Thailand - Land Of Smiles Or Tourist Trap?

webfact

I agree with toenail, although he could have picked a better user name ! Ive lived in Thailand for 7 years now and having been the Pattaya fool for the first few years ive learnt all about the 'land of smiles'.

Its a dangerous place once you leave your home, driving ,for those of you who have a vechile and travel, is madness, i reckon half the thais do not have driving licences, and the deterrant if caught, a small fine !

Not only that, they have no regard for the safety of their kids, they let them play at the side of the roads, what parent is like this ?

They ignore red lights and cause horrendous accidents, and never seem to pay a severe penalty for causing it ie; manslaughter and a jail sentence, .

Oh yes and Phuket, i was mugged there some four years ago, late afternoon, by three young thais, they had spotted my fake rolex watch and fpllowed me untill i was in a quiet area off patong beach, the police basically did'nt believe me !

Yea guys the land of what ?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf one day, beach the next day ... NIVARANA!! Pattaya is a Golf Mecca! Could be better, if the caddies could learn basic golf terminology ... I mean after 2 years caddying, one should know just about everything there is to know about golf. The best caddy I ever employed, was a 16 year old Thai Gal, who spoke excellent English. She actually played golf herself and her parents were English Teachers. Unfortunately she only came to the course when they were short staffed.

coffee1.gif

Land Of Smiles, only if your wallet is out and your doing the smiling.

Miracle Thailand, the only miracle here is that the BIB are the biggest mafia second only to the government. Most of the problems go wawy if people do their jobs instead of looking for the quick buck, or tea money. The true slogan should be, Thailand, land of corruption and police scams.

Golf one day, beach the next day ... NIVARANA!! Pattaya is a Golf Mecca! Could be better, if the caddies could learn basic golf terminology ... I mean after 2 years caddying, one should know just about everything there is to know about golf. The best caddy I ever employed, was a 16 year old Thai Gal, who spoke excellent English. She actually played golf herself and her parents were English Teachers. Unfortunately she only came to the course when they were short staffed.

coffee1.gif

I completely disagree. I play the cheapest course in Chonburi. The caddies know the course, the greens, and if I listen to them I score well. The only problem is because of its location they don't speak English well. I'm lucky to speak very good golf course Thai. What are you comnplaining about? Your game sucks and so do the caddies. I have played all around the world and most places don't have caddies. You have to play the game yourself, without help.

I agree - the numbers are up but is the quality of holiday still there?

These young college kids seem to think all of their "Dreams can come true" in Soi Bangla Phuket.

Awesome filmclip promoting Soi Bangla and Phuket's crazy nightlife.

There is only one Thailand and with all its flaws and faults it will continue to draw tourists because no other Souteast Asian nation delivers so much "Culture Shock"in one punch. It's a heady mix compared to the stilted experiences on offer in Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia and Philippines. Seasoned travelers seem drawn back like moths to the flame...

You can't have the seeming chaos without some real danger... but for some this just adds to the experience.

I agree - the numbers are up but is the quality of holiday still there?

These young college kids seem to think all of their "Dreams can come true" in Soi Bangla Phuket.

There is only one Thailand and with all its flaws and faults it will continue to draw tourists because no other Souteast Asian nation delivers so much "Culture Shock"in one punch. It's a heady mix compared to the stilted experiences on offer in Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia and Philippines. Seasoned travelers seem drawn back like moths to the flame...

You can't have the seeming chaos without some real danger... but for some this just adds to the experience.

I've seen more life in a used condom ... hardly any people about plus bars are empty like everywhere eles ..

This is very true. The TAT continues to perpetrate this fiction, that the industry is doing very well, almost as if we will believe them, and everything will be grand. But, on Koh Samui businesses are dying left and right. New ones continue opening, as they remember the glory days. But, they are not doing well. Everyone I talk to in restaurants, bars, go-go bars, hotels, etc., in Bangkok, Samui, and Pattaya say the same thing. Business is way down. Occupancy is way down. Who should we believe? A corrupt, unethical, government agency with an agenda, or someone trying to make a living in the real world?

