How To Be A Successful Esl Teacher Here In Los......... The Bible.

we hear so many daft and silly rules and regs we have to abide by when teaching here,

Please list some of the whimsical, daft things you have been asked to do, or not do, to conform to your schools rules or things they just pull out of somewhere just to instill their power.

I will start, please feel free to add. the dafter, the better.

wai everyone.

wear the colour coded clothes for each day.

do not rock the boat by expecting logic.

do not ask for notice of events happening in school. you are farang. 5 minutes before it happens should suffice.

At the end of the school year, the teachers had nothing to do. The owner told me to have them make worksheets for the next year. I ask if she knew who taught what grades/subjects. Answer: No. Did any teachers have a schedule for next year? No. Do you have a curriculum or know what books will be used? No.

Actually, they didn't make any. I found a site that hundreds of worksheets on all kinds of subjects. I downloaded them, put the school logo on them (I left the little copyright info at the bottom on the worksheet) and showed them to her!

Oh, and the next school term we were told we can't use worksheets because only lazy teachers use worksheets because they don't want to teach!

wai everyone.....You are in Thailand. The national greeting is a Wai. Why would you not do it?

wear the colour coded clothes for each day.....If those are the school rules then........

do not rock the boat by expecting logic....Agree that Thai logic and western logic differs but why try to change it. Everyone in the schools works under the same ideas.

do not ask for notice of events happening in school. you are farang. 5 minutes before it happens should suffice..... The Thai teachers seem to know about it. Now why is that? I know. The announcement was in Thai. Try to learn a little bit of Thai so that you will understand.

Stop being a Western elitist and get involved.

• Like 1

wai everyone.....You are in Thailand. The national greeting is a Wai. Why would you not do it?

wear the colour coded clothes for each day.....If those are the school rules then........

do not rock the boat by expecting logic....Agree that Thai logic and western logic differs but why try to change it. Everyone in the schools works under the same ideas.

do not ask for notice of events happening in school. you are farang. 5 minutes before it happens should suffice..... The Thai teachers seem to know about it. Now why is that? I know. The announcement was in Thai. Try to learn a little bit of Thai so that you will understand.

Points 1-3 you have a point but not the 4th.

Announcements are made during meetings and the foreign teachers usually have a separate meeting so if they aren't advised of any activities, events or changes to the timetable at their meeting then how are they to know? And I've been told from day one to only speak English with the students and teachers, they don't want me speaking Thai and that is quite normal at most schools.

• Like 1

Points 1-3 you have a point but not the 4th.

Announcements are made during meetings and the foreign teachers usually have a separate meeting so if they aren't advised of any activities, events or changes to the timetable at their meeting then how are they to know? And I've been told from day one to only speak English with the students and teachers, they don't want me speaking Thai and that is quite normal at most schools.

Suely you don't have meetings at your school everyday ?

Are there no announcements on a loud speaker?

I am the only Native English speaker at my school. I would look silly having a meeting on my own.

Indeed I have been told to speak English with my students and the teachers of the Foreign Language Department, but there are many other teachers around that don't speak English.

Thai schools will make announcements in Thai. To be able to understand them one should learn a bit of Thai.

I took the OP's attitude as one of "all people around here should speak English". I just feel that life is easier when one learns to communicate in the local language.

Edited by puchooay

Foreign teachers may not attend teachers' meetings, although 30% of the 40-person staff are foreigners. Consequently, foreigners are left in the dark as to departmental plans & policies. However, foreigners are held accountable for said plans & policies.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 2

Foreign teachers may not attend teachers' meetings, although 30% of the 40-person staff are foreigners. Consequently, foreigners are left in the dark as to departmental plans & policies. However, foreigners are held accountable for said plans & policies.

Sounds like a hard place to work.

I Would agrre with Puchooay on 2 of his points. Wai everyone.........regardless of status in the school. I even wai the handyman that works at the school I work, you never know when he can help you out with motorbike/car/DIY problems. If the school has a colour dress code, monday - friday, it is not too hard to follow, as long as you have kept-up to date with your washing. Now. point 3 about the logic..........not so much in agreement. Just because as the old saying goes "monkey see, monkey do" without thinking is wrong. If there is a fault with how things are done, why not give an opinion...............ok, it might not be used but why just blindly nod and agree if it is crap. Not just looking at it as a farang, even my thai gf who has worked outside of Thailand see's the faults in some cases were I work and we talk with the thai staff and we find a solution to the problem. Point 4, yes I wish I had more time to learn the Thai language more from my gf and books but as I am currently overloaded being a volunteer teacher in 2 different schools. I feel your sticking your neck out alittle saying that all farang should have 100% ability to understand Thai on a loud speaker thats just sounds like white noise even if it was in english language. If the school has a english language department it should be the job of the head to translate to the more unfortunate of us what was just said. obviously, you work alone so no one to tell you. Well done if you know what the hell is going on all the time. I thank you.......and I mean no disrespect. Just thought I would leave a comment. By the way. My spelling sucks as i stubbed my finger doing DIY......not enjoying myself...........:-p

Edited by chowny77

These discussions seem to be centered around government schools. In English Programs it a little different. We generally don't wai the Thai staff, only the Principal, who we hardly see at all. We generally greet Thai teachers in english and they respond accordingly.need to Our school announcements are in Thai and english, and have a yearly activity calendar, so usually we know what is going on each day. The Thai teachers know we like to be informed if they need our class for some reason, so we are generally told.

