What Should I Do?

Kan Win

I have got a Win7 pro version in English. Got this from Banana It

Software Microsoft Windows 7 Professiona SP1 32-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD (OEM)

The question is:

1. Should I buy a new lap top and install it?

2. Or have it installed on my old Lap Top - Aspire 4560G (1 year old using XP) on another drive i.e. Drive E, as XP is on drive C, and the DVD player is in drive D.

I do have lots of XP programs which I use and photos as well on the old one.

What do you all think I should do?

Win wai.gif

It depends on the programs you are running. If they are native winxp than you could use dual boot. but most newer programms are running fine under win7.

so if you have a free partition that you could use for win7, i would suggest you go for the dual boot option until you are sure that all your programms are running under win7. there are several guides to have winxp and win7 on the same computer, one guide is: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

Once you are sure you are fine with win7 alone you can delete the winxp installation.

• Like 1

Sell it/ donate it/ use it as a frisbee.... If you're using XP on the older computer and everything is ok, there is no reason to upgrade. Also no need to buy a new computer just because you have the software. Guess you could just hold on to it until the day comes when you need it, but most like Win 8 will be everywhere by then.

• Like 1

you can have up both and xp and win7 on the same laptop. Dont buy a new laptop as the 1 year old laptop is still powerfull enough to do the job.

Just create a new partition on your hard disk with tools like gparted and put it there. In less than a hour you can do it.

• Like 1

I migrated from an old XP machine to Win 7 with very little difficulty.

As I remember it, just about all the old programmes run under Win 7

The only ones I had to upgrade where Admin functions like disk partitioning etc

• Like 1

Hard drives are not that expensive, I'd buy a new top of the line faster hard drive and put Win 7 Pro on the new hard drive, I did that with my desktop and eventually found out that all my programs ran with no problems on Win 7. Win 7 Pro and Ultimate both have setting that can run programs on old Win XP settings. I felt confident enough with Win 7 Pro that I finally formatted the hard drive and used the old hard drive for a backup. USB hard drive enclosures are not expensive.

• Like 1

The last thing I'd do is buy a new laptop, unless you actually have the need for 2 laptops... Your 1 year old 4560 should of come standard with 4gb RAM. As long as you've got at least 2gb, Windows 7 will run with no problem on that machine.

I think a dual boot is a good solution...

But, a couple of other options are using the Windows Easy Transfer program. (Guide: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-upgrade-windows-xp-to-windows-7-with-windows-easy-transfer/) It won't migrate your programs, but will migrate your documents and any folders you select, as well as your settings.

The other option if you've got things well organized is to simply copy those documents/photos/files you need manually to a USB drive or to a partition on your HD that you won't be install Windows 7 on.

You will have to re-install your programs... I'm not sure what you use, but highly recommend http://www.ninite.com . From here you can simply click all the more popular freeware and it will auto-install everything in one go.

I don't agree with sticking with XP. It's an ELEVEN year old operating system. Take a couple hours to get your files together and make the switch.

Edited by happysanook
  • Like 1

The last thing I'd do is buy a new laptop, unless you actually have the need for 2 laptops... Your 1 year old 4560 should of come standard with 4gb RAM. As long as you've got at least 2gb, Windows 7 will run with no problem on that machine.

But, a couple of other options are using the Windows Easy Transfer program. (Guide: http://www.mydigital...-easy-transfer/) It won't migrate your programs, but will migrate your documents and any folders you select, as well as your settings.

The other option if you've got things well organized is to simply copy those documents/photos/files you need manually to a USB drive or to a partition on your HD that you won't be install Windows 7 on.

You will have to re-install your programs... I'm not sure what you use, but highly recommend http://www.ninite.com . From here you can simply click all the more popular freeware and it will auto-install everything in one go.

I don't agree with sticking with XP. It's an ELEVEN year old operating system. Take a couple hours to get your files together and make the switch.

Before to get ride of win XP, you should know that there is some old software and worst some outdated hardware(usb, router, ...) that will not be win 7 compatible. So its always good to have win XP in case of.

• Like 1

But, a couple of other options are using the Windows Easy Transfer program. (Guide: http://www.mydigital...-easy-transfer/) It won't migrate your programs, but will migrate your documents and any folders you select, as well as your settings.

Before to get ride of win XP, you should know that there is some old software and worst some outdated hardware(usb, router, ...) that will not be win 7 compatible. So its always good to have win XP in case of.

This would be unlikely... Unless the hardware is very old. In any case, it's easy to check...If you have some old peripherals, google "make+model+windows 7 driver"

• Like 1