Volunteer Police...What Do You Think?

snamos

just realised I have seen this foreigner hanging around at Chalong policestation. Just ignored him, so can't really say anything about him as well.

So who is in charge of the TPVs in Phuket? And why are they not doing spot-checks to make sure their members are wearing correct uniform, working the authorised hours, maintaining the correct attitude etc?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are some who undoubtedly perform an excellent job in helping tourists with problems and I have seen situations in Phuket where that has been the case. Unfortunately I have to agree with a lot of you however, the majority are just big boy scouts who like to wear a uniform with handcuffs, walkie talkie and truncheon hanging from their belts. Look at me people I'm so important here!

just realised I have seen this foreigner hanging around at Chalong policestation. Just ignored him, so can't really say anything about him as well.

So who is in charge of the TPVs in Phuket? And why are they not doing spot-checks to make sure their members are wearing correct uniform, working the authorised hours, maintaining the correct attitude etc?

The tall skinny grey haired guy is not a TPV. He is a police assistant and wears the same brown uniform with slightly different shoulder patch. Nothing to do with the tourist police.

The problem is that they don’t have any authority and the rest knows that and therefore totally ignores them and even when they beat up a tourist ( Thai bar touts ) the police volunteers can do shit all.

I have seen a couple occasions where the TPV's saved a tourist from getting a potential bad beating from Thai's. Once they went hands on with a drunk tourist starting problems with pretty much everybody and marched him out of danger. It was a defining moment for me with regard to my feelings towards them.

I find it interesting how much emphasis some people put on "powers" and "authority". FYI, TPV's and all foreign volunteers for that matter, have the same authority as Thai volunteers, which is also the same authority as you, although the TPV's mandate is not to police Thai's and they are instructed accordingly, (a wise decision) they legally could. Despite it's name, you do not need to literally be a citizen to make a citizens arrest. Citizens arrest powers are here are the same as in many western countries. Simply put, if you witness a crime committed in your presence, you have the right to arrest the person using reasonable force. In addition, a sworn police officers powers (mainly the ability to detain a person such as during field investigation) are extended to private citizens when they are directly ordered by a sworn police officer or when under standing orders and continuous direct supervision. This is why police volunteers, whether foreign or Thai, and private security guards often wear handcuffs, ASP's, and pepper spray. I have also seen non-Royal Thai Police wearing sidearms. I think they were private security but I'm not sure as I didn't recognize the blue uniform or shoulder patch. He was doing traffic in front of Wat Chalong during the festival there.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

I think there are some who undoubtedly perform an excellent job in helping tourists with problems and I have seen situations in Phuket where that has been the case. Unfortunately I have to agree with a lot of you however, the majority are just big boy scouts who like to wear a uniform with handcuffs, walkie talkie and truncheon hanging from their belts. Look at me people I'm so important here!

Not one has a truncheon hanging from their belts, just FYI.

I was up at Phuket City Police station last week regarding a certain problem that doesnt need to be aired here.....no falang volunteer cops there, Perfect English spoken by Thai police officers. In and out in less than 15 mins. I still dont see the need for the volunteers. I would love to hear what the local cops think of these volunteers. I reckon there wouldnt be too much positive feedback. I mean seriously, you reckon the paid Thai cops would like being corrected by volunteer know it alls? One of the biggest no-nos in Thailand is making Thais lose face.

The tall skinny grey haired guy is not a TPV. He is a police assistant and wears the same brown uniform with slightly different shoulder patch. Nothing to do with the tourist police.

The problem is that they don’t have any authority and the rest knows that and therefore totally ignores them and even when they beat up a tourist ( Thai bar touts ) the police volunteers can do shit all.

I have seen a couple occasions where the TPV's saved a tourist from getting a potential bad beating from Thai's. Once they went hands on with a drunk tourist starting problems with pretty much everybody and marched him out of danger. It was a defining moment for me with regard to my feelings towards them.