As for worksheets, we do make them to supplement our books, as generally books are rather useless (in maths at least) in developing students critical thinking and other kinds of skills that are neglected in such books.

I've been at my school so long I can tell admin what subjects I'll be teaching the following year (usually the same as the previous year!)whistling.gif

"wai everyone."

No wonder Thais think that we are stupid.

How about learn how and when to wai. If you wai at an innapropriate setting or person it just makes people feel awkard. Its similar to a 60 year old calling someone 20 sir or maam. It just seems strange. If you are older than your colleagues, don't wai them. It makes them feel old. My co worker is 3 months older than I am, I have wai'd her just to tease her because she is older, but she doesn't really like it. No woman wants to be reminded that she is older.

I will agree that being successful has nothing related to actually being effective. You could be the most effective teacher and add a lot to the student's potential for learning and yet still not get where you want.

1. Be respectful and learn everyone's name, wai when appropriate (you don't wai the garbage man)

1a. Dress appropriately and professionally at all times even off hours if you are near your school.

2. Show up early, stay late. Don't be seen leaving early.

3. Always look as you are doing something, or offer to help colleagues

4. never complain about anything

5. assume that your weekends and free time are not your own (come to all after hour activities)

6. have no other commitment that is more important than the school

7. don't ever compare what you think the standard of education is in your country to Thailand

8. don't ever assume that you are actually making a difference, or have something more to offer than Thai colleagues

9. have lots of extra materials that you are willing to share with everyone else (especially Thai co workers)

10. know more about teaching than just being able to speak English

"wai everyone."

No wonder Thais think that we are stupid.

How about learn how and when to wai. If you wai at an innapropriate setting or person it just makes people feel awkard. Its similar to a 60 year old calling someone 20 sir or maam. It just seems strange. If you are older than your colleagues, don't wai them. It makes them feel old. My co worker is 3 months older than I am, I have wai'd her just to tease her because she is older, but she doesn't really like it. No woman wants to be reminded that she is older.

I will agree that being successful has nothing related to actually being effective. You could be the most effective teacher and add a lot to the student's potential for learning and yet still not get where you want.

1. Be respectful and learn everyone's name, wai when appropriate (you don't wai the garbage man)

1a. Dress appropriately and professionally at all times even off hours if you are near your school.

2. Show up early, stay late. Don't be seen leaving early.

3. Always look as you are doing something, or offer to help colleagues

4. never complain about anything

5. assume that your weekends and free time are not your own (come to all after hour activities)

6. have no other commitment that is more important than the school

7. don't ever compare what you think the standard of education is in your country to Thailand

8. don't ever assume that you are actually making a difference, or have something more to offer than Thai colleagues

9. have lots of extra materials that you are willing to share with everyone else (especially Thai co workers)

10. know more about teaching than just being able to speak English

A rather strange post. The Wai is a show of respect and also a way to greet people. It is mentioned here about " How to wai appropriately". That is why there are so many settings. As we get older the amount of people that are younger than us gets greater. So to say that one should not Wai people who are younger is absolute *&^%cks. You will end up wai-ing nobody. You will then be looked upon as the arrogant farang. When someone shows you respect then show it back.

As an example, the Head of English, Deputy Head of the School, and the Principle are all younger than me. From what you are suggesting I should not wai them. Rubbish.

I don't wai anybody. Never have. Never had a problem or a negative comment about it. I usually bow my head slightly as an acknowledgment. When we have had a VIP visit, the foreign teachers are taken aside and shown how and when to wai that person--where to put the hands, etc..

I know other teachers who also do not wai and have never had a problem. I do know of one teacher who did start waiing the director and then stopped. He was fired.

If you start waiiing someone, then continue.

What has started out as a whimsical discussion seems to be turning decidedly serious.

Edited by Scott

I' m not going to get in a tit for tat, but puuchai, you don't understand or know anything aout Thai customs. Yes, you can wai your boss. I was talking about those of equal or lesser standings ie. colleagues.

You do whatever you want. I don't care what anyone else does. Go ahead and wai your barber, your masseuse, your maid. I am just stating a fact.

"someone shows you resepct, show it back"

Chowny 77. I never said that I did those things. Just that those that do tend to have more success.

I worked with a guy that physically and verbally abused students. He bruised a kid so bad his parents called the police.

This guy wasn't fired because he did everything on the list. Another teacher that I worked with was an excellent educator but didn't go to any functions, complained about things not the way they should be and he wasn't re-hired.

DUH> I didn't say don't return a wai. I was saying don't initiate.

I agree with a couple of the above.

After several years in Thailand now, I have never wai'd anyone unless they actually were a visiting VIP.

