What Makes The Open So Special?

Bagwan

Well for sure it wasn't the TV coverage. The camerawork was poor as I couldn't follow the ball flight some of the time, surprising since the BBC provided the pictures and they used to be excellent, and there were far too many advert breaks showing the same old tired crap about an expensive bauble that told you the time and valued by poseurs, a car that few could afford or I guess even want, and then there was an inane load of Bollo**s from Colgate. They've been churning out new improved versions that kill what they term germs for over 70 years and still dentists do a roaring trade. To cap it all they brag about a mouthwash which merely underlines what a load of BS they spout about their toothpaste. Then we had to put up with the self promotion of ESPN telling us that the Olympics are soon to be thrust upon us, as if we didn't have program guides to look up to see what was on. Same old rubbish every ten minutes. I'm glad I decided after the football fiasco that UBC or True or whatever they're calling themselves this week can have their box back at the end of the month.

Rant over.

Oh! I forgot. Well done Ernie, a giant of a man in every way.

• Like 1

If we have to explain it to you, you surely wouldn't understand

I surely don't understand your response. Are you defending the crappy TV coverage or have you mistaken my rant as being directed at the greatest and most prestigious golf tourrnament in the World which is always played on links courses that are a great test of golfing expertise and have years of history attached to them?

I notice that you use the Royal 'we'. Are you a member of Betty Windsor's family or would it be beyond your capabilities to explain all on your own?

• Like 1

Ernie Els must be the Patron Saint of Bookmakers after that. They must have cleaned up what with the Tiger Woods disciples lumping on on the last day,the patriots who put there hand in their pockets for a McDowell win and,worst of all,the 'chalk eaters' diving in and taking large odds on and trying to buy money on Adam Scott over the last six holes.They will coyly say that it was a good Open for them but,deep inside,they will be doing cartwheels.

Other than Nick Faldo and,to a degree, Wayne Grady,I thought the standard of commentating was poor.We had the usual worshipping at the altar of Tiger Woods with comments like "Isn't it fascinating to watch Tiger practice on the putting green?". To be honest,no,I would rather be watching the action on the course,thanks. Golf commentators are the best when it comes to telling us what someone SHOULD have done AFTER the event so I had to laugh when one of them remarked that the weathermen got it wrong and were"very good at predicting the weather after it's happened". Yeah,very droll.

At least you guys got to see the golf.

I don't have True or any other form of pay television as I live in the sticks (60km out of Ratchaburi).

So what company provided the best coverage?...........or was it all relayed from BBC?

I am soooooo missing my golf on TV........I am even happy to watch the golf channel whenever I am in the big city...Hua Hin, but don't really know which company provides it out here in the sticks.

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers.

• Like 1

At least you guys got to see the golf.

I don't have True or any other form of pay television as I live in the sticks (60km out of Ratchaburi).

So what company provided the best coverage?...........or was it all relayed from BBC?

I am soooooo missing my golf on TV........I am even happy to watch the golf channel whenever I am in the big city...Hua Hin, but don't really know which company provides it out here in the sticks.

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers.

Ping me next time and I'll make sure you have a working stream to tap in to...

Check this one out until then: http://www.wiziwig.tv/competition.php?part=sports&discipline=golf

You can check out the Senior British Open this weekend!

Cheers

F

Edited by Forethat

Thanks "Forethat", unfortunately all I have is an AIS aircard and is as slow as a wet week, so for me to watch something live, or streamed is nay impossible.

for example,for me to watch 1 minute of youtube, takes 15 minutes to download.

Plus I'm not the brightest spark when it comes to new technology etc........I still know how to use a slide-rule.

• Like 1

Ernie Els must be the Patron Saint of Bookmakers after that. They must have cleaned up what with the Tiger Woods disciples lumping on on the last day,the patriots who put there hand in their pockets for a McDowell win and,worst of all,the 'chalk eaters' diving in and taking large odds on and trying to buy money on Adam Scott over the last six holes.They will coyly say that it was a good Open for them but,deep inside,they will be doing cartwheels.

My money was on Thongchai, too bad he had a pain in the neck. :(

My money was on Thongchai, too bad he had a pain in the neck. sad.png

Blimey,you were going for the crown jewels there! Thongchai did as well as I expected him to do.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I think the official website is extraordinary. 10p from this jury...

Yes, think it's good too. Clear and concise leaderboard right down to the dregs at the bottom unlike the BBC and Skysports irritating "and selected others". Golf commentators,especially the Yanks,do descend somewhat to arse licking, in that half asleep,spaced out boring droll of theirs. And do they like to be right AFTER the event or what? Example: 'Both majors this year have been won by the two players with the best swings in the game'. Is that a fact ? (although Ernie Els would have a good argument against that statement)well, if it's that easy to predict,then these two should go on winning throughout the season...right?