I find it interesting how much emphasis some people put on "powers" and "authority". FYI, TPV's and all foreign volunteers for that matter, have the same authority as Thai volunteers, which is also the same authority as you, although the TPV's mandate is not to police Thai's and they are instructed accordingly, (a wise decision) they legally could. Despite it's name, you do not need to literally be a citizen to make a citizens arrest. Citizens arrest powers are here are the same as in many western countries. Simply put, if you witness a crime committed in your presence, you have the right to arrest the person using reasonable force. In addition, a sworn police officers powers (mainly the ability to detain a person such as during field investigation) are extended to private citizens when they are directly ordered by a sworn police officer or when under standing orders and continuous direct supervision. This is why police volunteers, whether foreign or Thai, and private security guards often wear handcuffs, ASP's, and pepper spray. I have also seen non-Royal Thai Police wearing sidearms. I think they were private security but I'm not sure as I didn't recognize the blue uniform or shoulder patch. He was doing traffic in front of Wat Chalong during the festival there.

HWPV, TVP, VP are all the same, whether they are wearing black, brown or grey uniforms...any falang doing unpaid work is a volunteer, ..basically taking the food out of a thai families mouths. If there needs to be more cops then pay them. A Swedish Volunteer talking to a russian and then trying to translate to a Thai is a waste of time...let the BIB do their jobs. Even though we as westerners might think they dont know what they are doing...look at the high profile murders and robberies of late....the culprits were nailed in hours. I havent seen the volunteer bigade knocking over the tough cases recently

I think from reading his posts, the OP doesn't like police of any kind, full stop. Try telling us what you have been arrested for in ''your'' past so we can have ''your'' full picture. sad.png

Pretty much every country I have been to I have had encounters with the law.....Im not really one for the nanny state bullshit of my home country and I really enjoy bribing my way out of problems, oh by the way I have lost my licence 3 times in Australia for refusing to blow into the bag, now I just drive there on a Thai licence...drives the local Aussie cops insane...but Im always smiling

I was up at Phuket City Police station last week regarding a certain problem that doesnt need to be aired here.....no falang volunteer cops there, Perfect English spoken by Thai police officers. In and out in less than 15 mins. I still dont see the need for the volunteers. I would love to hear what the local cops think of these volunteers. I reckon there wouldnt be too much positive feedback. I mean seriously, you reckon the paid Thai cops would like being corrected by volunteer know it alls? One of the biggest no-nos in Thailand is making Thais lose face.

I don't think it matters what the Thai cops think. I would assume they wouldn't like the foreign volli's because the foreign volli's understand but frown on the corrupt tea money system in which the Thai police operate, and often the volli's, by doing the work of paid cops for free remove some of the opportunity for the paid cops to get more tea money. Also, many of the volli's have a police background from their home country and actually do have far, far better training in terms of police procedures, law, and tactics. Police here seem to have none of that.

It to your first point, translation services is not the only service the foreign volli's do. There are enough police for the 300,000 people registered in Phuket. Actual low season numbers are double that and in high season we have over a million. They need all the help they can get.

ps. snamos I have always wondered about your avatar. Why Ponch when you clearly have it out for anyone in a uniform?

Edited by NomadJoe

I think from reading his posts, the OP doesn't like police of any kind, full stop. Try telling us what you have been arrested for in ''your'' past so we can have ''your'' full picture. sad.png

Pretty much every country I have been to I have had encounters with the law.....Im not really one for the nanny state bullshit of my home country and I really enjoy bribing my way out of problems, oh by the way I have lost my licence 3 times in Australia for refusing to blow into the bag, now I just drive there on a Thai licence...drives the local Aussie cops insane...but Im always smiling

If your Aus license was suspended you cannot drive on your Thai one in Aus either. Furthermore, if you used your Aus license to get your Thai one while your Aus one was suspended or revoked, then your Thai license is also invalid in Thailand.

Licensing requirements for international visitors

If you are not an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia you are considered to be a temporary overseas visitor. Temporary overseas visitors include:

• Tourists.
  • Business people on limited duration visits.
  • People studying or working temporarily (eg working visa holders) in NSW.