It has never caused me any issues whilst working here. I do acknowledge wai's with a nod and a smile.

I' m not going to get in a tit for tat, but puuchai, you don't understand or know anything aout Thai customs. Yes, you can wai your boss. I was talking about those of equal or lesser standings ie. colleagues.

You do whatever you want. I don't care what anyone else does. Go ahead and wai your barber, your masseuse, your maid. I am just stating a fact.

"someone shows you resepct, show it back"

Chowny 77. I never said that I did those things. Just that those that do tend to have more success.

I worked with a guy that physically and verbally abused students. He bruised a kid so bad his parents called the police.

This guy wasn't fired because he did everything on the list. Another teacher that I worked with was an excellent educator but didn't go to any functions, complained about things not the way they should be and he wasn't re-hired.

DUH> I didn't say don't return a wai. I was saying don't initiate.

Sorry Todttsg. You cannot even get my name right. Speaks volumes. So, after 14 years as a teacher here I know nothing about Thai customs. Sorry again Tudjhedy.

" equal or lesser standings" you say. Again speaks volumes. I can see it now " I am above you. I will not wai you.". Excellent.

Tohjty, or what ever your name is. One thing that I do remember is something my mother told me." Be polite".

By the way, there are not any barbers at my school.

Thank You.

Your mother taught you how to be polite, yet everything you wrote is incredibly rude. No wonder if 14 years here you haven't learned anything about Thai customs.

I accidently mispelled your name. I quickly saw your name and when I was typing spelled the way I thought it was. I didn't do it with animosity as you clearly have several times to my name.

My error was a simple mistake you are deliberately trolling. There is a difference.

Fact. Thais do not wai someone younger than them. Like I said you unwillingly make them feel uncomfortable. They will never say as such because that is also against Thai custom. But if you actually paid attention to their reactions. Younger people will feel awkward if someone older initiates wai. The parallel I made with an older person calling a younger boy

"sir" is very close to the way it would make them feel. Kind of like me at 30 calling you (obviously much older) young man.

There are many people here who have lived for decades that still don't get Thai customs and frankly you are one of them. Enjoy your ignorance because fortunately Thais are forgiving which clearly you are not. Blatantly miss using my name over and over to stir a reaction which clearly you got. So thank you troll

I applaud the OP in starting this thread, it would be the subject of a great book. I actually remember finding a tiny book in Asia books many years ago filled with anecdotes about teaching in Thailand, short passages written by teachers.I can't remember the title but it was very funny.

The worst thing I've ever heard was something I read on this forum, a teacher was complaining about his school and asking whether he could sue them as the acting principle had decided foreign teachers should teach the kids scouting groups.

Your mother taught you how to be polite, yet everything you wrote is incredibly rude. No wonder if 14 years here you haven't learned anything about Thai customs.

I accidently mispelled your name. I quickly saw your name and when I was typing spelled the way I thought it was. I didn't do it with animosity as you clearly have several times to my name.

My error was a simple mistake you are deliberately trolling. There is a difference.

Fact. Thais do not wai someone younger than them. Like I said you unwillingly make them feel uncomfortable. They will never say as such because that is also against Thai custom. But if you actually paid attention to their reactions. Younger people will feel awkward if someone older initiates wai. The parallel I made with an older person calling a younger boy

"sir" is very close to the way it would make them feel. Kind of like me at 30 calling you (obviously much older) young man.

There are many people here who have lived for decades that still don't get Thai customs and frankly you are one of them. Enjoy your ignorance because fortunately Thais are forgiving which clearly you are not. Blatantly miss using my name over and over to stir a reaction which clearly you got. So thank you troll

I wasn't intending to offend. If I did then I apologise, but I do know what I am talking about and I am not a troll. That said.................

There are many different ways to wai people in Thailand, and to say that it is fact that Thais do not wai people younger than them is wide of the mark.

Basically there are three main ways to wai. With fingertips touching the forehead, with fingertips touching the nose, and with fingertips touching the chin.

Now, if you see someone younger than you and you wish to wai them, as you should, then you would wai them with your fingertips touching your chin. This will be greeted by that person as a polite showing of respect. In return they would wai back with their fingertips touching their nose.

The highest point of the wai is usually reserved for those with extreme high standing and for monks.

Now, say you saw someone who was younger than you but of a higher standing, say a school director. You would have to wai him to a higher point than you. A role reversal as it were. Status also being a rule when giving a wai.

Now how about those of a lower standing? One poster here has said that no wai is required. So what about my wife's grandmother. Just a poor littel farmer. Looked upon by Thai society as a peasant. But still my grandmother. She gets a good, high wai from me that she acknoledges. At this point one should also make sure that ones head is lower that that of the elder.

Then there is also the wai required when asking permission for something. When I went to my in- law's house to ask permission to marry their daughter they were seeted on a bench. I got down on my knees and basically gave them a wai to their feet. Ask permission, that was granted, and was thanked by them for understanding the Thai way.

Not bad for someone who knows nothing about Thai customs.!!!!

• Like 1