Wife's Thai Passport Renewal

My wife's Thai passport expires in September.

We are unable to travel to Thailand to renew it.

We live in the Channel Islands,can we renew it by post either in London or Thailand.

I have tried the Thai embassy in London but cannot get through on their phone line .

Thanks in advance guys.

B.

Be sure it is very recent as the new passport system has just gone into effect and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site took all information down several months ago and has not posted an English replacement page yet.

We live in the Channel Islands,can we renew it by post either in London or Thailand.

I have tried the Thai embassy in London but cannot get through on their phone line .

Thanks in advance guys.

B.

My wife is in the same situation, she has to go to the Thai embassy in London, we are going next monday 23rd, i did get through eventually and spoke to a member of staff, she told me no appointment needed, just send a self addressed envelope for the application forms, recorded delivery, and turn up at the Embassy, my wifes passport also runs out September, but she has had this extended once, so now time for a new E-Passport, Fingerprints etc.

You can download forms of the net, but my wife tells me they are a bit confusing as they ask for Mother and Fathers id cards, so we have sent direct to the Embassy for the forms, no use sending them an E-Mail, does not work, Returned, we have had my wifes family send copys of the id cards, just to be on the safe side.

There is an operator available from 14.00 to 16.00 hours, Mon-Fri, that is who i spoke to, you have got to keep trying, took me ages.

You can not renew Thai Passport by Post.

If you are going to London, there is a damm good hotel near to the Embassy, the QUEENS GATE CONCORD, 3star, booked through the net, 39.00 GBP per person per night, and children free,

Sorry to keep editing this post, this damm Wireless Keyboard keeps playing up.

Edited by Thaicoon

You can download forms of the net, but my wife tells me they are a bit confusing as they ask for Mother and Fathers id cards

Indeed that sounds strange, especially considering parents of many passport holders will be deceased. Perhaps they mean the ID card numbers rather than the cards?

You can download forms of the net, but my wife tells me they are a bit confusing as they ask for Mother and Fathers id cards

Indeed that sounds strange, especially considering parents of many passport holders will be deceased. Perhaps they mean the ID card numbers rather than the cards?

Very strange, I have just been on to the Embassy, cannot beleive it got through first time, only one problem, 2 members of staff there has told me no Appointment needed for new passport, then this morning told by the operator appointment needed, ring this afternoon, canot help us, who's right ?, you can not get any sense off them. i will keep you posted what they tell me this afternoon, as i want to find out as well about these id cards.

If Appointment needed, lets hope i can get one for next monday as hotel booked. seems worse than the british Embassy, it cannot be that bad..............................

You might have the wife read the London web site on Passports while you wait for an answer. Perhaps it will answer you. One thing that you should check is if passport has already been renewed for second 5 years or not.

Lopburi,

Yes it is ID Numbers, sorry not cards but same sort of thing, my wife has not got her mothers ID number and the family cannot find it. surely if a thai has had an ID card, that surely is all that is needed, and an old passport.

The link to the passport page from the Thai embassy, if you download 1, E-passport that is the form that asks for your mother and fathers id Numbers. still trying to get through to them, got extension numbers now, but no answer.

Edited by Thaicoon

ME AGAIN...........................

Huray, Huray.............. Got through and got some sense,

Spoke to a Thai member of staff at 3 oclock, very helpfull, you do need an appointment, so she gave an appointment for 9.30 Monday 23rd, which is spot on.

Bergerac,

Ring the embassy,after 1500, you need extension number 5504 and that will get you through to passport/visa section, and they will give you an appointment. all the best,

All you need for your wifes new passport is a photo, application form, old passport and the wifes ID Card, the thai lady at the embassy told me you can fill the form out at the embassy.

Thanks in advance guys.

B.

Hi Bergerac

Back in Dec 03 my wife managed to extend her Thai passport by post at the Thai UK embassy.

Now looking at her passport page 3 is a section entitled extension of validity and I see it was extended for 5 years using this facility. Might be worth exploring?

Good Luck

TBWG :o

Thanks in advance guys.

B.

Bergerac, im in a very similar situation. I spoke to the embassy yesterday and today, she said if my wife has a 5 year passport and she wants to renew it for another 5 years (i.e. stamp the extension on page 2) then you can go in person (allow 5 days for return of passport) Or renew it by post (allow 2 weeks). She said we don't need an appointment for this but you will need.....

Her Passport

Her ID Card

2 Photos

£25 Postal Order (Not Cheque)

2 copies of her ID card

Self addressed Envelope

and 2 copies (filled out in Thai) of the application form 'form 4'. The form is 5 pages but you only need the first 2 pages.

I will be at the embassy tomorrow to do my wife's passport so I will post again to let you know how it went.

C1

Thanks Chainat,

Please let me know how you get on.

It is great news that they accept renewals by post as it is a major operation for the two of us to get time off work midweek.

