Thai Govt To Allow Pregnant Migrant Workers To Give Birth Here

webfact

My wife and I are both Australian and our daughter was born in Bangkok 6 years ago and 2 days after she was born a Government official attached to Bummungrad came to visit us at the hospital to clearly explain that she did not have Thai Citizenship, then pointed it out on the Birth Certificate and more. We had not even thought about the idea of it and yet they were all over us like in a panic or something.

One more note to all this, our daughter was born premature and at the time Bangkok Pattaya could not look after a premature baby and all the local hospitals including Chonburi who could look after a premature birth refused to assist us, so through the help of the Australian Embassy we had to risk my wife being medicvac to Bangkok to save our daughter.

All the local hospitals just hung up on us or said go away. The one that disgusted us the most was Bangkok Pattaya, even though they knew they could not help us they gave us a letter saying they wanted 1 million baht up front before they would assist us.

On the other hand, if 2 Thais were say in holiday in Australia and they had a baby the baby is given the option of becoming an Australian.

Rather than help you, even though you had the money, they would rather your wife get a medivac to Bangkok and risk the life of your daughter in the process. That is the sort of treatment (or lack of) that makes foreigners hate Thais.

I find it funny they sent someone to tell you that your child is not a Thai citizen. If they only knew how little it means to be a Thai citizen once you leave Thailand. There is a reason it's difficult for Thais to get a visa to some countries.

There is no shortage of Thai movie stars FLOCKING to USA and other countries to give birth so their child can have dual citizenship, because they know that the new passport and citizenship actually means something.

Why can't they just cross the border have have as many labor as they like over there.

Thailand is poor enough, and if we allow poor population to keep growing, it will only bring down the nation average income /head, or the nation average IQ / head.

Singapore Mr Lee was right.

Cash reward the poor and lowly educated (mostly the non-Chinese) to snip their birth organ.

Tax incentive for the rich and educated (mostly Chinese) to produce more and more children.

http://www.country-d...ry/r-11807.html

By the 1980s, the government had become concerned with the low rate of population growth and with the relative failure of the most highly educated citizens to have children. The failure of female university graduates to marry and bear children, attributed in part to the apparent preference of male university graduates for less highly educated wives, was singled out by Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew in 1983 as a serious social problem. In 1984 the government acted to give preferential school admission to children whose mothers were university graduates, while offering grants of S$10,000 (for value of the Singapore dollar--see Glossary) to less educated women who agreed to be sterilized after the birth of their second child. The government also established a Social Development Unit to act as matchmaker for unmarried university graduates. The policies, especially those affecting placement of children in the highly competitive Singapore schools, proved controversial and generally unpopular. In 1985 they were abandoned or modified on the grounds that they had not been effective at increasing the fecundity of educated women.

A frightening prospect ..................... but you never what's around the corner here!

My wife and I are both Australian and our daughter was born in Bangkok 6 years ago and 2 days after she was born a Government official attached to Bummungrad came to visit us at the hospital to clearly explain that she did not have Thai Citizenship, then pointed it out on the Birth Certificate and more. We had not even thought about the idea of it and yet they were all over us like in a panic or something.

One more note to all this, our daughter was born premature and at the time Bangkok Pattaya could not look after a premature baby and all the local hospitals including Chonburi who could look after a premature birth refused to assist us, so through the help of the Australian Embassy we had to risk my wife being medicvac to Bangkok to save our daughter.

All the local hospitals just hung up on us or said go away. The one that disgusted us the most was Bangkok Pattaya, even though they knew they could not help us they gave us a letter saying they wanted 1 million baht up front before they would assist us.

On the other hand, if 2 Thais were say in holiday in Australia and they had a baby the baby is given the option of becoming an Australian.

Rather than help you, even though you had the money, they would rather your wife get a medivac to Bangkok and risk the life of your daughter in the process. That is the sort of treatment (or lack of) that makes foreigners hate Thais.

I find it funny they sent someone to tell you that your child is not a Thai citizen. If they only knew how little it means to be a Thai citizen once you leave Thailand. There is a reason it's difficult for Thais to get a visa to some countries.

There is no shortage of Thai movie stars FLOCKING to USA and other countries to give birth so their child can have dual citizenship, because they know that the new passport and citizenship actually means something.

You're right. Reading your comments I just realized how many Thais I know who are keen to get dual citizenship for their offspring.

Illegal migrants are allowed to give birth legally. That's just the process of giving birth. Legal- at a hospital? Paid by who?

In other countries born babies automatically receive the nationality where they were born.

I've worked with a Srl Lankan woman, she had three kids, all of them born here, all of them stateless.

She worked at a school., so her visa status was okay at that time. No idea about now.........wai.gif

"In other countries born babies automatically receive the nationality where they were born."

Certainly not all countries. Australia is one exception and it is a policy that I endorse wholeheartedly.

It is a law frequently exploited by illegal immigrants - you can't remove us because the baby is a citizen.

Not quite.

Since the 20th of August 1986, a child born in Australia needs at least one parent to be an Australian citizen or a Permanent resident.

The child does not automatically get Australian citizenship.

If however that child remains in Australia, then at age 10 they automatically become Australian citizens.

This rule is most useful to NZ citizens who are allowed to live and work in Australia without restriction, but are not as far as immigration law, permanent residents.