Update On Licensing Requirements For Tourists In Thailand

Deaw

Actually you were simply lucky, because your USA drivers license is NOT an acceptable form of license. An international license is the only acceptable license.

Rubbish!

Major car rental companies (Budget, Avis and the like) accept foreign licenses from most anywhere. You think they would jeopardise there insurance position by encouraging customers to break the law?

A visitor CAN use his/her drivers license for a limited time!

Sorry, but no.

Have you ever read the rental contract? Sometimes the websites give information, and sometimes they do not. The honest rental franchises are transparent;

Let's look at AVIS; http://www.avisthail..._guide_info.php

Renter Information

- Minimum renter age is 23 years.

- Renter must hold Driving License or International Driving License at least one year.

- Renter must have a valid major credit card.

By driving license they mean a Thai drivers license as stated in the rental contract. That's why the web site states;

Other terms and conditions of the rental are subject to the conditions at the reverse side of Rental Agreement which will be provided upon rental.

Anyone can rent an automobile if they have an accepted credit card and are age 23. Only legally licensed drivers are allowed to drive. Big difference. The rental contract makes reference to a valid Thai license holder or an IDL holder as being legally allowed to drive.

Now let's look at Budget. I like Budget because it is more specific;

Terms and Conditions on the Rental Agreement for Use The wording on the rental agreement for use is as follows:

3) USE RESTRICTIONS: The Vehicle will not be used or operated by anyone:

A. who is not an Authorized Driver;

One then has to go to the master rental agreement because the rental contract states;

Additional Terms and Conditiond for Fastbreak Rentals in Thailand

1.0 About Your Rental Agreement

1.1 The Worldwide Master Rental Agreement made between You and Budget comprises of:

-t he Worldwide Terms and Conditions;

One then has to go look for what is an Authorized driver. Aside from the obligation to declare all drivers there is this nugget;

Who May Drive the Car

• You represent that you are a capable and validly licensed driver. You agree that we have the right to verify that your license has been validly issued and is in good standing; and that we may refuse to rent to you if your license has been suspended, revoked, otherwise restricted in any way, or if your driving record is unsatisfactory to us.

In Thailand, the law is that one must have a valid Thai drivers license. A foreign driver's license is accepted if it is validated by the International Drivers Permit/License.

Do I really need to go through all the rental contracts to prove my point? I am not a member of the Thai bar, but my employers employ professional law firms and in the travel guidelines that are published, the legal counsel position is that foreign driving licenses are only accepted if accompanied by the International attestation that the foreign license is valid at the time of of the IDL issue.

You don't have to believe me, but I caution you of one clause common to all rental contracts; Any false or misleading statement will invalidate the rental contract.

This is obviously your interpretation and comments are yours NOT LAW!

LOOK AT @collectskulls post 25 all renters clearly states Thai OR Current License OR International Permit if the drivers license is not in english.

I would love to be present if you ever rent a car and have an accident to watch you argue with insurance company using the "this is your interpretation" as an argument pointrolleyes.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How and where does one obtain an International Driving Permit? The info I find via Google is confusing and contradictory. I am American with American Driver's License but living in China. I visit Thailand several times each year. Last visit I was surprised to be busted for driving without the IDP. From info gathered via internet, I incorrectly believed that the IDP was not necessary if one's driver's license was already in English.

How and where does one obtain an International Driving Permit? The info I find via Google is confusing and contradictory. I am American with American Driver's License but living in China. I visit Thailand several times each year. Last visit I was surprised to be busted for driving without the IDP. From info gathered via internet, I incorrectly believed that the IDP was not necessary if one's driver's license was already in English.

From the US in your case...guess you need to look at the AAA website as think it them that issues them in the US

what license do you have in China? the Chinese or American?

If you have Chinese, i assume you would need to go to the office which issues drivers license to get the IDP.

You'll have to go back to the USA to get an IDP to use w/ your American license.

Otherwise, you can get a Chinese license and get an IDP for that.

If you're a tourist, your American license should be valid for driving in Thailand for 3 months after you enter Thailand.

what license do you have in China? the Chinese or American?

If you have Chinese, i assume you would need to go to the office which issues drivers license to get the IDP.