Best Regards,

Bergerac.

Just got back from the embassy london. Everything went fine and we had all the info they needed.

I would still get it in early to be on the safe side.

C1

Bergerac,

My wife is in the same situation as yours-she finds it difficult to read the application forms but we do not want to go to the Embassy & would like to extend her passport by post.

Please let me know how you get on with your wife's extension by post.

Lots of confusing info around-lots saying that extensions are no longer available as E-Passports replace the existing ones-http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

Thanks in advance guys.

B.

Bergerac, im in a very similar situation. I spoke to the embassy yesterday and today, she said if my wife has a 5 year passport and she wants to renew it for another 5 years (i.e. stamp the extension on page 2) then you can go in person (allow 5 days for return of passport) Or renew it by post (allow 2 weeks). She said we don't need an appointment for this but you will need.....

Her Passport

Her ID Card

2 Photos

2 copies of her ID card

Self addressed Envelope

and 2 copies (filled out in Thai) of the application form 'form 4'. The form is 5 pages but you only need the first 2 pages.

I will be at the embassy tomorrow to do my wife's passport so I will post again to let you know how it went.

C1

CHAINAT 1,

Can you confirm that your wife's passport was extended & not renewed please as lots of other sources say that extensions are no longer given.

Thanks in advance.

prn6243,

Please let me know how you get on as I have to wait one month for a bi-ligual thai lady to complete the forms.

I will try to contact embassy this week and will post the outcome.

Once again a Big thank you to everyone who has contributed to original post,

Bergerac.

Thanks in advance guys.

B.

Her Passport

Her ID Card

2 Photos

2 copies of her ID card

Self addressed Envelope

C1

CHAINAT 1,

Can you confirm that your wife's passport was extended & not renewed please as lots of other sources say that extensions are no longer given.

Thanks in advance.

prn6243

Yes I can confirm my wifes passport has had a 5 year extension in her original passport. On page 2 of the passport. If you've already had a 5 year extension the you will have to renew your passport in person.

C1

Yes I can confirm my wifes passport has had a 5 year extension in her original passport. On page 2 of the passport. If you've already had a 5 year extension the you will have to renew your passport in person.

I have the strange feeling that not everybody in this thread means the same thing when he writes “renew” or “renewal”, that some mean “extension of validity of the existing passport” while others mean “obtaining a new passport to replace the existing passport”.

-------------

Maestro

Chainat 1

I was told that passport extensions cost £10 but you say you paid £25 so I phoned the Embassy.

I was told that extensions by post are no longer possible as a new E-Passport would be issued and that my wife would have to go to the Embassy.I was told this by a Thai guy but he obviously couldn't be bothered to answer my questions as he passed me back to the phone menu.

I think it depends who you ask as to what answer you get!!!!

You visited the Embassy and your wife's current passport was stamped with a 5-year extension at a cost of £25 and you weren't given a new E-Passport.Is that correct?

Sorry for the checking but I want to be absolutely sure that extensions are still available before I send off the application forms etc.

Sorry for the checking but I want to be absolutely sure that extensions are still available before I send off the application forms etc.
This information posted on the web site of the Hull consulate, apparently on 1 August 2005, says that old passports cannot be extended and that a new E-passport must be obtained.

Of course, the situation may have changed since then; I wouldn’t know.

---------------

Maestro

Just spoken to the Thai consulate in Cardiff, who by the way are a lot more helpful than the embassy in London. She told me you can no longer renew your Thai passport by post, you must appear in person as you have to have the new e passport, so they need fingerprints.

As for my wife she told me that it would be a lot easier just to renew it in Thailand.

Chainat 1

I was told that passport extensions cost £10 but you say you paid £25 so I phoned the Embassy.

I was told that extensions by post are no longer possible as a new E-Passport would be issued and that my wife would have to go to the Embassy.I was told this by a Thai guy but he obviously couldn't be bothered to answer my questions as he passed me back to the phone menu.

I think it depends who you ask as to what answer you get!!!!

You visited the Embassy and your wife's current passport was stamped with a 5-year extension at a cost of £25 and you weren't given a new E-Passport.Is that correct?

Prn6243,

Thats right!

I phoned the Hull embassy and was told we had to visit the London embassy to apply for this new e passport as they require fingerprints! He also said they only have one machine there so can only process 18 passports aday!

I then phoned the London Embassy and spoke to a thai lady who said I can post the current passport etc and get a five year extension. I phoned the next day to find out how long it would take and was told the same thing again by a thai lady.

I ended up going in person because was told it would be quicker.

After going to the London Embassy on the 19th Jan 06 and paying £25 postal order (my wife did NOT have her finger prints taken) the lady at the embassy extend my wifes passport for 5 years by stamping the extension on page 2 of her current passport!

I have read that you have to now apply for the new e passport but this is different to what they say at the embassy.