Note: Special arrangements apply for New Zealand citizens. Find out more…

If you are a temporary overseas visitor and hold a current overseas driver licence, you do not have to get a NSW driver licence. You can drive on your current overseas licence as long as:

• You remain a visitor.
  • You have not been disqualified from driving in NSW or elsewhere.
  • You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled, or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.

http://www.rta.nsw.g...ml?llid=tourist

Edited by NomadJoe

I havent seen the volunteer bigade knocking over the tough cases recently

Where did you get the impression that foreign volunteers would be breaking big cases? You have some funny notions of what the volli's mandate is.

Actually, having said that, I do seem to recall TPV Gary Halpin being used by the BIB to lure in some big time crim wanted back home. The guy came to meet Gary and Gary snatched the guys car keys from the ignition and the BIB swooped in.

If your Aus license was suspended you cannot drive on your Thai one in Aus either. Furthermore, if you used your Aus license to get your Thai one while your Aus one was suspended or revoked, then your Thai license is also invalid in Thailand.

Never had a full Aussie licence.I never got passed the provisional period...in fact I could actually learn to fly an airbus A380 in less time than it takes to get an Australian car licence, Nanny state <deleted> again

I went through the Thai system from scratch, I did it like any other first time Thai driver would do. Im not suspended now and I have an international licence issued from Bangkok, sorry to disappoint you my wannabecopbuddy, but im fully legit and have no problem hiring or driving cars in160 countries around the world. And there is nothing anyone can do about it, including the volunteer highway police of Thailand

I don't think it matters what the Thai cops think. I would assume they wouldn't like the foreign volli's because the foreign volli's understand but frown on the corrupt tea money system in which the Thai police operate, and often the volli's, by doing the work of paid cops for free remove some of the opportunity for the paid cops to get more tea money. Also, many of the volli's have a police background from their home country and actually do have far, far better training in terms of police procedures, law, and tactics. Police here seem to have none of that.

It to your first point, translation services is not the only service the foreign volli's do. There are enough police for the 300,000 people registered in Phuket. Actual low season numbers are double that and in high season we have over a million. They need all the help they can get.

ps. snamos I have always wondered about your avatar. Why Ponch when you clearly have it out for anyone in a uniform?

I dont have it out with anyone in uniform.....it was my dream as a kid to be like the guys in the tv show 'chips' after i came to ThailandI relised my dreams could come true and I could actually be a motorbike highway cop

• Like 1

If you are not an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia you are considered to be a temporary overseas visitor. Temporary overseas visitors include:

• Tourists.

If you are a temporary overseas visitor and hold a current overseas driver licence, you do not have to get a NSW driver licence. You can drive on your current overseas licence as long as:

• You remain a visitor.
  • You have not had your licence suspended or cancelled, or your visiting driver privileges withdrawn.

Do you really think I even bothered reading this crap? I saw 'NSW police' and flicked on the page down button....sorry dude couldnt give a flying <deleted>, Ill swing you a bit of credit on your phone and you can ring the shock jocks in Oz, Im sure you will get a few minutes of airtime, but nothing will change

Where did you get the impression that foreign volunteers would be breaking big cases? You have some funny notions of what the volli's mandate is.

Actually, having said that, I do seem to recall TPV Gary Halpin being used by the BIB to lure in some big time crim wanted back home. The guy came to meet Gary and Gary snatched the guys car keys from the ignition and the BIB swooped in.

wow...sounds like a real gumshoe...is that the tall brown haired pom that hangs around with the 15 buddha necklace wearing Swede out the front of Chalong cop shop...seriously thats really embarrassing

• Tourists.

• You remain a visitor.

Do you really think I even bothered reading this crap? I saw 'NSW police' and flicked on the page down button....sorry dude couldnt give a flying <deleted>, Ill swing you a bit of credit on your phone and you can ring the shock jocks in Oz, Im sure you will get a few minutes of airtime, but nothing will change

Nothing will change as you will still be driving illegally in Oz if you " lost your licence 3 times in Australia for refusing to blow into the bag" (what bag are you talking about anyway?)

wow...sounds like a real gumshoe...is that the tall brown haired pom that hangs around with the 15 buddha necklace wearing Swede out the front of Chalong cop shop...seriously thats really embarrassing

So much for "toning down your opinion" eh?

