How To Say "Common" (Like Slightly Vulgar Or Bad Taste)

cheeryble

Common

Like coloured toilet paper.

Like extra chrome bits on a Mercedes.

Like a wedding dress with too much glitter.

Like wearing big gold amulets on a chain.

Like so called hiso being loso and not acknowledging being served with a polite "thankyou".

Cannot find this meaning in the dic....

Any good way to say?

Edited by cheeryble

Sa-mun is "common", as in plain, ordinary, without a feudal or royal title, but that's not the word you're looking for. I wouldn't even use "common" in English for the examples you gave.

Chuut-chaat is "gaudy" or "garish", which is a much better fit, I think. You could also try kee-oh, which is something like "showy", or "flashy".

If you're not keen on gaudy, though, I don't think Thailand's the place for you... laugh.png

(Sorry for no Thai script--the forum software's acting up right now, and I can't be bothered putting up a picture.)

• Like 1

Saa-mun is rising-mid.

Chuut-chaat is low-low.

Kee-oh is falling-low.

Gaan sa-daeng ork means "expression", as in self-expression... I don't think that's exactly what the OP was looking for.

As for the final example about not saying thank you to servers in a restaurant or bar, yes, that would be mai su-paap (falling, low-falling) or sia maa-ra-yaat (rising, mid-high-falling)--impolite, rude--in a western context, but I don't think it's expected here.

Gaan sa-daeng ork means "expression", as in self-expression

I don’t doubt that’s the correct meaning of the expression. However, Thai people have said the expression to me when referring to a person who I would refer to in English as a show-off. I remember one particular conversation when the expression was used to refer to someone who wears chunky, fake gold jewelry – the type sold on tables in shopping malls for 99 baht.

Maybe a incorrect but common misuse of the term?

This might fit some of those. In the Longdo Dict - kee- uat is defined as

given to showing off. Also kee uat is listed as a Syn. of ostentatious.

ostentatious

adjective

characterized by vulgar or pretentious display; designed to impress or attract notice

soundclip for kee uat

kee uat.mp3

I was thinking บ้านนอก too. Reminded me of this this clip I saw recently where the top-voted comment at the top of the page was "3.30เด้นบ้านนอกมากวะ" whistling.gif

Edited by katana

How about when trying to use the word common as in 'commonplace' or describing something which you see every day and is not out of the ordinary at all. Also used to describe someone who is a bit lower in their actions or class. ???

How about when trying to use the word common as in 'commonplace' or describing something which you see every day and is not out of the ordinary at all. Also used to describe someone who is a bit lower in their actions or class. ???

คนธรรมดา khohnM thamM maH daaM Though I'm not sure it has the idea of low class that you're suggesting.

Ordinary person- from www.thai-language.com

[EDIT: Increased font size]

Edited by Slip

I think that the term ‘Common ‘ is a shortened version of the phrase ‘Common as Muck’

It is ,of course ,derisory.

That term is probably uniquely British and is a reflection of that region’s class system .Probably northern England only.(just a guess)

Suspect that Americans- for example - are unlikely to use it.

Doubt if Thailand has a similar phrase.

I would use the following terms:

เป็นของธรรมดา - a common practice

or for a little sacrasm use:

กลายเป็นประเพณี - it's a culturing thing

smile.png

First question, choice of two common (no pun intended) words,

ปรกติ prokati, means normal common or usual.

ธรรมดา tammada, same as above.

Second question, normal everyday Thai the following is used and understood by all Thais,

เรียบร้อย riap roi, means in this case, polite or well mannered, so impolite or lacking in manners would be,

ไม่เรียบร้อย mai riap roi.

เรียบร้อย can be used for all sorts of descriptions such as way of dress, actions, manners and appearance.

Actually I find the most common (no pun intended again :D) use of เรียบร้อย is for everyday tasks that have been completed satisfactorily, such as a service transaction, an action such as cleaning something or assembling something, comfortably winning a sporting competition etc. In fact เรียบร้อย has to be one of the most common :lol: everyday expressions.

As as pointed out above, เรียบร้อย also means to be polite, neat etc.

Here is a whole page full of uses of เรียบร้อย

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/1392960.html

I think that the term ‘Common ‘ is a shortened version of the phrase ‘Common as Muck’

It is ,of course ,derisory.

That term is probably uniquely British and is a reflection of that region’s class system .Probably northern England only.(just a guess)

Suspect that Americans- for example - are unlikely to use it.

Doubt if Thailand has a similar phrase.

Just a minute just a minute....

Most of Britain's Prime Ministers for some decades have come from Grammar Schools, whose pupils, though elite, are from across all the population. Whereas America is rating much lower than Europe, and falling, on social mobility....which is part of the myth of anyone can make it in America.

Measurably, if you want to live the American Dream you should go to Denmark Norway or Finland!

That aside thanks for the great answers.....