Corruption In Thailand Worsens Over First Six Months: Survey

webfact

SURVEY

Corruption index worsens over first six months

Petchanet Pratruangkrai

The Nation

30186393-01_big.JPG

Private sector needs to spend 30-35% of project's cost to win government contract

BANGKOK: -- Corruption in Thailand worsened in the first half of the year, with the private sector saying it must spend 30-35 per cent of a project's budget as graft to win a government job, a survey by the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC) and the Anti-Corruption Network found.

If this is true, corruption could cost Bt252 billion to Bt294 billion out of the country's overall investment budget of Bt840.14 billion this year, amounting to 2.18-2.54 per cent of gross domestic product.

Corruption is getting worse because of higher budgets for the government's post-flood rehabilitation projects, and many mega-projects will open for bidding in the current second half, said UTCC president Saowanee Thairungroj.

Worsening graft could damage foreign investors' confidence and Thailand's competitiveness against other countries, she warned.

She claimed that the major culprits were politicians and businesspeople who deal with government projects, while state officials are instructed by politicians to cheat on each project.

To increase transparency and rein in corruption, the UTCC urged the government to share information with the public clearly on every project tender.

Based on a survey of 2,400 respondents covering the business, public and government sectors, the Thai Corruption Situation Index (CSI) slipped from 3.6 points in December to 3.5 points out of 10 last month, suggesting an increase in graft in the past six months.

A CSI score close to zero indicates high corruption, while a score close to 10 shows higher transparency and a lack of graft.

Other indices related to corruption - those measuring its seriousness, suppression efforts, and awareness and morality - have also dipped since last year, while only the index on corruption prevention was unchanged from last year's 4 points. The index on corruption seriousness was down from 3.4 points to 3 points, the suppression index shrank from 3.8 to 3.7 points, and the index on awareness and morality dropped from 3.5 to 3.2 points last month.

More than 85 per cent of respondents said they had to pay bribes whenever they had to deal with government agencies or politicians to win contracts. Only 4.7 per cent said they had not paid any bribes, while almost 10 per cent said they were unaware there was graft.

Saowanee said the projects most likely to lead to corruption were infrastructure developments worth a total of Bt2.2 trillion and the flood-rehabilitation project worth Bt300 billion.

Moreover, 35 per cent of respondents said they must pay more than 25 per cent of a project's budget to win the job from the government. On average, they said they must pay about 30-35 per cent of the budget to win a project from the government or state-owned agency.

These figures were higher than in the last survey, when only 30.6 per cent said they had to pay more than 25 per cent for tea money.

But according to the UTCC statistics for 1999, only 11-15 per cent of the budget would be paid under the table, Saowanee added.

She said the losses due to corruption would affect the government's procurement of materials, land and buildings.

Last year, the total losses due to corruption were about Bt233 billion to Bt272 billion, from the total investment budget of Bt777. 58 billion, she said.

Saowanee said the government had to get serious about reducing corruption or it would continue to hold back the country's growth.

Thanavath Phonvichai, director of the UTCC's Economic and Business Forecasting Centre, said the survey showed that the government had failed to rein in corruption.

The situation will badly damage Thailand's image while other Asean countries such as Singapore and Malaysia have developed more rapidly.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-18

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vicious slur from the Nation. These surveys are so unreliable. Where's the evidence? Corruption is good, graft must be expected, it fuels the economy. Without graft, nothing gets done...

What other arguments will be trotted out this time round? Apologists, please step up to the plate.

• Like 1

The Yingluck anti-corruption campaign was probably a wee bit delayed by a flooding well done. It was part of the "urgent policies to be implemented in the first year". Next month we'll get an overview of "first year's achievements" I assume?

"1.3 Earnestly prevent and fight against corruption in the public sector by adhering to transparency and good governance which are universally accepted norms to ensure the effective use of resources for national development and true benefits to the nation; amend laws with a view to preventing and fighting against corruption; broaden the enforcement of legislation regarding prohibition of conflicts of interest to include persons who abuse power arising from their important and high positions without exception; rigorously enforce law to deal with corruption by government officers; strengthen morals, ethics and good governance of state personnel;and, foster consciousness and values of society which uphold integrity and justice."

http://www.thailandtoday.org/node/509

Is anybody actually surprised by these reports?! Every facet of Government and non-government life is envolved in these type of things. Changes start at home with parents teching their kids, and possible a few really outstanding Thai people in top positions able to start and enforce change.

• Like 1

The Anti-corruption Network seems well established and respected. On 2012-01-31

"The network requested the government to agree with the National Anti-Corruption Commission's proposal that government units disclose the operating costs of their projects through an electronic database so that the public can examine."

http://thainews.prd....id=255501310028

"2012-04-20

Pramon Sutivong, chairman of the Anti-Corruption Network (ACN) said the network has asked the government to show details of the budget disbursement for a while, but the government only gives a website, which needs a password to enter. The ACN is, therefore, asking the government to show sincerity and transparency in disbursing the fund."

http://thailandtimes...-relief-budget/

"2012-06-08

An anti-corruption group, which recently staged a hunger strike to protest against the expulsion of poor students from Bodindecha School, yesterday lodged a petition with a special House panel accusing this and 14 other schools of being corrupt in many procurement deals.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Protest-chief-accuses-schools-of-graft-30183728.html

BTW it seems that in an obscure corner of the Transparency International website there is this disclamer:

"The index is based on rankings of countries/territories calculated using a changing set of source surveys. The CPI is therefore not the appropriate tool for comparisons over time"

For those young enough join the Thai Youth Anti-Corruption Network, The Thai Youth Anti-Corruption Network, sponsored by UNDP Thailand and over 15 universities across Thailand, was founded to erase corruption in Thai society through the empowerment of young people.

http://es-la.faceboo...PAntiCorruption moving to http://www.facebook....YAnticorruption first of August

• Like 2

First I would like to know who is this Anti-Corruption Network, who is behind ? As far as I know it's just one of these many "independent" group that has been created by the PAD to annoy the government. If I'm wrong, don't hesitate to correct me.