If US license...as he said he has then IDP from US

If Chinese license then IDP from China (if they do them, they may not, certainly didnt do them when I worked in China)

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have the American license only. I've been in China for 3 years but do not drive here. Each of my visits to Thailand is less than 3 months so I thought I was OK with just the American license. Maybe it was a bad day for the police officer. He was hostile and aggressive from the beginning - totally without provocation - I was courteous and respectful, totally sober, driving properly, and did not attempt to argue. But I'm still not sure if I was breaking the law or not. Is their an official Thai government site that spells out the law? preferably in English but I can maybe sort it out in Thai.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have the American license only. I've been in China for 3 years but do not drive here. Each of my visits to Thailand is less than 3 months so I thought I was OK with just the American license. Maybe it was a bad day for the police officer. He was hostile and aggressive from the beginning - totally without provocation - I was courteous and respectful, totally sober, driving properly, and did not attempt to argue. But I'm still not sure if I was breaking the law or not. Is their an official Thai government site that spells out the law? preferably in English but I can maybe sort it out in Thai.

This is the closest I can find in English

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT (Thai Law)

Section 42

• Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver licence.
  • The driver must carry the driver licence and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request.
  • This does not apply to those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.
  • If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence specified in the Section 42-2.
  • In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver licence, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

• In case there is a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver licence, an alien who does not have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorised by such a foreign government.

Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you need a Thai drivers licence, even though international driving permits are legally accepted. Several insurance companies have fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after 3 months.

So the question is in your case....does the US have a mutual treaty with Thailand which officially recognises each others licenses...if yes, dont need an IDP, if no then you need an IDP...

One I guess could legally argue that per section 42, if you had a non-immigrant visa the clause under 42.2 could apply as well, as it states specifically an "immigrant" visa not a Non-immigrant visa...

• Like 1

would not be me arguing with them as i use my amex card to rent cars when I do ....so let amex figure it out ..... but seeing as their aggrements plainly say " All drivers must hold a current, non-probationary license. The license may either be Thai, or from a renter's country of residence (with an English translation) or an international drivers permit. Licenses (and a valid passport) must be carried at all times when driving." lets not let facts get in the way..... on a side not, I have an international drivers permit but have never been asked for it only my Canadian one....

This is the closest I can find in English

MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT (Thai Law)

Section 42

• Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver licence.
  • The driver must carry the driver licence and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request.
  • This does not apply to those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.
  • If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence specified in the Section 42-2.
  • In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver licence, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

• In case there is a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver licence, an alien who does not have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorised by such a foreign government.

Once you have been in Thailand for a period extending 3 months, you need a Thai drivers licence, even though international driving permits are legally accepted. Several insurance companies have fine print stating that the driver should hold a valid Thai driving licence to be fully covered after 3 months.

So the question is in your case....does the US have a mutual treaty with Thailand which officially recognises each others licenses...if yes, dont need an IDP, if no then you need an IDP...

One I guess could legally argue that per section 42, if you had a non-immigrant visa the clause under 42.2 could apply as well, as it states specifically an "immigrant" visa not a Non-immigrant visa...

That is a great reference. Can you provide a link? I believe this is what I received from the Highway Police after I emailed a request for clarification on the necessity on IDP's in Thailand but it is in Thai and 145 pages which were scanned so I cannot mechanically translate it or search it. Now that I have the exact sections I can have my helper translate section 42 so see if that is what I have. That section 42-2 is the smoking gun I have been looking for. "an alien who does not have an immigrant visa (I believe this to mean an alien who has a tourist visa or visa exempt stamp but I will see what my translation turns up) may drive a motor vehicle with a driver licence issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association (this is who issues an IDP) authorized by such a foreign government.

The "treaty" between the US and Thailand concerning recognizing each others license is the The Geneva Road Convention of 1949. Licensing laws in the US are up to each individual state, not the federal government, and every state I know of accepts foreign licenses without an IDP. At this link they claim "most all states accept foreign (Indian in this case) licenses "

Examples:

"The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident." -California DMV

Another: "New York State(NYS) recognizes your foreign driver license if you remain a resident of the nation that issued the license. You do not need to have a NYS driver license to drive in NYS unless you become a resident of NYS. You are not required to have an International Driving Permit to drive in NYS" -New York State DMV

Indiana's DMV's website specifically describes the mutual acceptance of drivers licenses: "The United States signed an agreement with many other countries to honor a foreign driver license for visitors to the United States for at least one year from the date of arrival. This privilege is made possible as a result of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (Geneva, 1949), and the Convention on the Regulation of American Automotive Traffic (Washington, 1943), both of which have been ratified by the United States."