• Like 1

I went to Pattaya in June to meet a friend (41 years old and single)over on holiday for the seventh year in a row.Personally I think Pattaya is a sh@thole but something keeps drawing him back.I wonder what!

I must be the food.

It is a tourist trap if you go to the tourist areas, otherwise it is the Land of Smiles. Go discover the real Thailand?

Well, the "real" Thailand does not have facilities to accomodate the tourists Thailand seeks. Most of those tourists do not want to spend any time in the "real" Thailand as that would necessitate staying in accomodations without beach access, and without the amenities of the typical hotel found in the EU/Aus/North America. Do you really think the tourists would come if they were obliged to sh*t in a hole and use a bum gun etc? The real Thailand includes alot of impoverished regions. What would you like? Bus tours to stare at the poor farmers? How about a visit to a refugee camp where the tourists can take photos with the sick? Perhaps a visit to an Aids hospice to see some of the thousands dying? How about Pattani and Yala? That's part of the "real" Thailand too.

The fact of the matter is that Thailand promotes itself as a beach vacation destination and that's what the majority of tourists want. Do really think the typical visitor in high season is leaving -30C frigid weather to go and hang out in Issan or Chiang Rai with the mosquitos etc? Please don't lose sight of what the majority of tourists want after working all year and saving up for a vacation: They want to relax and sit and get some sun. They want to play golf etc. Parents want a beach that is safe and clean for their kids.

Correct post even tough, working myself in Hotel business and not by the beach.

I am based in Sukhothai and we get another tourism.... True it is an older clientele but I believe that there is a just middle between "shit in a hole" and "beach acess".....

By promoting the "beach-bitch" Thailand concept, you harvest what you plant.....( party, sex, drugs...... crime....)

I feel there is more to Thailand than just the bitch......

But again, im not holding my breath with TAT "miracle-Amazing" Thailand....

• Like 2

I went to Pattaya in June to meet a friend (41 years old and single)over on holiday for the seventh year in a row.Personally I think Pattaya is a sh@thole but something keeps drawing him back.I wonder what!

The big draw in Pattaya, for tourists is the sex. It is that simple. Why else would you want to visit? I could see the draw for ex-pats, as there is a huge ex-pat community, very good, competitively priced services (totally unlike Samui), a lot to do if you are into water sports, and golf, and a decent standard of living. Plus, access to a major international airport where you can find very competitive fares (again unlike Samui, and the Bangkok Airways mafia). But, what percentage of tourists come here, who have no interest in the sex being offered? 10%, to 20%?

• Like 1

Also , least we forget, what was the outcome of the two sisters who were poisoned on Pipi, what about the two tourists a month or so before, what are Embassies doing, if Thias were abroad and this sort of thing happening to them, do you not think they would take some action.

Oh sorry maybe they would'nt bother as well !

The truth is getting out there, what Thailand did'nt realise was the power of the written word, and that people do blog twitter, etrc and even write books.

Theve had a good run for a few years and thought it would continue with minimal input from the Govt, for peoples safety and the revenues would continue to make them wealthy, it would have but cant because of the greed that exists which corrupts them and makes them loose their smiles !!

Why is this awesome? Bangla is an embarrassment. I walk that street regularly and it is terribly sad to see the old guys sitting in the bars early in the day drinking. Coming home at night I pass the McD with the drunkards being rude, sloppy and littering. I see the usual altercations between the hookers and their johns,and the arguments with the tuk tuks. Never a cop to be seen to protect the tourists.

Have you ever looked into the faces of the assorted prostitutes and touts that work that strip? As much as I despise them, I still have pity and compassion for them. Women well past their prime and that have aged beyond their years work the bars and everyone is exploited by the entrenched oligarchy that controls the strip. It's all about people chasing a dream and losing their money, and their dignity. Hardly anything to celebrate. It's nice to see once or twice, but that's it. The bars are loud, the clubs suck and it attracts the lowest of the low that prey on the visitors.