Then, 30% for a government contract is nothing new. A study in Great Britain showed that civil servants are among the most corrupted people in the world. It's true in Thailand, but it's also true in GB and any other western countries. Here I should remind people that government employees in their big majority support the democrats rolleyes.gif .

Finally to know how corruption is evolving, I'll wait for internationally recognized organization to publish their finding. Here again I should remind the people that previous records showed that things were going noticeably better during Thaksin administration.

Previous records made by Thaksin? Under Thaksin corruption was up to 40% in some sectors.

In Germany no more then 20% (construction industry).

It is not good to see that corruption as measured by this index is slipping again and hopefully the government can get a grip on it before it drops any further though it needs to be remembered that at 3.5 it is still higher that the 3.4 when they took office.

BANGKOK, 30 June 2011 (NNT) – Corruption situation in Thailand remains rampant as the index fell by 0.1 point from 3.5 to 3.4, according to a recent survey by the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC).

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255406300009

How is the Government supposed to reign in corruption when it is the most corrupt force in the county?

-mel.

Law enforcement is the duty of the police and the courts, is it not?

I thought if you wanted to get the police to investigate a crime, you had to pay them a fee. So, it would stand to reason, if wanted them NOT to investigate a crime, like corruption, you pay them a larger fee. I can see corruption being eliminated very soon. crazy.gif

• Like 1

bottom line, you have in power the more corrupt of the two main parties, the one that favours a system of corruption, where their leader is a fugitive from corruption jail terms, a govt who sees the answer to all this as whitewashing his corruption crimes, and corrupting the democratic system absolutely. That's the trend here.

• Like 2

Thaksin funded parties are criminal cabals which conglomorate all the lesser feudalists and mafia bosses throughout Thailand that can deliver votes. They promise him votes and mobs for when force and intimidation is needed to accomplish "democratic aims", he promises them protection to run their rackets from which his wife's and his family collect tributes.

Edited by lannarebirth

Another vicious slur from the Nation. These surveys are so unreliable. Where's the evidence? Corruption is good, graft must be expected, it fuels the economy. Without graft, nothing gets done...

What other arguments will be trotted out this time round? Apologists, please step up to the plate.

you are on a roll

First reply to an OP is a troll...

• Like 1

Thaksin funded parties are criminal cabals which conglomorate all the lesser feudalists and mafia bosses throughout Thailand that can deliver votes. They promise him votes and mobs when needed, he promises them protection to run their rackets from which he collects tributes.

sounds awesome.

• Like 1

you are on a roll

First reply to an OP is a troll...

It's only a troll if you think so. Is your name on it?

Do you have anything to contribute, or are you just following me around? You really need to get out more. tongue.png

• Like 1

How is the Government supposed to reign in corruption when it is the most corrupt force in the county?

-mel.

Law enforcement in some areas is fine, in a lot of other areas - is appallingly corrupt. Days gone past judges were able to be co-erced into some unreasonable decisions but no idea now. In a perfect world if the Police and Courts did their jobs and people were held to 'book', then Thailand would be a very different place.

-mel.

No it is not.

Please consider same basic ideas about a democracy with the rule of law as foundation:

Legislative : Parliament, House of representatives, Senate (Making laws and rules)

Executive : Government, its agencies incl. police. ( Appy the law, enforce the law)

Judicative : Courts (Interpreting the law)

I know, this notion is not very well known in Thailand, where the three forces constantly meddle into the competence of the others.

Thaksin funded parties are criminal cabals which conglomorate all the lesser feudalists and mafia bosses throughout Thailand that can deliver votes. They promise him votes and mobs when needed, he promises them protection to run their rackets from which he collects tributes.

sounds awesome.

I know you think so. I used to think you folks were conscientious people who held differing views about how Thailand could develop for the betterment of it's populace. I now have come to see you as small minded people who never mastered how to thrive in society and worship all the thugs and cons who run roughshod over the people who ran roughshod over you. Simple idol worship of a person or group doing the things you'd do if you only could. Pathetic!

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 2

sounds awesome.

I know you think so. I used to think you folks were conscientious people who held differing views about how Thailand could develop for the betterment of it's populace. I now have come to see you as little people who never mastered how to thrive in society and worship all the thugs and cons who run roughshod over the people who ran roughshod over you. Simple idol worship of a person or group doing the things you'd do if you only could. Pathetic!

laugh.png

sounds awesome.

I know you think so. I used to think you folks were conscientious people who held differing views about how Thailand could develop for the betterment of it's populace. I now have come to see you as little people who never mastered how to thrive in society and worship all the thugs and cons who run roughshod over the people who ran roughshod over you. Simple idol worship of a person or group doing the things you'd do if you only could. Pathetic!

laugh.png

Awesome