Vacation In Koh Samui

Hi, we are going on vacation to Koh Samui on the 25th July. We live in Bangkok but never been to any of the islands.

We will land in Surat tani at appx 5pm.

Could someone let me know what is the best way to get from there to Samui? bus, boat?

Also, could you recommend which beach is nice for a mother and two teenagers? and a nice hotel on the beach, not too pricy though?

Thank you for any sort of information!

Teenagers can get quite bored as Samui for then is a place they would prefer to visit without their parents

As for not too expensive but nice quality beach

You get what you pay for

If u want nice quality then you have to remember that Samui is an island Andmore expensive than Bangkok

It is a lovely island there is do

Etching to do for everyone

I would recommend renting acar as u might get a taxi shock be cheaper to rent a car and u have more freedom maybe send your kids on diving coasters not the 12 year old though

Also koh Tao is a nice tropical get away

Try some of the spas on the island that Samui is famous for

Teenagers can get quite bored as Samui for then is a place they would prefer to visit without their parents

As for not too expensive but nice quality beach

You get what you pay for

If u want nice quality then you have to remember that Samui is an island Andmore expensive than Bangkok

It is a lovely island there is do

Etching to do for everyone

I would recommend renting acar as u might get a taxi shock be cheaper to rent a car and u have more freedom maybe send your kids on diving coasters not the 12 year old though

Also koh Tao is a nice tropical get away

Try some of the spas on the island that Samui is famous for

Thanks a million. You just hit my next question as to what is there nice to do!

Could you name one or two hotels on the beach, and should I book in advance or just drop in?

With the transfer times I have seen lately with my customers landing at Surat airport, there is no way you are going to make it to Samui the same night.

The last ferry leaves at 7pm, and it is not going to happen.

With the transfer times I have seen lately with my customers landing at Surat airport, there is no way you are going to make it to Samui the same night.

I just took a look at the tickets. We will land at 3:25pm.

Does that leave enough time for the boat?

Yes, no problem.

Yes, no problem.

Thanks

I was down fishing at the west end of Maenam beach yesterday, (west of Lomprayah ferry) .... there had to be at least 100 people sun bathing and swimming on the beach..... (between 4 and 6 pm..... I'm sure there would have been more earlier!

When driving home I was quite surprised how many tourists were walking the streets.... and some of the restaurant were quite full,...... all age groups including teenagers and toddlers.... this was late afternoon when the full Lomprayah ferry arrived around 5 pm +-

Lomprayah ferry route provides a good opportunity for a scenic trip, landing at Koh Toa, Koh Phengan and views of various other islands after leaving Chumpon.... It's a long trip out of BKK, but the most scenic of the ferry rides.... less time on the bus too!

Some parts of Maenam beach get a bit of a bad rip for swimming, but it's a huge beach the part the is not so good for swimming is the area at the end of Soi 4 in Maenam, where sewage is flowing openly some times... bah.gif but the rest of it is pretty darn good!.... as is the next beach west at Ban Tai, but a little too quite perhaps for teenagers?

As for arriving at Surat airport, I am pretty certain that there would be buses sitting out side to get people to the ferry by 7 pm.... wink.png I am not 100 % certain about that though... but remember in January waiting for a 4 pm or so flight, there were buses leaving for the ferry.

In the link Rob Samui gave, it mentions a few nice resorts which would be on the other side of the Lomprayah ferry terminal.... thumbsup.gif

post-85461-0-04288700-1343004842_thumb.j

post-85461-0-68962100-1343005009_thumb.j

Edited by Rooo
Spelling error lol. It's rip not rape.

Spend the night in Suritthani.Take the bus to Dunsak in the morning get the Raja ferry.

If u spend the night in surat try 100 islands hotel very good value for money about 600 to 890 per night

I can make it to the boat in time if your flight is not delayed or cancelled

I would book online with agoda

For the first few nights at least

Spend the night in Suritthani.Take the bus to Dunsak in the morning get the Raja ferry.

As a new comer to Koh Samui I am not familiar with "Dunsak" and "Raja ferry". Is the first one a town? and if so is it worthwhile visiting? and what is the Raja ferry? is it different from the regular ferry?

What's your budget?

Yea it would be easier to help if we know your budget specially for hotels

I wouldn't want to spend more than 1,000 tb a night. i understand that restaurant are quite pricy there.

Havn't made any reservation yet, would that be a problem? leaving on Wed.

""I wouldn't want to spend more than 1,000 tb a night. i understand that restaurant are quite pricy there.

Havn't made any reservation yet, would that be a problem? leaving on Wed.""

In my experience reservation before arrival always cheaper, but ofcourse there are exception!

As a new comer to Koh Samui I am not familiar with "Dunsak" and "Raja ferry". Is the first one a town? and if so is it worthwhile visiting? and what is the Raja ferry? is it different from the regular ferry?

if your on the bus from the airport depends which one the bus goes to but i would 100% in your situation get the Seatran as it drops you in Nathon and transportation onwards is way better than lipa noi (Raja).

I always used the Wang Thai in surat about 700 baht per night and good location. Expect the ride of your life on the airport to the ferry bus, the airport is out of Surrat and to 100kms to ferry port. Guess after leaving plane to getting on bus 2 1/2 hours for the trip. for me never in a million years would i take that trip, i did it a few times for trains, never again, just have to drive like maniacs even when theres no rush.

Nathon is worth a trip for a day thats about it really.

i was there a few months ago and made booking through agoda waiting for the ferry using aircard all worked well but obviously first timer i would check site beforehand.

Donsak is just a port where ferries go from nothing there, its on the mainland. raja ferries tend to be rejected from china about 10 years before the seatran ones, so sea tran more comfortable.