UN Geneva Road Convention on Road Traffic 1949 which Thailand signed in 1962 Article 24, section 2 states;

2. A Contracting State may however require that any driver admitted to its territory shall carry an international driving permit.....

So far every single Thai insurance and car rental company I email has emailed be back stating that an IDP is not required to rent or make a claim if in an accident in Thailand.

Edited by NomadJoe

Actually you were simply lucky, because your USA drivers license is NOT an acceptable form of license. An international license is the only acceptable license.

Rubbish!

Major car rental companies (Budget, Avis and the like) accept foreign licenses from most anywhere. You think they would jeopardise there insurance position by encouraging customers to break the law?

Sorry, but no.

Have you ever read the rental contract? Sometimes the websites give information, and sometimes they do not. The honest rental franchises are transparent;

Renter Information

- Renter must hold Driving License or International Driving License at least one year.

By driving license they mean a Thai drivers license as stated in the rental contract. That's why the web site states;

Other terms and conditions of the rental are subject to the conditions at the reverse side of Rental Agreement which will be provided upon rental.

Anyone can rent an automobile if they have an accepted credit card and are age 23. Only legally licensed drivers are allowed to drive. Big difference. The rental contract makes reference to a valid Thai license holder or an IDL holder as being legally allowed to drive.

Terms and Conditions on the Rental Agreement for Use The wording on the rental agreement for use is as follows:

One then has to go to the master rental agreement because the rental contract states;

1.1 The Worldwide Master Rental Agreement made between You and Budget comprises of:

One then has to go look for what is an Authorized driver. Aside from the obligation to declare all drivers there is this nugget;

Who May Drive the Car

• You represent that you are a capable and validly licensed driver. You agree that we have the right to verify that your license has been validly issued and is in good standing; and that we may refuse to rent to you if your license has been suspended, revoked, otherwise restricted in any way, or if your driving record is unsatisfactory to us.

In Thailand, the law is that one must have a valid Thai drivers license. A foreign driver's license is accepted if it is validated by the International Drivers Permit/License.

Do I really need to go through all the rental contracts to prove my point? I am not a member of the Thai bar, but my employers employ professional law firms and in the travel guidelines that are published, the legal counsel position is that foreign driving licenses are only accepted if accompanied by the International attestation that the foreign license is valid at the time of of the IDL issue.

You don't have to believe me, but I caution you of one clause common to all rental contracts; Any false or misleading statement will invalidate the rental contract.

You're really trying to connect dots that don't exist.

"- Renter must hold Driving License or International Driving License at least one year."

That line actually contradicts your argument, as doesn't say "Thai Driving License" just "Drivers License", plus it uses the word "or".

"A foreign driver's license is accepted if it is validated by the International Drivers Permit/License."

What evidence do you have which corroborates this other than foreign embassy and some travel sites which will simply look at who is signatory of the Geneva Road Convention of 1949 and thancopy each other? The Geneva Road Convention of 1949 says that contracting states "may" require IDP's. Thai law only says drivers must be "legally licensed."

I suggest you look at the links in post #25.

Anyway, I have emailed Avis quoting the above text in order to seek clarification on their policy. I am sure I know what the reply will be, if I'm wrong I will eat my hat.

Edited by NomadJoe

when i have rented a bike or car i have never been asked to show my licence to the company i rented from. i have a licence so no problem but i have not been asked to show it

The importance of the right license becomes obvious only in an accident: the insurance will refuse coverage if you do not have a valid IDP.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

No IDP, Means N0 insurance. Happy crashing!

I was lucky enough to watch a Foreigner that had an accident and the insurance agent that came to the site asked him for his license. He handed his licence from his country, agent asked for the IDP also. He didn't have one and life turned really bad for him.

Drive at your own risk!

IDP is also only valid for 6 months at a time in any country, then you need to get a valid license from that country.

I was lucky enough to watch a Foreigner that had an accident and the insurance agent that came to the site asked him for his license. He handed his licence from his country, agent asked for the IDP also. He didn't have one and life turned really bad for him.