If you can and have time post all the required doc's and that all important £25 postal order to the embassy and see if they return it! takes 2 weeks.

I have the strange feeling that not everybody in this thread means the same thing when he writes “renew” or “renewal”, that some mean “extension of validity of the existing passport” while others mean “obtaining a new passport to replace the existing passport”.

-------------

Maestro

To clear things up...

Renew - “obtaining a new passport to replace the existing passport”.

Renewal - “obtaining a new passport to replace the existing passport”.

Extension - “extension of validity of the existing passport”

C1

Thanks for current info guys.

Sorry to go over old ground but my wife has her first passport which was issued in Sept 2001.

Does this mean she needs an extention to her current passport ?.

Also how long does a Thai person need days remaining on their passport if they travel back to Thailand ?.

My wifes passport expires on the 27th Sept.

Would she be allowed to travel on the 10th Sept or does she need at least 6 months remaining as we do.

Thanks ,

Bergerac.

Thanks for all the info.

Yesterday I decided to post the application to extend my wife's passport for a further 5 years.

I asked my wife for her ID card. She then told me that it ran out 3 years ago!!!!!!!!We were in Thailand in December & January and she didn't think to renew it!!!!!!

So our only option now is to return to Thailand in December, first to get a new ID card then to extend, if possible, her current passport.

We will be in Thailand first week in Dec & her passport expires on Dec 12.

I don't think the requirement for 6 months remaining on a passport applies to Thais returning home.

Hi Guys, My wife, myself and youngest daughter went to the Thai Embassy last monday 23rd, my wife had an appointment at 9.30, we downloaded all forms off the Embassy website, took all these with us, with photos etc, it took 10 Minutes to take fingerprints etc for the new e-passport, i asked a member of staff there could my eldest daughter's passport be extended, i had it with me, runs out in two years time, she told me No, she will have to have a new e-passport, i found the Embassy very helpfull and efficient, we asked if we could register the birth of my youngest daughter, who is now 4, bit late, they also did this for us and applied for a thai e-passport for the child, this took a bit longer as no paperwork had been done.

we were in the London Eye at 11.30, i found the Embassy and its staff first class. we stayed in London from saturday night untill Wed, next to the Embassy at the Queens Gate Concorde Hote, which was superb, and i found a nice little boozer in Queens Gate mews that had all the draught Beers, Nectar........

My Wife's 5 year extension s running out, so needed an e-passport.

Hi Guys, My wife, myself and youngest daughter went to the Thai Embassy last monday 23rd, my wife had an appointment at 9.30, we downloaded all forms off the Embassy website, took all these with us, with photos etc, it took 10 Minutes to take fingerprints etc for the new e-passport, i asked a member of staff there could my eldest daughter's passport be extended, i had it with me, runs out in two years time, she told me No, she will have to have a new e-passport, i found the Embassy very helpfull and efficient, we asked if we could register the birth of my youngest daughter, who is now 4, bit late, they also did this for us and applied for a thai e-passport for the child, this took a bit longer as no paperwork had been done.

we were in the London Eye at 11.30, i found the Embassy and its staff first class. we stayed in London from saturday night untill Wed, next to the Embassy at the Queens Gate Concorde Hote, which was superb, and i found a nice little boozer in Queens Gate mews that had all the draught Beers, Nectar........

My Wife's 5 year extension s running out, so needed an e-passport.

From my expereince (oct 05) I have to agree. Very fast and efficient in getting the visa for my wife. It can be a bit of a mad house down in that basement section. Quite a few (sometimes strange) people in and out, I guess even for the most patient of people it can be a bit testing.

• 2 months later...

Received passport with 5 year extension this morning.

Just to update this topic guys.

My wife required a 5 year extension to her current passport, after contacting the embassy we were told to download 2 copies of form 3 from the website and enclose the following.

1.£25 postal order

2.2 copies of id card

3.Self add recorded delivery envelope

4.2 copies of completed form and Passport

The process took about ten days and the Embassy even telephoned to inform us that the

Passport had been extended and sent back.

10/10 to the Thai Embassy.

Edited by bergerac

As a concession made by the Thai Foreign Minister, extensions of non-biometric Thai passports are currently only possible outside of Thailand. In Thailand, Thai passports cannot be extended but new ones have to be obtained. Thai biometric e-passports follow the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) Machine Readable Travel Documents (mrtd) biometric enhancement standards.

The Director of the Passport division at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs recently told me that, to prevent fraud, they are not using a typical laser printer for printing the photograph in the new biometric passports. They use a special laser machine to engrave the photograph on multi-layer plastic. Their machine costs more than a million baht each. There are only a few of these special laser machines, less than a handful, in the country. If the local passport office, Thai Embassy or Consulate did not have one of these lasers, then they would have to send the passport applications to where they can be printed. This will add processing time to passport applications.