Agree completely. I'm a classic farang in Thailand...in my early 60s, no money problems, in good health, etc. But, I do not and will not fall into the trap of serial sex with beautiful young Thai women; or pay for one Thai girlfriend. Why? because it is fake, it ain't real...it's just an image. I can not think of anything more lonely or desperate than going to a foreign country with a difficult language and culture to have superficial sex with someone half/one-third my age. It is phony and fraught with the moral hazards already mentioned.

So, what do you do in your spare time, then?

• Like 1

It is a tourist trap if you go to the tourist areas, otherwise it is the Land of Smiles. Go discover the real Thailand?

Well, the "real" Thailand does not have facilities to accomodate the tourists Thailand seeks. Most of those tourists do not want to spend any time in the "real" Thailand as that would necessitate staying in accomodations without beach access, and without the amenities of the typical hotel found in the EU/Aus/North America. Do you really think the tourists would come if they were obliged to sh*t in a hole and use a bum gun etc? The real Thailand includes alot of impoverished regions. What would you like? Bus tours to stare at the poor farmers? How about a visit to a refugee camp where the tourists can take photos with the sick? Perhaps a visit to an Aids hospice to see some of the thousands dying? How about Pattani and Yala? That's part of the "real" Thailand too.

The fact of the matter is that Thailand promotes itself as a beach vacation destination and that's what the majority of tourists want. Do really think the typical visitor in high season is leaving -30C frigid weather to go and hang out in Issan or Chiang Rai with the mosquitos etc? Please don't lose sight of what the majority of tourists want after working all year and saving up for a vacation: They want to relax and sit and get some sun. They want to play golf etc. Parents want a beach that is safe and clean for their kids.

Good post!!!thumbsup.gifwai.gif

"The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) think numbers are going up so people must like it here, but the problem is the quality of their visit has gone down,"

He's got it in one. They keep on coming in greater numbers. So what's the problem?

It's a top down approach of ordered chaos directed by government officials who are all on the take from the PM down to the bent bobbies on the beat. They create a wonderful edgy atmosphere that tourists love. You never know when a knife is going to explode into your guts over a dispute about 20 baht or when you will be clubbed off your motorbike by a gang of billy club wielding 14 year olds who need your wallet and your phone.

• Like 2

You know how many Lonely men are on this Planet? Just where else can they go for a nice Massage--Great weather--Good food--Premium Golf courses--And the Nightly Entertainment? What other countries offer all this at a reasonable Price?

Just name a single country that is Perfect? None that I know of.......

Hey leave Issan alone.. best place in Thailand!!!!!

• Like 2

Why is this awesome? Bangla is an embarrassment. I walk that street regularly and it is terribly sad to see the old guys sitting in the bars early in the day drinking. Coming home at night I pass the McD with the drunkards being rude, sloppy and littering. I see the usual altercations between the hookers and their johns,and the arguments with the tuk tuks. Never a cop to be seen to protect the tourists.

Have you ever looked into the faces of the assorted prostitutes and touts that work that strip? As much as I despise them, I still have pity and compassion for them. Women well past their prime and that have aged beyond their years work the bars and everyone is exploited by the entrenched oligarchy that controls the strip. It's all about people chasing a dream and losing their money, and their dignity. Hardly anything to celebrate. It's nice to see once or twice, but that's it. The bars are loud, the clubs suck and it attracts the lowest of the low that prey on the visitors.

Agree completely. I'm a classic farang in Thailand...in my early 60s, no money problems, in good health, etc. But, I do not and will not fall into the trap of serial sex with beautiful young Thai women; or pay for one Thai girlfriend. Why? because it is fake, it ain't real...it's just an image. I can not think of anything more lonely or desperate than going to a foreign country with a difficult language and culture to have superficial sex with someone half/one-third my age. It is phony and fraught with the moral hazards already mentioned.

So, what do you do in your spare time, then?

Wait a minute here...I thought this thread was about LOS being either

"LOS" or Tourista Trap? Hey Ok...I'm hip...it a bit OT but what the heck

...here goes & I hope it fly's...