Drive at your own risk!

IDP is also only valid for 6 months at a time in any country, then you need to get a valid license from that country.

The bottom line applicable to here is to physically check yourself and making sure you are legally within the law and to the satisfaction of all authorites.

More importantly the insurance company you are paying your premium to, confirm ( In writting ) that they are satisfied with your application, legalities in law and exactly what you are covered for.

If you are not sure and the alledged cover is not verified / clear.... use the public transport and forget it and never take the assurances from the ones you are thinking of hiring from because in lots of cases this is in outright bullshite.

As for the police stops, sadly this is down to the local police authorities and their interpretation of the law.

Again be aware, these roadblocks can be set up and do happen everywhere.

Thai just pay up and go on their way, it is most certainly not a farang only situation so do not think it is.

Consider also that it could cost you millions of baht should you have an accident and you will not be allowed to leave the country until all claims are settled.

While advice offered on the thread is well intended, cross check it just in case updates have been brought in and a quick visit to the local police station will help also.

Stay legal, do not take chances and most of all take care on the roads.

IMHO as always

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

Drive at your own risk!

What language was his home license in?

• Like 1

Stay legal, that is exactly what the discussion is about. Some state IDP is required, others that home license is enough provided it is in English. Personally I think the latter is the case, but would very much like to see this finally proven, so Joe, please hurry with this.

Stay legal, that is exactly what the discussion is about. Some state IDP is required, others that home license is enough provided it is in English. Personally I think the latter is the case, but would very much like to see this finally proven, so Joe, please hurry with this.

Safest way all round...

If a genuine tourist in Thailand.....home license and IDP if you intend to drive during your holiday

If "resident" of Thailand irrespective of your visa type...get a Thai DL

What I find amusing is that people are arguing "points" of law around a document(s) which are neither expensive or hard to get, so one can only conclude they are too lazy to do something properly and the fact is, with very little effort you would not need to be having debates on "points" of law...cos your covered irrespective with both the BIB and insurance if you do have a prang

Oh dear.... the ignorant resorting to name calling so early in the day.

There is no 'International Driving License' or IDL. There is an 'International Driving Permit' or IDP that is issued to be used IN CONJUNCTION with your home country's Driving License (DL) when overseas. The IDP contains the details taken from your domestic DL and does not have any standalone validity in foreign countries and is ILLEGAL to be used in the holders home country.

An IDP is valid for 12 months. A bona fide Tourist can use the IDP in conjunction with their home DL for as long as the IDP is valid. If the foreigner is not a Tourist and spending more than 3 months in Thailand, then they should apply for a Thai DL. Depending on what jurisdiction you live in, the LTO issuing the Thai DL may accept copies of your IDP as part of the application support but they will ALWAYS want copies of your home country's full DL.

Those using expired DL's and divers ID cards.... well, that's nothing new now is it?

I couldn't have said it better. 100% correct.

If you get the international one it's good everywhere not just Thailand , but a Thai licence is easy to get as well.

I also show them an expired ID only card if they ask for a licence and they never say anything about it. But like the other poster said the insurance would not pay out if they didnt want to.

It`s not an international driving licence, it`s an IDP international drivers permit...which should be held along with a current licence from your home country...and i THINK the IDP is only valid for either 3 or 6 months continuous use, (not sure ?) even although it is a 12 month permit from your issuing office....it wont matter much if you are on a non O as you will be doing a border run every 3 months but if you are on an extension for example, i would check that out as an extension you don`t leave thailand only report....

You are a moron ....... their is no such thing as an international permit ...... I said ID card ...... that means idendefication card ............ in order to drive legally in Thailand as a non Thai person you need either an international licence or a Thai one ..... I also said it was expired which means it would be no good whatever it was ....... Were you dropped on your head as a baby ?

It's pretty funny when people get all nasty when they think they are right but actually they are 100% wrong. :D

Reference the 3 or 6 month issue...I hear that popping up now and then. I know it's on some travel and embassy sites, but I'm not sure where people get that. Probably from some other country and they just cut and past because the people making these sites have to make almost the same site like 100 times for every tourist country. Here the rule is if you are a tourist/visitor you can use your home license, if you are a resident you need a Thai DL. That isn't to say that residency can't be established even while you are on a tourist visa or visa exempt stamp, but the burden of proof is on the police.

