Are Personal Assistants The Same As Working?

iLL

I know you can not work without a work permit, but what about hiring others to work for you?

For example, lets say I want a personal assistant and I pay 10k bhat a month and they just do whatever...

Or another situation, lets say...

I have a personal assistant that I pay 10k bhat a month, but some of the duties also include accounting and web-based tasks.. (for my us business)

Im sure hiring a personal driver isnt a problem, because thats the same as payin or a tuktuk to cater you around town during your stay.

What if your assistant helps bring you a greater return?

Curious on both situations... as I wouldnt consider this working.. but wanted to find out..

thanks

• Like 1

dont know legally but it seems obvious to me that paying someone to get your groceries is not the same as paying them to work for your business. but it is not like you should ever expect to get caught if you are not doing bizness in thailand. if they just come to ur house and do work how will anyone know?

Isn't it obvious?

As soon as you pay somebody to "bring you greater return" or do accounting or web-based tasks for your (US) business, you are definitely working too and need a work permit for your business.

I stay in thailand and I do web based tasks here anyways... I have a us internet business so i can live anywhere as long as I have the internet...

Given this situation, doesnt make me need a work visa.. I dont have to work, or i can... internet is everywhere.

Hiring others to bring a greater return, sure.. understandable.. not allowed.

But hiring others for personal tasks, (with no return) should be ok.

(Just want to make my life more comfortable hehe)

Edited by iLL

I stay in thailand and I do web based tasks here anyways... I have a us internet business so i can live anywhere as long as I have the internet...

Given this situation, doesnt make me need a work visa.. I dont have to work, or i can... internet is everywhere.

Ok so hiring others to bring a greater return, sure.. understandable.. not allowed.

Web based tasks are classed as working you need a WP or you are breaking the law see discussion on the visa section

Isn't it obvious?

As soon as you pay somebody to "bring you greater return" or do accounting or web-based tasks for your (US) business, you are definitely working too and need a work permit for your business.

no, it is not obvious.

working in thailand is defined as:

work means exerting energy regardless you receive a financial of it or not.

so you are here , you breathe.......... the rest is up to the discretion of law enforcementrolleyes.gif .

Edited by JakeBKK
  • Like 1

Hiring others to bring a greater return, sure.. understandable.. not allowed.

You're working here illegally anyway so it wouldn't make much difference.

so you are here , you breathe.......... the rest is up to the discretion of law enforcementrolleyes.gif .

So for someone lifting weights in a gym would technically need a work permit?

Isn't it obvious?

Actually...I dont agree...consider this example: It is well know that legally you can be a 49% owner of Thai limited company and are not required to have a WP provided you are not actively working in the business in any capacity, ie signing papers, therefore in effect paying someone to run the business for you, so cant see how this differ's in some respects from hiring a personal assistant to do the same...if that person was effectively "running" your business for you...

As to "iLL's" post....you actually are working illegally technically speaking, you do require a "work visa"...

If the Thai offical concerned decides you are working by lifting weights in a gym.....then yes...thumbsup.gif

If the Thai offical concerned decides you are working by lifting weights in a gym.....then yes...thumbsup.gif

Not really, it would still have to go before a Judge and for the most part, the Thai judiciary is sensible.

So in this hypothetical situation, it doesn't matter if a labour official / police officer tries to shake you down: the automatic response is, put me in front of a judge then. Watch how they quickly shrink away.

To avoid the type of questions that the OP has raised, my PA's (I currently have three) are paid in cash based on the as-needed classification of their assigned tasks. Everyone seems to be happy with this arrangement.

Not really, it would still have to go before a Judge

Eventually.....wink.png

As i recall it, a while ago there where posts here about people getting arrested by the coppers. What did they do ? They are bar owners sitting in front of the bar and talking to their punters. They where charged with illegal working / promoting their business.

As i recall it, a while ago there where posts here about people getting arrested by the coppers. What did they do ? They are bar owners sitting in front of the bar and talking to their punters. They where charged with illegal working / promoting their business.

Yes, but there's never been a consistent trend of bar owners being nailed this way. Some others got 'caught' by going to the fridge and getting a beer for themselves or passing the HP sauce to a customer having breakfast. These are usually local shakedowns that are fleeting.

My mate owns a bar and he makes sure that if he wants and beer, a cup of tea or a snack, the just asks the staff. Some visitors have thought that he is a right lazy sod but he's been here long enough to know that the Thai sitting twiddling his thumbs on the motorbike across the street like he's waiting for someone may be a plainclothes cop on their weekly slush fund top-up.