Bit of history first...back in 1983 sitting on Patong Beach having just

drove drown from BKK I was reading vol 1 of Hitchikers Guide to the

Galaxy and laughing so hard that the BIB in their Japanese p/u truck

stopped and this one copper came up to me and asked me...in very

good Thailish...."You OK?" Laughing hysterically I replied something

like "Yeah...it's the book" He had a look...smiled...then returned to the

little Japanese p/u truck and he & his buddy drove off....laughtng about

as hard as I was. Back then the BIB's trucks were the same colour

they are today basic off white with brown on em...FYI that.

Back then there was no ATM on/in Patong...if one needed money one

hopefully brought with them enough dosh to last em through their Non

Imm "O" visa (90 days). Or you came over for a short stay, opened a

bank account, had some fun, left again and returned with the facilities

in hand to have ones bank abroad TT money to ones Thai bank on

a regular basis...say monthly...along with an "O" visa.

If one ran outta money...one ran outta money....that was that. Then one

usually left somehow...Times were tough back then. But the girls were

friendly, the food was good, the beach uncrowded etc...etc. Yes there

were scams...mainly jeep and motorbike scams in Patong and they

were usually nothing more than a nuisance. Admittedly I had one

problem so I bought the Suzuki RM400 Enduro bike, had it fixed

and continued having fun. Sold it when I left to a nice lad who liked

to do wheelies along Patong Beach Road.

As the years went by things changed and so have I. I left Phuket when

Club Med came to the island in mid 85. Returned for a while in the mid

90's and left again and returned again in the 21st century. I wasn't all

that shocked to see what a once idyllic tropical island with a nice bunch

of beaches turned into...I was expecting worse. Heck...I remember

Northern Mexico as a neat place to holiday and Baja a neat place to go surfing....look at what that place has turned into today...utter Hell on

Earth for everybody there. So to me LOS ain't that bad.

I also spent some time in Bosnia in the 90's for work...that was Hell

on Earth back then too...snipers taking pot shots with fatal results ain't

really my idea of workplace safety....LOS of today is still much better in comparison.

OK enough...been there...chewed that...threw most of it up while the remainders stayed down...learned some stuff..taught some stuff...and

realised an old military habit still stands the test of time...

Situational Awareness.

Stay aware...stay safe...the world still turns...people are born...people

die. Things will change...can't avoid that.

But Jawnie...do you burp the worm a lot?

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 2

My experince has been nothing but great. First when stationed at Okinawa ad coming here working with the border patrol, and other ops, usually ending up in Pataya for some fun and relaxation. Later as a civilian, some changes for sure years later, but still have never had an issue with any creeps. But have always kept my wits about me, and look over my sholder as a habit. To me, Thailand is no diferent then anywhere else I have been regarding safety, and if we are not careful and stray from know haunts, alone (and unarmed), and look like prey, then we can expect to be prey.

Last time in Chaing Mai (My preference over Bkk, to crazy for me now that I am older), the worst part was all the tourist (most Aussies, and that's fine), but I hate when I can't get a deal, or they wont even deal with you (market) because they are paying top dollar or better. I love it here too cause it is cheap, and that's what makes it such a big tourist destination....the fact that everything is cheap!!

If you think otherwise, just raise the prices like that of Hawaii or Southern France and see how many people head to Nam, or Laos.

That being said, Thais are some of the freindliest people I have met, and I have traveled a lot. Plus the places I have been are never tourist destinations, and those to me are the best places.

• Like 2

The key to living in Thailand is to stay away from all the blatant tourist places, scams, and criminal activity. Enjoy the village life, the food, etc. I have seen a definite bit by bit deteriation since 1972 of the Thailand it used to be. The culture is also starting to decline in importance to many Thais too.

Want it rolled, stick to the tourist areas (traps). Want to enjoy Thailand stick to other areas of Thailand. There is a big difference between the slicksters of the city and the hard working farmers in the village.

Edited by Lifer