Good Lesson: Why We Don'T Wear Sandals.

I must admit I'm lax when it comes to local riding and safety gear. I usually only put on all my gear if it's a day ride out of the city. Just down to the shops it's usually just some shorts, t-shirt and sandals.

Last week was cruising along around 80-90kph when suddenly there was a massive bang, the whole bike violently lost control and a sledge hammer hit my right big toe on a full swing.

It took a few seconds to get the bike under control and luckily it stayed upright. On one of the final wobbles (wobble doesn't really do it justice) my cheap (400thb) fake koso mirror on the right hand side flew off, so the bike got a hell of jolt.

Not knowing <deleted> happened I took the next u-turn with my foot spraying blood and the bike without its right mirror.

Passing the scene there was a local guy picking up two rocks from the outside lane I was in, they looked like granite or some sort of hard rock and were presumably dropped from some lorry.

I didn't even see them anyway.

One week later:

Rim:

images...5/85339805.jpg/

RHS lower fairing:

images...1/27822164.jpg/

After one week of healing:

imageshack.us...8/30005932.jpg/

That afternoon was shopping time for some hard slip on shoes.

Non-serious lessons are good.

Seems Thaivisa doesn't like imageshack photos when put into their image tags.

Edited by EmptyBasementBin
Fixed URLs

Rock was on the road.

If one of your mirrors AND your foot was hit than there must be more than one rock "flying around". Good to hear you are OK.

Yes, i never wear sandals at speeds above 70kmh (on the scooter). And i may will look for some "Motor Sandal" (with some toe protection) after reading this story. Good idea. I really should do it rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry but I just don't get the shorts and sandals brigade. On my Ducati Monster I always wear kevlar jeans, mesh jacket, gloves, boots and an Arai full face helmet. I wore the same gear when I had my Vespa 300 GTS. Even in the past when I didn't own the proper gear I would always wear at least jeans, denim jacket, gloves, boots and a full face helmet. At the end of the day I'd rather sweat than end up with horrific injuries.

I always wear boots when riding,long pants,jacket,gloves.People just don't know what will eventually things will go wrong.

I believe the more experience that ya get thru the years ya realize you will get hurt.

I always wear boots when riding,long pants,jacket,gloves.People just don't know what will eventually things will go wrong.

I believe the more experience that ya get thru the years ya realize you will get hurt.

+1. Have been glad I did, too.

You can wipeout 100 meters out of your driveway. Seen that when my neighbor hit a dog. Got scraped up badly. Luckily no head injuries, though she wasn't wearing a helmet. That was a few years ago. Ironically yesterday I saw her husband limping down the street w/ bandages all over one side. He does wear a helmet but no protective clothing, just sandals, short sleeves, short pants.

If you wait long in a Pattaya hospital waiting room, not uncommonly you'll see farangs wearing shorts etc. w/ scraped and injured legs, arms, and feet.

Can't imagine wearing sandals. I see a farang wearing those, I think, "well, it's just a matter of time for that idiot." Never mind the Thais . . . .

Edited by JSixpack

For high speeds I always wear full gear (except the Kevlar jeans - just too uncomfortable). But on local trips to 7/11 etc just a helmet until recently BUT a few months ago I was doing 5kph and got hit from behind by a young cowboy on a striped down 100cc pile of junk. I lost a bit of skin off the top of my foot, cleaned it up at home. 3 days later I made a emergency trip to Dr as my foot suddenly swelled to twice normal size. Ended up on 3 different anti-biotics and lucky not to lose my foot. I now wear Keens even for the 7/11.

• Like 1

All you guys who say they always wear full gear. Do you never take a loop around the block to get a thing or 2 from 7-11?

Somehow I think you are all being a bit self righteous.

Personally. I always were jeans. Shoes or trainers and helmet and gloves if I'm just nipping round the corner I dont wear my jacket. But any longer distance then I do.

I dont know about others.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

All you guys who say they always wear full gear. Do you never take a loop around the block to get a thing or 2 from 7-11?

Somehow I think you are all being a bit self righteous.

Not at all. If it's a block or two, I'll just walk. But I'll still wear jeans and light hiking boots comfortable for walking or riding. I've pretty much gotten out the sandals habit. Walking in Thailand can be hazardous as well! I've avoided many a stubbed toe; and the time I slipped and fell on a wet slanted curb, my injuries were much less severe. You'll note, FWIW, that most Thai men wear long pants most of the time as well.

On the bike, I just add a jacket and helmet. Always. I'll not put on the gloves if it's a very short trip because I don't want to just take them right off again. I can wear the jacket if I'm just going to pop in and out. Otherwise I'll stow it.

When I first moved to Thailand, I looked and acted like a tourist as well. I learned.

get well soon for you too! Nowadays, i hear lot's of accidents man.

I do not understand either how come a stone broke your mirror, scratch your wheel and fairing and nearly remove your nails off at the same time.

I never drive a geared bike with a sandal or flip flop even if i am driving it on an island full of beaches. Besides, the shoes, boat whatever you are wearing, they might fit your foot like skin, not even a centimetre of feet movement otherwise, you might get your nails removed even if you are wearing boats!

A couple of times, i got my nails removed as well long years ago and lesson taken those young times already.

I'll still wear jeans and light hiking boots comfortable for walking

You wear jeans and hiking boots just for walking to the 7?!?

You must have the sweatiest testicles on the planet.

I never have any complaints. :)

If that's your worry, you may first spray on some rubbing alcohol to kill all bacteria. Give it 30 sec to dry, then powder yourself.

Me, I've been working out regularly for the past 35 years and have, in the past, run several marathons plus many road races, so heat and sweat don't much bother me. I love this climate. But I don't love road rash, bruises, contusions, or blood, esp. my own. :)

after a very long search, I finally found shoes I can actually wear day to day - they're not as good as real full on protective boots, but they do have some reinforcements at the ankles and such. looking good and not too hot.

a_3277_b.jpg

(i have the denim version)

Recently wiped out on the Pai road - oil slick on wet road, rear wiped out then caught grip again at a weird angle and I got flipped up like a pancake and ended up sliding along the road, on my back, and headfirst.

Bit my tongue, unfortunately, if not for that I'd have been completely unharmed thanks to mesh pants, jacket, helmet, and SIDI street burner boots. Tongues heal very fast though, it's amazing, I had a huge gash, 2 hours of pain later it was almost completely healed. Without gear - man that would have been a different story.