated and then legalized at CW) states that I am eligible to marry.

And that's it.

:-)

Normally it is enough, but some amphurs wil insist on the divorce decree. In Bangkok and other big places they are more familiar with marrying foreigner then up country.

Congratulations on your marriage. Have a nice wedding day.