I am doing some research and will soon post the references which people keep asking me for which will show that a foreign license if in English and with a photo is defined as an "international license" by police, rental companies, and insurance, thus no IDP is required to drive as a tourist in Thailand.

Grossly incorrect, you do not need to do"research" just pick up insurance policy and see the small print where you will find (written in Thai naturally) that the policy covers only the driver with valid local drivers license.

Just a license from your home country in english does not make it an international drivers license,

At some Department of Land and Transportation office when applying for local license, they will not accept it all, and do require an international license.

I have statements from several insurance companies now which all state an IDP isn't needed. The small print will just say "legally licensed to drive in Thailand." If you can provide such a document I would be very interested to see it. I am at a disadvantage as it is impossible to prove it doesn't exist.

In my personal experience I was not asked for an IDP, and others have posted the same. Even a photo was posted of the rules at one LTD, and an IDP is not on the list. A couple of people have reported they were asked for it when wanting to convert their license, but since they both were in possession of one, we don't know what would have happened if they wouldn't have provided it. I bet they would have gone ahead with it. I suspect it went more something like this:

Proud owner of an IDP holds up his IDP, looking for a reason to make himself feel better about wasting money on a useless piece of paper he says "Don't you want this too?" and of course they said yes, as Thai's love their photocopies of documents.

The importance of the right license becomes obvious only in an accident: the insurance will refuse coverage if you do not have a valid IDP.

Incorrect. As I said, I have several responses now from multiple rental and insurance companies which directly contradict you, in addition to reports of people having gone through the process of having an accident on just their home DL's with a rental car with no problems, which is exactly what happened when my father hit a Thai with his rental car and no IDP. I haven't had much time to work on this little project, but I have been sent some great quotes and documents from insurance companies and police sources all pointing to the same conclusion. Once I get everything together I will make a new post and ask the mods to pin it. We will put this issue to bed once and for all.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

Although we are agreed on the current legal requirements and kudos for checking with rental companies for the requirements as viewed by their insurance carrier versus the law. However, this being Thailand, I doubt this will be "put to bed once and for all" as there's always the opportunistic but ignorant, thieving traffic cop as well as changes in legislation that are usually revealed after the fact. Also, you may have the word from the rental cars head office but there's no telling what the oik at the desk where you collect your rental may have been told to ask for.

The best bet is if you are a Tourist and have the time and resources to get an IDP in your home country, get one. If you are some form of resident here, make the effort and get the TDL.

Be happy they did not ask you to see your passport. You must carry it at all times and they could see if you were here over 30 days and need a Thai drivers license. In 10 years I have only been ask to show mine once, but luckily did have it with me that day. 99% of the time I do not.

But anyone here really more than a fdew weeks holiday, or those who come here often, Should take the time to go get one.

While a little off topic but also equally important for those hiring / renting a vehicle ect.

It has been mentioned many times but one more time won,t hurt never leave your passport with anyone..a copy is and should be O.K. at all times.

If they insist on keeping it, go elsewhere.

Do the copy yourself before hiring and also keep a copy with you when out and about to back up your legally required driving license.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

I have been stopped by the Thai police on a couple of other occassions and they asked to see my passport (fortunately I had it with me) but did not ask for my driver's license.

I visit Thailand a few times per year, have a steady gf there and plan to retire there in 4 or 5 years. I would be very happy to get a Thai Driver's License. Is it possible for someone visiting only on tourist status to obtain a Thai driver's license? or another way to get the license?

Be happy they did not ask you to see your passport. You must carry it at all times and they could see if you were here over 30 days and need a Thai drivers license.

Not true, you don't need to have it with you at all times. You need to be able to produce it within a reasonable time, so e.g. for a tourist having it at the hotel in the safe and being able to collect does suffice.

• Like 2

Rubbish!

Sorry, but no.

Renter Information

Who May Drive the Car

I hired a bike some year's ago in Pattaya and the agreement stated most of the above + in the small print that all were insured but not the driver/renter. When I pointed it out reply same same but not same but it ok. Did I hire the bike sure because they didn't want to see any of my paper work. Up to them as they say or something like that.