No he is not the guy in Chalong. Here is Gary participating in a beach cleanup. I have meet him a couple times. Seems like a nice chap.

Here is your Chalong Swede, Lars-Göran.

You have repeatedly made the baseless assertion on this thread that the volunteers are taking away a Thai persons job. That simply is not how it works. Your just trying to find any reason to slag them off. Don't you have anything better to do?

I am surprised this topic made it as far as page 4. If it turn into a battle between 2 members then it won't make page 5.

Its up to page 8 now. I dont know why you would want to stop it. Good healthy debate about a phuket related issue. Some strong views but thats good, sometimes the tough issues need to be addressed

I am surprised this topic made it as far as page 4. If it turn into a battle between 2 members then it won't make page 5.

As is the case with many threads on this forum. I wonder if it happens so much on other forums. Injecting a bit of humour, not sarcasm, is fine but the petty bickering designed to bait other members could well be driving people away from TV.

Yeah so why would i need a uniform to do a beach cleanup? I do it every time i go for a stroll or swim there. I dont know what the other youtube flick was about, i watched about 5 seconds of some guy standing next to a motorbike speaking some unidentifiable language.

I would just be interested how many people would take up the 'job' if they didnt have 'police' on written their shirts. Why not refer to these people as 'tourist assistants'?

Yeah so why would i need a uniform to do a beach cleanup? I do it every time i go for a stroll or swim there. I dont know what the other youtube flick was about, i watched about 5 seconds of some guy standing next to a motorbike speaking some unidentifiable language.

I would just be interested how many people would take up the 'job' if they didnt have 'police' on written their shirts. Why not refer to these people as 'tourist assistants'?

You really hate police it seems of all descriptions, tourist assistants was brought up at a meeting when i was a member but the head farang at the time did not like the idea

You would not have a criminal record by any chance?? it certainly sounds like it by your posts

• Like 1

You really hate police it seems of all descriptions, tourist assistants was brought up at a meeting when i was a member but the head farang at the time did not like the idea

You would not have a criminal record by any chance?? it certainly sounds like it by your posts

Read my posts...ive stated that ive only had good experiences with the local police. With a job like mine i am constantly dealing with police, law enforcement and immigration from all over the world. I get background checks before getting visas and landing permits. Never a problem with them.

Read my posts...ive stated that ive only had good experiences with the local police. With a job like mine i am constantly dealing with police, law enforcement and immigration from all over the world. I get background checks before getting visas and landing permits. Never a problem with them.

Drunken driving is a criminal offence in Australia and if you are convicted of it 3 times you lose your license for life unless the rule have changed which i doubt

Is that why you refuse to blow in the bag??

Drunken driving is a criminal offence in Australia and if you are convicted of it 3 times you lose your license for life unless the rule have changed which i doubt

Is that why you refuse to blow in the bag??

Last time was 2004, before the new laws came in, sorry to disappoint Peter. Anyways back to the OP and your previous statements....Im just used to dealing with professionals, and if you dont pay people they could hardly be described as professional

Snamos when traveling around the world all you need is a current passport not a official police clearance from your home country

All immigration officials have a watch list for unsavory people and if you are on it you may not be able to get into a country

Snamos when traveling around the world all you need is a current passport not a official police clearance from your home country

All immigration officials have a watch list for unsavory people and if you are on it you may not be able to get into a country

You speaking from experience here? Try going in on a seamans visa to certain countries, when I go to Singapore or Indonesia, Japan, Korea or china do you reckon I am going in as a tourist? No Im going in like air crew do on planes. Its like a temporary work visa, which require special stamps and or landing permits....but a know it all like yourself would all ready know this right??

Also When I go through Australian ports I require a Maritime Security Identifacation Card or MSIC which is subject to Australian Federal Police background checks. As I said before, I dont have any problem with paid proffessionals

Edited by snamos

So you consider people who do work for organisations like Lions unprofessional because they are not paid

The 3 strikes and your out law existed in Western Australia long before 2004 as far as drunken driving is concerned and you cannot bribe your way out of it unlike some other countries